In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shriner/Masons

D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Since the "other" post asked for us NON members not to reply, I'll do it here.

I worked for a Chief of Police once that was a Shriner/Mason and I have seen entirely too much good ol' boy tactics. I've seen DUI's get dropped, arrest records deleted and Officers reprimanded and finally run off because of the Shriner/Mason BROTHERHOOD.

I was soured toward them forever due to this. I have thought about it at length. Early in my career I was approached and asked to attend a meeting. I asked how it would benefit me. No one would answer. I talked about it with many people and it always came back to a network of good ol' boys helping good ol' boys. No one ever mentioned anything about it being a Christian organization or anything.

Once this Chief became Potentate for a year, nothing else mattered. It was all Shriner business.

I want to believe that all of them aren't like this, but the system, IMHO, is rampant with those that are.
offended.jpg

Comments

• storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew

I worked for a Chief of Police once that was a Shriner/Mason and I have seen entirely too much good ol' boy tactics. I've seen DUI's get dropped, arrest records deleted and Officers reprimanded and finally run off because of the Shriner/Mason BROTHERHOOD.

I was soured toward them forever due to this. I have thought about it at length. Early in my career I was approached and asked to attend a meeting. I asked how it would benefit me. No one would answer. I talked about it with many people and it always came back to a network of good ol' boys helping good ol' boys. No one ever mentioned anything about it being a Christian organization or anything.

Once this Chief became Potentate for a year, nothing else mattered. It was all Shriner business.

I want to believe that all of them aren't like this, but the system, IMHO, is rampant with those that are.
    offended.jpg

lots of diferences in the scottish rite and york rite.

im not a shriner and will never be one.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I like those little go-carts...
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1

offended.jpg

Not going to even touch the religious aspects of Diesm...but I can say that my faith forbids members from taking Eucharist (communion) if you are a member of a secret society. You are also forbidden from having a Masonic funeral in a church graveyard, and cannot do the mumbo jumbo ceremonies in the church at the funeral service.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    I used to be a Lion member, we did a lot of good things; but mostly it was an excuse to get out drink beer and play poker [:D][:D][:D]
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Must have struck a nerve. Was this taboo for some?
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have seen no evidence of that to which you refer, except Masculine camaraderie and charitable works.

The network of Shriner's Hospitals has never charged a family for the care of their child, nor has a child ever been turned down.

Masons are pretty wonderful Men.

Doug
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,024 ******
    edited November -1
    Nobody told you that you had to ride a goat through the middle of town at midnight during a full moon?
    Oh, that's right, we don't do that anymore.[;)][;)]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I have seen no evidence of that to which you refer, except Masculine camaraderie and charitable works.

The network of Shriner's Hospitals has never charged a family for the care of their child, nor has a child ever been turned down.

Doug

I am sure they are. Never said they did not do good works....Just saying that some churches, mine included, forbid members Eucharist if they are members. I know why and agree with it, but I am not saying that members of secret societies do not do good works. Hell, the UN does good works.
  • robbie_light_04robbie_light_04 Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

Doug

That is 100% correct. I have gone to the Shriner's Hospital in Chicago from the time I was 5 , up until I was 19. I agree completely, Masons are pretty wonderful.
    edited November -1
    I agree that the Shriners Hospitals do very good things. My main grip was/is the good ol' boy network that rears it's ugly head and puts some people above the law. I have seen it happen.

Like I said, "I want to believe that all of them aren't like this, but the system, IMHO, is rampant with those that are."
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1

offended.jpg

I'm gonna run up the BS flag on this one.

You are never asked to join or to attend meetings.
    edited November -1
    I was asked to attend by a Shriner. Several of the other members agreed that I should attend after I asked them about the invitation.
    edited November -1
    Never say never.
    edited November -1
    Elks, Mooses (Meese??), VFW, Knights of Columbus...hell there are lots of "good ol boy" outfits.

Probably hundreds.

Doug
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    I have been recruited. I declined the offer. So much for "we don't recruit."

I have seen the "good ol' boy" stuff aforementioned. Had a police chief who was big into Masonry, and would believe ANY Mason over any of his officers. He also altered reports, dropped charges, and even ran off an outstanding officer, all because it was what his Mason buddies wanted.

Heck, it's in their own rules and regulations. If a Mason is on trial and another Mason is on the jury, and if the accused gives the "high sign" of distress, that Mason on the jury is bound by his oath to hang the jury up with a "not guilty" vote, no matter what the evidence shows. I don't see how anyone can be a Mason and a peace officer.

Dad was one for many years. After he started studying the Bible in-depth, at Christ For The Nations Institute, he felt led away from Masonry, and sent in his resignation. The local lodge refused to accept his resignation, and voted to pay his dues for him for several years. He also lived in fear that his former brother Masons would come to him in the night and kill him for resigning.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    86- I got agree with you for once. Even Hitler was a nice on some days [:0]
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I have been recruited. I declined the offer. So much for "we don't recruit."

I have seen the "good ol' boy" stuff aforementioned. Had a police chief who was big into Masonry, and would believe ANY Mason over any of his officers. He also altered reports, dropped charges, and even ran off an outstanding officer, all because it was what his Mason buddies wanted.

Heck, it's in their own rules and regulations. If a Mason is on trial and another Mason is on the jury, and if the accused gives the "high sign" of distress, that Mason on the jury is bound by his oath to hang the jury up with a "not guilty" vote, no matter what the evidence shows. I don't see how anyone can be a Mason and a peace officer.

Dad was one for many years. After he started studying the Bible in-depth, at Christ For The Nations Institute, he felt led away from Masonry, and sent in his resignation. The local lodge refused to accept his resignation, and voted to pay his dues for him for several years. He also lived in fear that his former brother Masons would come to him in the night and kill him for resigning.

You are a fruit cake and a liar who watched too much television.

Pretty strong words from someone BLINDED by the occultic nature of a grown-men's treehouse club, don't you think? For all the "collective good" mentioned above, the masonic lodge has probably led more people AWAY from truth, justice, righteousness, et al than any other single influence. Mr. Nunn has stated the case quite accurately, IMHO and experience.
    edited November -1
    I think it is poor judgment to call people names on this Forum.

I think it is akin to absolute foolhardiness to call David Nunn names on this Forum.

It is probably fortunate that there is a cushion of cyberspace between the two of you.

I can't help but believe that you wouldn't say things like that to his face.

The debate notwithstanding.

Doug
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,024 ******
    edited November -1
    You take that back. Nunn is not a liar![8D]
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have laughed my * off reading some of this BS. if it is such a secret organization, how do so many of you non members know so much[:D]
    edited November -1
    They don't.

Doug
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well so much for the battering of Mason's/ Shriner's. I know quite a few even some in our small town. Not a bad thing to say about any of them. Outstanding citizens. One is even a Judge. Been in their courtroom many of times. I never seen a waived or unfair verdict.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, just for grins, I'll take a nickel's worth of this argument.

First, the Masonic Orders are NOT a "secret society"- or if they are, it's the first one I have seen where the members plainly wear a ring or lapel pin to show they are a member. There are portions of the rituals that are reserved for fellow masons. That does not make them a "secret society" any more than my local bank is a secret society (Yeah, there's only 3 people at the bank that have the combination to the vault, and they don't tell anybody!) For a secret society, there sure are a lot of people that know a lot about an organization they don't belong to!

Second- the "good ole boy" net- yeah, have seen it- associated with every club, fraternity, or social group you can name. Humans are imperfect. Masons do not take an oath to let other masons get away from punishment, but to help a WORTHY fellow mason AND THEIR FAMILY to the extent you can. If I am on a jury, the accused has committed a crime, the term WORTHY is in serious doubt.

Is it a Christian organization? In general, no. My lodge has several Jewish members. I am aware of no one that believes in God being refused membership- some religions DO prohibit their members from becoming Masons. On the other hand, I don't think the Knights of Columbus will allow my Southern Baptist butt to join them ! [:p]

If I left the lodge tomorrow, would I worry about someone coming to kill me? Not likely, since there is a process called "Demitting" to leave. Yes, there are imperfect persons who are masons. In general, the masons I have known have been of higher moral quality than the average person. Yes, we had a member commit a serious crime. Yes, he went to prison. Yes, he was removed from the fraternity- as happens to people that engage in Unmasonic conduct.

As far as getting into a hissy fit, and calling people fruitcakes and liars- am just real happy I am not related to you or have to work with you. You seem to have a really low panic mode setting. And damned little class.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the informing post. My Mom is an Eastern Star. Better get on the phone and tell her the sky is falling on here today...[:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our lead man in the sawmill I worked at years ago was a real PRICK!
    Also a Mason.
    I didn't like him because he was a prick.
    [8D]barto[8D]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:You are a fruit cake and a liar who watched too much television.

Not nice. Name calling is not allowed. I got my information from several books on the subject, not television.

quote: i have laughed my * off reading some of this BS. if it is such a secret organization, how do so many of you non members know so much

Because sometimes, members get out and then talk or write books about their experience.

quote:Well so much for the battering of Mason's/ Shriner's. I know quite a few even some in our small town. Not a bad thing to say about any of them. Outstanding citizens. One is even a Judge. Been in their courtroom many of times. I never seen a waived or unfair verdict.

I am not battering, only reporting my experiences. If you want to be one, go be one. No skin off my nose. On account of things my dad told me and things I have read, I won't be joining.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My Dad was a Mason and a Knight Templar, And I was De Molay, There is stuff but not much that is really secret about any of them, They have been know to do some very good work within communities.

The drawback in some cases is many "Christian" churches are against Masons. My father and my Family were invited to leave a "Christian" church because of my fathers affiliation with the Masons.. Wasnt that nice of them???
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    My Dad was a Mason and a Knight Templar, And I was De Molay, There is stuff but not much that is really secret about any of them, They have been know to do some very good work within communities.

The drawback in some cases is many "Christian" churches are against Masons. My father and my Family were invited to leave a "Christian" church because of my fathers affiliation with the Masons.. Wasnt that nice of them???

It was proper for them to ask you to leave.

Not a matter of being "nice".

You obviously did not believe like them and a christian church does not need to condone idolatry.
    Our church would do the same.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1

I've seen indifference, passive racism, two-faced people, liars, and loads of hypocrisy in church, and people trying to bend the bible to fit their agenda. I have been to many different churches and I haven't found one that was different. I will just read my bible and worship the Lord from home from now on.

I have known many masons, all of my great uncles, and my grandfather, as well as several other people. People I have known that were masons were usually pretty good people.

My grandfather, who was above all a christian man, never talked about it much, but he didn't usually say much unless there was something that needed to be said. He never tried to recruit my dad or me, so I don't think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he didn't tell me to stay away from it, which he certainly would have if it wasn't a good organization.

My grandfather did quit going to meetings after he retired, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the masons. More than likely he just didn't feel like having to be somewhere at a certain time, he more than earned that right.
  • texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can argue religion and masons forever, and none of us are going to accomplish anything.

...and I have known several masons that are Baptist and Church of Christ preachers, so how do you think they justify their actions?...
    edited November -1
    They are the covert division.

Doug
    edited November -1
    I have a Golf Club, from the Kosair charities. Sold at auction to get money for the Kosair childrens hospital.. The do do some good work...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texshooter
    We can argue religion and masons forever, and none of us are going to accomplish anything.

...and I have known several masons that are Baptist and Church of Christ preachers, so how do you think they justify their actions?...

I would seriously question their faith...I'm quite certain that there are MANY religious folks involved, but very few true Believers. If there are any Believers, they've got to be ignorant of either their faith (baby Christians), or the organization they are part of. The two do not mix...like oil and water.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick

It was proper for them to ask you to leave.
    Not a matter of being "nice".

You obviously did not believe like them and a christian church does not need to condone idolatry.
    Our church would do the same.

No, it was not, neither was it Christ-like to do so.

Many Christians wonder why people detest them so much, and this serves as a prime example. Imagine that; a church turning away someone who does not believe as they do.

Tell me, what is the purpose of the church? Is it not to spread the gospel, or am I wrong? You see, many churches have turned into nothing but a social gathering; a clique, and it is due in no small part to the attitudes of the folks that are members there.

The previous church I attended (Baptist) turned into what I have just described. We had a fellow come in one Sunday evening before the service started. He was unkempt, and smelled of alcohol. Not one person save myself and a couple of others even approached him, and welcomed him in. Most just gasped and gawked with looks of judgement. I saw our 'pastor' go back to where the fellow was sitting. He called him out to the vestibule, and asked him to leave. Told him that drunkards were not welcome.

I did not stay for the service, and it was the last time I ever set foot in that church.

The church I attend now is what a church should be, and we have a pastor that has a true passion for souls. He is steadfast and unwavering in his beliefs, but he's turned away no one. He believes in ministering the gospel to anyone, not just a select few.