In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cable/dish/Roku???

MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
I have free tv with 50 some channels but want to upgrade to cable of some sort. I remember you guys suggesting Roku and a few other options.
So, what is the best thing going right now for tv. Thsnks in advance[:)]

Comments

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roku is 8.00 a month. Try it and see if you like it. I dont watch much television so its good for me.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Cable, Dish Network, Direct Network, Roku and Red box ~ get them ALL and there still won't be squat worth watching most of the time.

[:o)]

+1000

I grew up, like most here, with channels
    2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13.

ABC, NBC, CBS, WOR, PIX, NPT

and we were entertained.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Cable, Dish Network, Direct Network, Roku and Red box ~ get them ALL and there still won't be squat worth watching most of the time.

[:o)]

Agree 100%
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    If you have broadband go with Roku, my brother has it and I'm impressed with it
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ghoulardi and Elvira on UHF black and white TV.

That was the good life.

EDIT: can't forget Svenghoulie!
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    Roku is 8.00 a month. Try it and see if you like it. I dont watch much television so its good for me.

Actually, there is no monthly charge with Roku. For Roku you only pay for the Roku box. The only monthly charges depends on your selected subscriptions for particular channels (re: Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO, etc.) which you can cancel at anytime. There are 100's of "free" channels.

I have 2 Roku 3's and thoroughly enjoy them. I have an outside over-the-air antenna and pickup about 40 "free" local channels.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roku works with your cable; you must have cable first. And, you either plug it into your computer or you must have wifi.

With basic Roku, the "channels" you get aren't worth watching. You have to pay extra each month for Netflix, or pay for Amazon Prime to be able to watch their content.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have a Samsung Smart TV that is hooked up to a Roku with Netflix and Hulu, under $20 per month and you get to watch what you want when you want, I'll never go back to cable
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah your right, I meant Netflix. quote:Originally posted by beneteau
    quote:Originally posted by steve45

Actually, there is no monthly charge with Roku. For Roku you only pay for the Roku box. The only monthly charges depends on your selected subscriptions for particular channels (re: Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO, etc.) which you can cancel at anytime. There are 100's of "free" channels.

I have 2 Roku 3's and thoroughly enjoy them. I have an outside over-the-air antenna and pickup about 40 "free" local channels.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:With basic Roku, the "channels" you get aren't worth watching.
    Such as ESPN where you can watch replays of all the games you didn't have time to watch, or every program on PBS, History, Lifetime plus hundreds more, I even have 10 different channels for nothing but classic TV shows from the 50's and 60's like The Rifleman or Sky King
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860
    Roku 3

yep...it has the games on it... [:)]