In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP!! I've got poison ivy!!!!

SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
Well, I cut up some trees in the yard that were blown down by the storms last week, and now I have poison ivy on both arms, the back of my neck, and my chest!!! I AM IN AGONY!!!! Is there any quick cure for this madness???

Comments

• Options
    KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oatmeal bath is so relaxing and releaves itching, I got poison ivy went to hospital im real alergic to it tho. Oatmeal bath made it stop itching and drys it out.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always used a oral antihistamine when one of my daughters get poison oak,(for some reason it doesn't affect me} it seems to take some of the edge off and helps them sleep.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Other than the obvious, what makes up an oatmeal bath?
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mom uses some stuff called Ivy Dry

works wonders
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are injections for severe cases.

Epsom Salt baths will help dry it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can get it at like cvs or walgreens. Im telling you this stuff is great!
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Jewel Weed....It usually grows close to Poison Ivy,and Nettles. (try the nearest ditch line) The quicker applied the better. And the Oatmeal Bath. It works wonders on a lot of skin probs. Theres a commercial brand on the shelves that I cant remember the name of. (dang crs) or just powder regular old Quaker or whatever brand oats in the blender and use that. Big plus is that you can use breakfast leftovers as a poltice.

Allen
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calomine & benadryl
    [;)]
    It is fun to rub on anyone who passes by[}:)][}:)]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    If'n all those new fangled cures don't work-
    wash the area real good like with soap and water and let air dry.
    Next, rub down the infected area with table salt.
    [that's what my ma used on me when i was little and probably has contributed to me abeing wonderfully warped today[:(]]
    It does work tho especially if your out in the wilderness hunting and such and can't get to a Walmart pharmacy[;)]
    The salt will dry out the poison.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if you call two weeks quick, but that's about what it takes.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the same thing ... only probably worse ... cleaning up the underbrush for a friend near the marsh by the ocean. We burned piles and piles of the stuff. Not very smart!

It was terrible ... head to toe & everywhere in between ... total agony for weeks/months. I tried everything over the counter you could get nothing helped very much. I had to go to the Doctor twice for steroid treatments.

I still cannot wear a wrist watch. He said it would be in my system for three years.

The only thing that he gave me that reall y helped was a prescription ointment called: Fluocinonide Cream made and distributed by TARO Pharmaceuticals, Inc Bramalea, Ontario, Canada. It was a miraculous cream! I still uses a little dab from time to time.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Don't wait med dude, go down to the hospital and get an injection.

Either that, or stop by Lowe's and get a BUNCH of sandpaper.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once you blister, the first damage is done. If you can wash with soap and water in the first 2 minutes of exposure, it will help. After that, you are damaged. Attention now goes to controlling the itch, so that damaged skin is not further damaged by scratching. Yes to ivy dri, yes to see your doc for steriods. Oatmeal bath can help unless you have large areas of damaged skin (infection hazard) Salt? No. There USED to be a homeopathic product sold under name of rhus tox that worked well for me- tiny little sugar pills size of birdshot- but have not seen it in years. Was an extract of poison oak- which has the botanical name Rhus. Tox.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    You're gonna laugh at this
    but when I get a mild case
    of poison ivy, I scratch the infected
    area and rub bleach over it.
    Done deal.
    BUT if it's in a tender area call
    the doctor.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SLIDER-in-KY
    Other than the obvious, what makes up an oatmeal bath?

I prefer "Fruit Loops" myself [:p]
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Wash the area with ether. Burns like crazy, but it will dry it up quicker than anything else.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    every time you think you have it bad scroll down, and look at this

WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC

poisinivy1.jpg

poisinivy2.jpg
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    every time you think you have it bad scroll down, and look at this

WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC

poisinivy1.jpg

poisinivy2.jpg

Now THAT is what I call a REACTION!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will never understand people that come to a gun board for medical advice. Guess I better watch it or I will be gone.

Anyway, see a doctor. Then only admit to having it on your hands and knees from now on.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IV antihistamines (Tagamet/Benadryl) and corticosteroids (Solucortef/Solumedrol) followed by the same via oral route x 3-5 days. Benadryl lotion might also help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I took a patient into the ER this morning, and pulled one of the ER docs aside and asked him for some help. He wrote me a prescription for steroids. He said that it should be gone in a couple of days after I start taking the steroids!! Now, I've got this poison ivy in one eye, and one ear!!
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911 - Is that you?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Well, I cut up some trees in the yard that were blown down by the storms last week, and now I have poison ivy on both arms, the back of my neck, and my chest!!! I AM IN AGONY!!!! Is there any quick cure for this madness???
    Aren't you a paramedic?

Try horticortisone cream with a 2% solution instead of a 1% solution. Benadryl, I think, is the only one making it at 2%.

Go to the store and get Aveeno Oatmeal body wash. Bathe with it.
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berts Bees Poison Ivy Soap. At Rural King, Walgreens, etc.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Ouch, that looks painful. I have been in poison oak and ivy several times but I have NEVER had ANY reaction. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
  • Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Get to the doc's office and get a shot (I'm not sure of what). My wife had it bad last year after mulching and she went in, got the shot, and it was pretty much gone in two days. Her itching stopped within hours of the shot.

• Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    In my younger and foolish days I used to scratch the poision ivy infected area until it bled, then I'd spray Gumout carbuerator cleaner on it. It worked for the itching, but left nasty marks and scabs.[:0][B)]

quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    Wash the area with ether. Burns like crazy, but it will dry it up quicker than anything else.
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ether, bleach, carb cleaner, you guys are tougher than Krogers meat.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    1911 - Is that you?

nope, i pulled them off a few web sights last summer when a friend though he was dieing from a small infection on his wrist
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Ivy dry. Keep applying it about 4 times a day til you can see impeovement. Takes about 3 days.
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOMBORO powder. You can buy it at any drug store and wal mart. Comes in a blue and white stripped box. Just mix the little packets up with enough water to make a paste. Do not add too much water. Put the paste on the area and good buy poison ivy/oak/sumac/etc...

The guy at the drug store turned me on to this about 5 years ago when I had it all over me. Wow did it work. It is an astrigent and it cleans everything off the skin.

good luck
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drill Sgt thought it would be fun roll my platoon around in that stuff the week before we left for AIT. I had it all over my thigh up to my crotch in AIT. Man was that an oozing itching mess!
  • Options
    gladdguygladdguy Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dirt dobbers nest, crush it up into a fine powder, sift it on it through a panty hose. We have plenty of dirt dobbers in florida, I'm sure there are probally plenty in kentucky as well. I got poison ivy real bad all over at the nudist camp, trust me, it works well.