In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rcrx's kids racer.....PIC HEAVY!

rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
As we've broached on, many, many times, we're 'racers'...(not like those tools on Madhouse :) )

After last season the car we bought needed a little attention. For those new to the story, My kid Blane, (The Boy) has been racin since he was 6, (Karts) and switched to cars at age 11 (just turning 15 in november) over the last 2 years in the cars, he and a couple of other guys, oh triple his age, began stinkin up the show, riding roughshod over everyone at 5 differnt tracks.

well we decided that since we had a little time, we'd 'reskin' the car. since it's pure stock, we're forced to run a power booster, that was until I found out that a 2 1/2 year only car, the Ugly 78-80 Buick century/ Olds salon. After a 2 month search we found one...here's the progression....

this car was in a junkyard for about 16 years...
[img][/img][img][/img]1102091614b.jpg

this is what we were hopin to get close to...
[img][/img]1111091759.jpg

Of course, with every wheel locked up, it broke in half when we unloaded it ....
[img][/img]1106091353.jpg

skinnin a car is the ultimate azzpain....
[img][/img]1115091714.jpg

the body was mocked up...5 TIMES!
[img][/img]1115091916.jpg

Frame refurbished and painted.....
[img][/img]0211101937.jpg

The body mounted the final time, every panel is welded. (rather than rivited) We were uh...'creative' with the mounting, raking the front end 3", and chopping the top 3". we welded and filled the trunk, so there are no seams in this car.....
[img][/img]0223101856.jpg

Then the paint came....
[img][/img]0224101753.jpg

[img][/img]0224101921.jpg

[img][/img]0225102016.jpg

[img][/img]0301100017.jpg
[img][/img]0301100012.jpg

The paint color is an orange we mix here at the shop, with scarab red pearl, and auto air waterborn sparkle, the graphics are various shades of blue and deep purple, and with the pearl over it, you never know what color combo you're gonna get....

We'll keep you posted, as we are waiting on the vinyl and it goes to the mall show this week. if you have Facebook, check out his 'Fan Page' at..........
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Boy-Race-Team/284907630862

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    That is awsome. Hope it turnes out like you want it to.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I raced alot when I was younger. It was lots of fun and pretty cheap back then. I'm surprised that they let you do those body mods in pure stock.
    One thing I would suggest is to take alot of pictures at the track. You'll like them when he gets older. Wish I would have taken more.
    Tom
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    EXCELLENT WORK...im impressed[;)][:D]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Showed the pics to my 10 yo son. He was impressed, so am I. Keep us informed as to his Nascar debute! You have the same child rearing theory I have. Keep em busy enough, they don't have time to get in trouble.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice project...
    Agree with lots of images. Engage all family and freinds available.
    Enjoy the process.
  • Options
    big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outstanding![^][^]
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reminds me of my race days. great l@@king car
  • Options
    frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Car looks good,except for the GM part. I would sugest building a Ford for racing,but at least your putting something together.I'm hoping to put a Mustang together for a 4cyl class this year.Last year I bought a garage and started helping a father,son team which gave me the fever again.We had alot of ups and downs from mid-season on.The son car lost an axle,got the front end knocked over,and some other issues,but still finished 2nd in the points.His dad's car got alot of tires cut and blew the motor up.Luckily the head wasn't hurt and I had a bottom end from when I raced.He got a win and 3 seconds out of the last 5 races and won the points.
    Well good luck this season and keep us posted on how things are going. Just remember theres 2 kinds of racecars,cheaters and loosers,just don't get caught[:D].
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Looks great Mike! I remember the racin' days, and they were a blast.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Looks like quite the project.

How's Andrea doing...haven't seen her post in a while.?.?
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: we're forced to run a power booster, that was until I found out that a 2 1/2 year only car, the Ugly 78-80 Buick century/ Olds salon

Can someone put that in English?
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JasonV
    quote: we're forced to run a power booster, that was until I found out that a 2 1/2 year only car, the Ugly 78-80 Buick century/ Olds salon

Can someone put that in English?

Most GM 'metric, (cutlass, gran prix regal monte carlos came with power brakes. meaning if you hit the brakes in or during the corner they 'push' (don't turn) This body style had power brakes as an option, meaning we can ditch the power brakes, in favor of manuals, which will allow us to 'tune' the braking giving a little more rear brake to help the rear end transition in the center of the turn. This body was only made for 2 1/2 years, and was one of the biggest sales dogs that GM ever offered for sales. And since they are very rare, and we chopped. raked and generally crapped on the rules with regards to the body, when they complain, all I have to do is say to the tech guys.."ok, well let's park another one next to it and measure......
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the explanation. I like it[8D]
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well we made it to the Olean Mall show...stickers were still goin on as the flatbed arrived to haul it....

we'll Get some pics of it at the show, but a couple are posted on another topic....
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Looks like quite the project.

How's Andrea doing...haven't seen her post in a while.?.?

+1?

That looks like a LOT of work! I'm envious of you guys...(not all the work, but how much you guys must like to be with each other and do things together.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    Nice! I dont dig much on circle tracks but racing brings our family together. Were heading up in a few weeks for Tampa vs Orlando at Lakeland Motorsports park. Its only eighth mile racing, but it will be nice to lay a beatdown on the orlando guys.