In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SO CLOSE!

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Every Saturday I scan my change from the week to see if I have any cool, or silver coins... Years are 1932 - 1964.... And 64 is not ALWAYS silver.. Well, I got a 65 laying in front of me, dang dang dang!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    AH! found another 1965.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    you collect coins jacob? i can send you some from here if you do,just let me know if your interested.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:I][:I] sorry jacob...i just realised your looking for ones with silver in them...my mistake...disregard the previous post.[:I][:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    [:I][:I] sorry jacob...i just realised your looking for ones with silver in them...my mistake...disregard the previous post.[:I][:I]
    I collect ALLLLLLL kinds of coins. Good buddy Mond from across the "pond" sent me some from his area.. You in same place? Really neat looking. Ive collected coins since I was little, my uncle got me into it.

Just neat finding ones with silver in them in pocket change.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Went to pay for my coffee the other day, dime I was about to give away a a Mercury-head 1916 dime. Some kid probably robbed his dad's collection, then went nuts at the mini-mart.

Still, worth about 3 bucks. Not a bad turnover....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jacob, if you want some from here send me your address and i`ll send you some. 1c 2c coins aren`t used here anymore(copper) we still have 5c 10c 20c 50c $1 coins and $2 coins...the 20c,50c and $1 have different designs on them depending on the year, i won`t be able to send you one of each because some are rare enough for me to keep when i find them[:D] but i can send you a good collection of them if you want.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Hay Dan, Any of them have Tasmanian devils on'em??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no...no devils on them yet. the animal embelem for my state is the thylacine..or marsupial wolf...more commonly called the tasmanian tiger, they are supposed to be extinct, but every now and then someone claims to have seen one..there are a lot of placs they could hide here.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Went to pay for my coffee the other day, dime I was about to give away a a Mercury-head 1916 dime. Some kid probably robbed his dad's collection, then went nuts at the mini-mart.

Still, worth about 3 bucks. Not a bad turnover....

See if it has a "D" mintmark on the back - if it does, it is the key to the Mercury series. Worth at least $1500 or more.

1916d_dime_rev_pcgs66fb.jpg
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    Years are 1932 - 1964.... And 64 is not ALWAYS silver.. Well, I got a 65 laying in front of me, dang dang dang!

Are you talking about US coins? Excluding the penny and the nickel all 1964 US coins are 90% silver. Matter of fact, 1965-1967 quarters are 40% silver! And another surprise silver find is 1942-1945 nickels! Also the 1970 Proof half dollar is silver as well as the 1976 Proof Ike Dollar.

While most people belive that ALL pre 64 coins are silver, they in fact are not. The 3 cent nickel is not.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    Years are 1932 - 1964.... And 64 is not ALWAYS silver.. Well, I got a 65 laying in front of me, dang dang dang!

Are you talking about US coins? Excluding the penny and the nickel all 1964 US coins are 90% silver. Matter of fact, 1965-1967 quarters are 40% silver! And another surprise silver find is 1942-1945 nickels! Also the 1970 Proof half dollar is silver as well as the 1976 Proof Ike Dollar.

While most people belive that ALL pre 64 coins are silver, they in fact are not. The 3 cent nickel is not.

65 to 67 quarters are not 40% silver. You might be thinking of Kennedy halves, of which 65-69 are 40% silver. There are no 40% silver quarters of any year.
  • Options
    chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put all pocket change in a coffee can. About once a month me and the daughter(12) go thru it and set aside older ones. Have everythhing from 64 quarters to indian heads to chinese (sister in law is Chinese) Daughter really gets into it! Wish I still had my grandfathers collection. He went out and got one of each coin for the year each of his kids birth, and grandkids. My uncle got them eventhough grandpa gave them to me. I got his 1917 and grat gramps coach gun. Little bro sold them while I was in Tx though. Love to find them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah. I have a pocket change jar (sometimes called my floor!) and I pick out the old ones, throw em in my Coin box after looking them over... The rest I take to walmart to the coin machine and cash them in. Cheaper than buying the rollers.