In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hungarian ak for $995.00 ?

chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Was browsing on another site and found a new hungarian ak for $995.00. I bet whoever buys that one will be butt sore.

Comments

• M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was a Preban SA 85 imported by Kassnar I would buy it. If it is one of the many parts guns I would not. The Hungarians make a good solid AK 47.
    edited November -1
    Whats the link?
  • chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by M1Garandlover
    If it was a Preban SA 85 imported by Kassnar I would buy it. If it is one of the many parts guns I would not. The Hungarians make a good solid AK 47.

Its new and its a ten arms. I didnt put a link, cause I didnt think GB would appreciate advertising for another gun site.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You'd never get my Kassnar away from me at $995.
    [img][/img]hungarianAK.jpg
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1

+1

7122432-ccc.jpg
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiligunguy
    Was browsing on another site and found a new hungarian ak for $995.00. I bet whoever buys that one will be butt sore.
    Yeah, but it will be consensual.
    edited November -1
    Even the post ban guns which are marked KBI are of very high quality and in todays market might bring close to $900.
    (NOTE- You must replace the needed number of Hungarian parts with USA made parts to make these modifications):
    [img][/img]HungarianAMD-65.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian

You'd never get my Kassnar away from me at $995.

+1000!!

7407023-26b.JPG
    edited November -1
    mark christian
    Advanced Member

USA
    5943 Posts
    Posted - 05/17/2009 : 11:12:25 AM

Even the post ban guns which are marked KBI are of very high quality and in todays market might bring close to $900.
    (NOTE- You must replace the needed number of Hungarian parts with USA made parts to make these modifications):

Hey Mark, Nothing against the post ban guns. I just prefer the preban stuff. I have heard that the AMD folders are quite accurate but have never shot one?
    edited November -1
    Hey Mark, Nothing against the post ban guns. I just prefer the preban stuff. I have heard that the AMD folders are quite accurate but have never shot one?

I agree with you completely. The problem is ponying up the kind of cash it takes to buy a Kassnar. I bought my own rifle directly from Nationwide Sports and it cost $299 plus $8 to ship it. I've been wanting to get one of the hard to find fixed stocked Kassnars so that I can have a complete set. While I realize that prices will increase over the course of 20+ years, being just a dirt poor gun dealer (rather than a rich and powerful lawyer) I find it impossible to spend around $1800 for a rifle which I once paid $300 for!
    [img][/img]hungarianAK6.jpg
    [img][/img]hungarianAK3.jpg
    [img][/img]hungarianAK4.jpg
    [img][/img]hungarianAK5.jpg
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I posted two links to GB auctions for Arsenal inc milled reciever AKs for that same price yesterday. I think I'd go with the Arsenal.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hungarians are widely considered to be the best quality and most handsome of the AK family.
    edited November -1
    Yes Mark, I hear ya. It is interesting that the fixed stock is more rare and brings higher prices, but I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong here Mark, there were only 3000 fixed stocks imported and 5000 folders.

One fixed stock was destroyed at David Koresh's compound...

I bought one of these folders at a gun shop two or three years ago with no box for $375!!!

7122435-6d9.jpg

Is this the one you are looking for Mark?[:D]

7122425-a95.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    I posted two links to GB auctions for Arsenal inc milled reciever AKs for that same price yesterday. I think I'd go with the Arsenal.

If you want a milled receiver the Bulgarian is about your only choice unless you can scare up a Polytech. The Arsenal AK-47s (and they are real AK-47s and not AKMs) are very nice but there are too many painted parts (like the bolt carrier) on the Bulgarians and once the paint starts to peel (which happens quick when the rifle is fired) the rifle looks tacky. Notice the carrier on my own Arsenal:
    [img][/img]AK-47s1.jpg
    edited November -1

are very nice but there are too many painted parts (like the bolt carrier) on the Bulgarians and once the paint starts to peel (which happens quick when the rifle is fired) the rifle looks tacky.

True. I bought my Arsenal as a shooter to keep the Kassnars nice!

7121990-7a1.jpg
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That will most likely degrade the resale value.

The fit and finnish on the pre ban hungarians look beautiful.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    Yes Mark, I hear ya. It is interesting that the fixed stock is more rare and brings higher prices, but I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong here Mark, there were only 3000 fixed stocks imported and 5000 folders.

Is this the one you are looking for Mark?[:D]

7122425-a95.jpg

That is it. I have a "knock off" version but since it is not original it naturally drives me crazy and I usually don't show it:
    [img][/img]AK-47s2.jpg

All of the Kassnar Hungarian AKs were allowed importation due to an administrative error by US Customs. When these were imported Hungary was still deep behind the Iron Curtain and Hungarian firearms were not commercially importable into the United States. The story goes that the clerk at Customs confused Hungary with Yugoslavia (who's firearms were importable) and approved the release of the rifles. This mistake was eventually noticed and all further imports of the Kassnar AKs (as well as a Hungarian copy of the Browning High Power that Kassnar also imported) was discontinued. By the time the Iron Curtain parted and Hungarian firearms were fully importable the '89 Bush ban was in effect and additional AKs could not be imported. Kassnar folded and returned later as KBI and began importing a post ban AK with the (by then) typical thumb hole stock.
    edited November -1

[img][/img]AK-47s2.jpg

I remember that gun! (Though your background has changed![:D])

Always great talking Kassnar AK's with ya!
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice AK's guys![:p]
    Here is a "pimped" fix for those tacky bolt carriers. This is on my Vector Arms AK.

AKBolt.jpg
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner