In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Somebody was using my credit card number.

GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Which one of you bums is it![:(!] (joke) I checked my credit card balance and somebody has been buying stuff. I have the credit card so somehow somebody got the number. Weird stuff too like womens shoes, the kind my wife doesn't wear and my address is where it is shipped.(??) Also some dating service and some {elsewhere} stuff. I cancelled the card but it sure is weird. I am real paranoid now.

Comments

• Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Send me the cc3, incl pin

I will stop it real fast.

I will max it out buying guns on GB within a few days, then it will stop.

I know I can, I did it with one a few weeks back.

I found out my mouse has a hair trigger, and seems to go off all by itself.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Yep-38 blow up rubber dollies. Each with Nunn's face. Ecc's butt w/dual exhaust[:0]
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Yep-38 blow up rubber dollies. Each with Nunn's face. Ecc's butt w/dual exhaust[:0]
    LMAO!!!
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong

that's sick sick0025.gif
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    quote:Gotteskrieger Posted - 08/31/2010 : 1:14:16 PM
    Which one of you bums is it! (joke) I checked my credit card balance and somebody has been buying stuff. I have the credit card so somehow somebody got the number. Weird stuff too like womens shoes, the kind my wife doesn't wear and my address is where it is shipped.(??) Also some dating service and some {elsewhere} stuff. I cancelled the card but it sure is weird. I am real paranoid now.

Sure its not the wife, the items being shipped to your home would be a waste for a c.c. thief.
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    I won an auction on here a few years back. I paid with my CC. A couple of months later I get a call from my CC company wanting to know if I had been to XYZ city recently. I told them no and they informed me of 3 large purchases from that city made that day and the day before.

I got lucky in that the CC company was suspicious because I rarely used that card so they checked up on it. I did not have to pay for the charges, but I also told them the only time I hade used the card for the last 6 months was to pay for my gun bought from XXX gun shop, and I told them exactly who to contact at said shop.

I would have loved to known what transpired when the CC company contacted to gun shop. (if they ever did)
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""Sure its not the wife, the items being shipped to your home would be a waste for a c.c. thief.""

Not so. In a good con, you don't know you are being robbed. After the small items arrive at your house, the con man will call like he was "investigating" the crime as if he worked for the cc company. He has much of your info already, but he will get the rest from YOU. And then, BINGO !! next month $4000 is on your bill. Bob
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    I have been identity thefted twice in Las Vegas in the last 6 months. The last time I left 3 cards in a bag in my room because I forgot I brought them (they are seldom-used business cards). Someone went thru the bag, found them, and even cloned one of the cards. In bad economic times theft, especially white collar theft like this, is rampant. Any waiter or waitress can write down your card info or clone your card. Thieves are using skimmers to intercept legitimate ATM and POS transactions. Some cards have embedded chips that transmit the card number and the card can be compromised while it is in your pocket. Thieves also will go through your mail if you leave it in your mailbox to get your CC statements. Pick up your mail every day.

Fortunately you are not liable as long as you report it within 60 days of the statement date. Watch your statements carefully and report unauthorized transactions immediately.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Card-number theft is frequently tied to it's most recent use, and that often gives the card's issuer a start on looking into how the card number got loose. The card numbers and security codes are frequently sold by the thief, and the buyer usually doesn't waste any time. But credit card issuers review spending patterns, and usually stop the scam early.

The last event of that type that I had was when I used my card to order parts from a big parts supplier. I hadn't used the card for several months, and within days there were charges being posted against it in both Florida and California. The Bank froze the card, and called me. They covered 100% of the losses (Bank of America - VISA), and issued me a new card. Interestingly, some of the charges were over the internet, which tied the fraudulent use of the card number to a particular address (that's one reason why the prison population is now measured in 75 digits. Geniuses are everywhere. [:D])

The ugliest one, and apparently a real anomaly in the banking system, involved an 'NRA Master Card' that the NRA talked me into taking. There shortly appeared a sizable cash withdrawal on the statement, from an ATM in California. I called the bank and told them that I had never used the card, and had never lost it, and that someone must have fraudulently used my card number to make the withdrawal. The bank said that the card had to be physically present in order to make such a withdrawal. I replied that, then, they had made two cards and had given one of them to someone else. They said they had made only one card. They also said, however, that my liability would be limited to $50. I replied that my liability would be zero, because if everything they said was true, it pointed to an internal theft by the bank's computer systems people. They said that wasn't possible. I told them that I was a Department Head on financial computer systems at the University of Wisconsin, and that I would quickly prove that it was possible. The bank then instantly agreed to make my liability, zero.

Needless to say, I canceled that account immediately.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only happened to me once,.....ordered a Dell computer as a gift for my mother. I typically do stuff online, but for some reason I had to call to ask a question.

Got the question answered, and the 20 year old sounding kid asked me if I would like to go ahead and order it now on the phone. I did.

A few days later I get a message on my answering machine from my CC company asking me to call them. Someone signed up for 3 different online dating services, and also ordered flowers.

They killed my card, and wiped all charges of course.
    I also gave them the little turds name that I was 99.9% sure did it. They were interested, but I doubt anything happened.

Had a new card in three days,....and all charges reversed. No problem!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your house, dating service, womens shoes. Better start asking questions real quick. [;)]
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    It happened to me a couple of years ago to the tune of $2500.At the time my daughter was filming down in San Rafael and we were stopping overnight and of course eating in restaurants so when paying the waiter would take the card away to stripe it.I dont let my card out of my sight any more.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glyn
    It happened to me a couple of years ago to the tune of $2500.At the time my daughter was filming down in San Rafael and we were stopping overnight and of course eating in restaurants so when paying the waiter would take the card away to stripe it.I dont let my card out of my sight any more.

I agree that restaurants are one of the biggest chances you take. Of course I am talking about a sit down place where a waitress/waiter takes your card and bill to the back.

Double whammy there, young people that are usually angry about what they are making, and the fact your card is swiped out of sight.

If I ate out I would certainly follow them to the terminal location to make sure something is not written down. If they would not allow that, I just got a free meal!

Next is what I did,.....ordering something over the phone.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner