In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HVAC -FIXED!!

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Woke up at 0330 to no a/c. I figured this outdoor unit would crap out at some point with all these high temps. Of course it has to happen on a week end, at the beginning of what is supposed to be a scorcher of a week.

The fan on the outdoor unit is not running and I can hear an electrical binding noise. I've shut it off at the breaker. You HVAC guys is that likely the entire unit gone to HVAC heaven?

Fortunately I store a couple window units in the event of power loss, so it's survivable. One was brand new in the box so I installed that in the master bedroom.

Murphy and his timing, sumbich has a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    Condenser fan start capacitor?
    Call Blue Ridge Heating and air. They won?t hose you.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, starting capacitors gone bad. It's a $15 item you can change yourself. If you are careful you can give the fan a manual spin and it should start right up and begin working again. You'll have to turn the breaker back on first though.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave the breaker off and use a long screwdriver or stick and see if the blade will turn easily. If the blade is hard to turn the motor is shot.

If you can turn the blade easily you might get bny with a starting cap but doubtful.
    99% of time its the motor, assuming you are talking about the condenser fan motor. Since you heard it go out the compressor is most likely still ok. If you had been away and the compressor kept on running it gets to the melt down area.

I keep one of these ready (and had to use it couple weeks ago) on my outside unit) and they will usually work as a replacement for both the condenser fan and the evaporator fan motors, Buy the new starting cap with the motor, if you can do the replacement yourself and save some big bucks and get cool faster, usually. Just make sure it is turning the proper direction when you get it installed and do get the fan blade attached really securely, I've seen the condenser fan eventually work loose and come off due to retaining bolt eventually vibrating loose, sometimes few months later. I keep a window unit around also as a backup for Murphy's law. 100F and plus in this neck of the woods. Few years ago you could not get me around a A/C, but now days I need cool air to survive when it's gets around or above 90F and high humidity. One of the hottest jobs is installing or working on a A/C unit on a hot day so as to try to get some cool air.[;)]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-O-Smith-Century-ORM5458-Condenser-Fan-Motor-1-3-1-6-HP-1075-RPM-208-230-Volt/222614135116?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys are a bunch of damn geniuses!!! Blades turned easily..put breaker back on, turned on A/C, went out and starting the blade with a screw driver and the A/C appears to be running!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perhaps I spoke to soon, the compressor fan is running, but doesn't feel like it is pushing out that cold of air. I will have to let it run and see. I suppose with the fan stopped and it trying to run something else could have been damaged.
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spinning the blades will get the fan running, but the compressor may not be running. Look at the run capacitor and see if it looks swelled anywhere, probably on the end where the wires go. If it is you may just need a new capacitor. If you change it yourself, pay attention what wire goes where. Capacitor is marked (fan)-(herm)-(c).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by festus
    Spinning the blades will get the fan running, but the compressor may not be running. Look at the run capacitor and see if it looks swelled anywhere, probably on the end where the wires go. If it is you may just need a new capacitor. If you change it yourself, pay attention what wire goes where. Capacitor is marked (fan)-(herm)-(c).

Yes watched a youtube video that explained all that...took the cover off and the capacitor is swelled(domed) on the top...wife is out shopping, hoping Lowes or HD have the one I need. Explained everything including cutting the power and discharging it before I mess with it..I'm gonna take pics before I unhook it to make sure it goes back as intended.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the dual cap, and not even unusual in periods of high heat. If you have an RE Michel Co. location near you they are open until noon, and will probably sell you a cap.

You could even charge it on my account if needed.

https://www.remichel.com/WebServices/LocateBranch
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    It's the dual cap, and not even unusual in periods of high heat. If you have an RE Michel Co. location near you they are open until noon, and will probably sell you a cap.

Thanks but I was able to pick up a run/start capacitor at an appliance place...thank God!!! Got it in, and a/c is working!!! Cost me $18 for the part, fine minute switcharoo....hopefully this will solve the issues.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS to all those that contributed and educated me so i could fix this without spending $500!!!
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The compressor has a high temp overload switch. It will reset itself once the compressor cools off. Go put a garden hose on it to cool everything......It usually takes about 2 hours or so for a compressor to cool off once it hits the over-temp switch. Maybe the water will quickly reset everything.

Regardless, that starting capacitor will be needed everytime that fan motor starts. Unless you are standing there with a stick to spin the fan.

I've never found capacitors at Lowe's/Home Depot. I don't think they sell them. Anyone else know for sure?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    The compressor has a high temp overload switch. It will reset itself once the compressor cools off. Go put a garden hose on it to cool everything......It usually takes about 2 hours or so for a compressor to cool off once it hits the over-temp switch. Maybe the water will quickly reset everything.

Regardless, that starting capacitor will be needed everytime that fan motor starts. Unless you are standing there with a stick to spin the fan.

I've never found capacitors at Lowe's/Home Depot. I don't think they sell them. Anyone else know for sure?

My wife went to Lowes and HD and they do not sell them. I checked couple other appliance parts stores and one I've used before for dryer parts had them in stock. It is a bit of a drive, but was obviously worth it. They were $18 a piece which is less than a $1.00 more than Amazon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you compressor re-start?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you compressor re-start?

Yes, when I discovered the problem it was 0330 this morning. I turned it off at the breaker several hours before I picked up a new capacitor. I replaced the run/start capicitor and everything is running well, it's 90 out and my house temp is 70.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,016 ******
    edited November -1
    You done good,congrats on the fix it yourself!!![^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

Yeah, but Okie, Knife and JimD got me on the correct path to figure out what the problem was...Youtube is a saver too...I wonder how much this would have cost as an emergency call on a week end? $300-400?
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Very glad it worked out for you Brother.

I've had (and currently have) several appliance break downs in the last month. (Feel jinxed.) You take that stuff for granted. (Like a refrigerator.) Until they do not work.

Once again, I'm glad you got it up and running. Yes, this place is a plethora of helpful information, and good Folks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Thanks but I was able to pick up a run/start capacitor at an appliance place...thank God!!! Got it in, and a/c is working!!! Cost me $18 for the part, fine minute switcharoo....hopefully this will solve the issues.

Good news!!

Capacitor failure is probably THE most common issue this time of year,....contactors are a close second, or third.

The caps can fail open, shorted, or simply become out of tolerance and no longer put out the listed microfarad rating. Bulging or leaking 'oil' is a dead giveaway.

Depending on the company, and the dual cap size, that repair would probably run you between 250 and 400 bucks over the weekend around here.

Congrats on saving some dough.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,016 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

Yeah, but Okie, Knife and JimD got me on the correct path to figure out what the problem was...Youtube is a saver too...I wonder how much this would have cost as an emergency call on a week end? $300-400?
    Yes sir,darn good folks that'll help a guy out. 3-4 hundred??,I'm betting so,easy.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and for the do it yourselfers that 4 in one fan motor I posted above with the new running cap is worth having around at the ready to save some big bucks and heavy sweating or severe cold in winter also. It's a universal fit for most heat/air as the inside fan and the outside condenser fan.

Murphy finally smiled on you and slapped Mayhem back out of the way[;)].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    and for the do it yourselfers that 4 in one fan motor I posted above with the new running cap is worth having around at the ready to save some big bucks and heavy sweating or severe cold in winter also. It's a universal fit for most heat/air as the inside fan and the outside condenser fan.

Okie, can you recommend a capacitor that I should keep on hand as well? I have about 10 rent houses, and try to keep a few extra critical parts on hand. All of my A/C's are 2 ton to 4 ton range
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

Okie, can you recommend a capacitor that I should keep on hand as well? I have about 10 rent houses, and try to keep a few extra critical parts on hand. All of my A/C's are 2 ton to 4 ton range

http://www.americanradionic.com/products/turbo-200/

One of these will replace a bunch of different cap ratings. They can get you out of a pinch, but probably cheaper to buy individual caps that match the ratings you have on your equipment.