In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If he'd had a gun, I'd be dead...

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
Laugh at/with me on this one...

Just got back from a three day canoe trip on the Brazos River. Seldom get to go alone, always with friends or clients. Going with others is fun, ask Nunn, but there's something special about going several days without seeing or hearing any living person. The silence, except for critters and the rush of the water is special to me. No TV, no phones, no traffic sounds, all that left behind.

Well, I take only a 22/45 Ruger in case I spot a squrrel. No problem if I don't, I can be very happy eating grilled fish for three days. Not claming to be a world class shooter, but I'm pretty good with a pistol. That is with my feet on solid ground...

I've shot plenty for supper with a 22 pistol on various hunting trips, and on river trips as well. But, I've always been on terra firma. Shot plenty from a canoe, but with a rifle or usually a 410.

So, I pass this SQ, a fat young one that looks at me like WHAT are you? I'm in a narrow channel, the waters moving fast, but I stop the canoe and back paddle to the base of his tree. He just sits there and looks at me like I'm the first human he's ever seen.

I beach the nose of the boat, grab my Ruger, feed it a shell, and he's still just sitting there...amused it seems. I take aim and fire, he doesn't even move!

I shoot again, he jumps maybe three inches, and shakes his tail! I shoot a third time and he starts chattering at me, and not a scratch on 'em!

I give up, the boats rocking, and that's my excuse...
I ate fish again, and was glad to have it.

After three shots, I figured he deserved to live.
But, if the SQ would have had a gun, I'd be gone...[;)]

Also had a rattler at face level on a boulder, and a beaver that attacked my boat while I was in camp, rained one evening as I was starting my fire, but my bivy was up, camp made and the rain wasn't hard enough to put out my fire so it didn't matter to me, and... lots more stories that come with any trip into nature...

Back at my desk today,
daydreaming about the next adventure...[:D]

So, what did y'all talk about for the last three days? [:0]

Comments

• Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like FUN!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds interesting tell us about the Rattler?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I sat and read your post and as I did a feeling of calm and envy came over me....
    Would love to be out there, and yes there is something so special about being in the woods alone...
    And if it was me out there?...I would eat fish 24/7 and love it....

Sounds like a wonderful time...very serene, renewal time for the soul...
    cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Outdoor, one of these days I am gonna make it to texas and go with you.

Reading that while I am stuck at home in front of this computer took me to a far better place for a few minutes.

Thanks for posting that.

JuJu(relaxed, at least for now)
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Great post ODT. Very interesting story, but now that your a "known quantity" in the SQ world, you better watch your back [:D].

NSDQ!

American_IR_Flag.jpgr6team.gifNS_Crest.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Events like yours are what keep folks going...

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER Forget RUBY RIDGE
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    Lock and load
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, thought it was worth sharing. Wish I could take each of you, just over an hour from the house but you can go down river for two-to-six days and usually never see a soul!

Grilled bass for three days isn't bad at all. I fillet them, cover 'em good with Lemon Pepper and lay 'em over the coals!
    A touch more salt is all they ever need to be just about perfect.
    I broil one strip at a time, pull it off and put on the next. By the time you eat one, the next one is done...repeat as often as needed for a full stomach! [;)]

Maybe the reason the SQ wasn't scared of me is because he has no living relatives to tell him to be leery! [:D]
    Of course after missing him three times...
    maybe he'll still be in the area when I'm really needing him...[;)]
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing like being alone in the outdoors. Every fall I go hunting for three weeks and am alone most the time. I enjoy watching the animals and the peace and quiet. After a while it is nice to talk to someone though.

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making good memories is what it's all about. If you'd just been in the office that day, it would be long forgotten soon, but you'll remember missing that squirrel from now on......sounds like a good trip.........[^][^]
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    I can honestly say something like this has never happenend to me.[;)]

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I betcha' ol' Chevyman could've hit that darned SQ on the 1st. shot!

STIR.......STIR[:D][:D]

Tideman
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Hey OUTDOOR,

You ever hear of "barking" a squirrel?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tide...
    poor ol' Dusty don't even know how to paddle...[;)]
    "sides, I heard he uses five-gallon buckets for targets at five-yards, practicin' for his concealed permit...ya know, put 'em all on the paper and ya pass! [:D]

rugster,
    you asked about the "coontail", I'd just caught a 2-1/2, maybe three pound smallmouth (nice size for our rivers here)and my boat drifted up beside a boulder in the river. Looked up, and that sucker was eye to eye with me...only thing that kept him from striking (I guess) was it was still early, maybe 60-degrees and he was sunnin' to get warmed up. Had my rod in one hand, fish in the other...used the rod to push off into the current. I took lots of fish and nature pics, too pumped to think about taking one of the rattler!
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Great story, great times!![:)][:)][:)]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    ODT
    That was a real good read.[:D][:D] Really enjoyed it, thanks.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It just keeps gettin' better...
    the jokes and teasin' from my lady.

Keep in mind, 28 years together,
    and every single one of our anniversaries we've celebrated by camping in the mountains. No elec., no restrooms, nothing but nature,
    I'm tellin' ya I got a winner!

Well, I fed her plenty of fish and critters over the years, never complains, always brags on my abilities. Well, the SQ story gave her a good laugh, now she hollars at me to look outside at her bird feeder...

Pole has rusted enough this young fella has made it to the groceries,
    he's sittin' up there gettin' fat and happy. Deb tells me I should shoot him, put him in the freezer, then I can take him with me on the next river trip...[:0]
  • Options
    TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ODT,
    Just wondering,
    Do you have a special made life jacket for the bottle of "Crown".[:D]

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's probably why he couldn't hit that squirrel, TwoDogs!

They don't call it a "Life Jacket" for nothin'!![:D][:D]

Tideman [[:D] in TEXAS]
  • Options
    Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the old man cant hit a little old squirrel, but i bet he wouldnt and couldnt miss a skunk! Ill bet that is what he actually ate instead of fish, because everybody knows he cant catch a fish to save his life. But he can just look at a skunk and it will fall over dead! Old man , if you ever wanna see some squirrels hit the ground, just come on down here and tag along with me, I'll show you how its done![:D][:D]

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My buddies,
    all three of ya in a row...
    One bullet is all it'd take. [;)]
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is a pic of him after all the shots[:0]
    squirrel.jpg

use_deer.jpgnysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg
    "NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR BLANKIN SHINE BOX!"
    (Billy Batts in Goodfellas)
  • Options
    TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait a second...
    All three of your bud's lined up...one shot..
    I figure Tideman MAY get a foot wound and Dusty and I and the closest tree rat will still be still laughin...

Somehow in this story I get the picture of the critter on "Caddyshack" dancin as you paddled away...

We will fix you up at the Texas met in Frederickburgs this fall.
    Coals good and hot..Dusty will have something for the "oldtimer".

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:After three shots, I figured he deserved to live.
    have to agree with you there[;)]

Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    FEG PJK-9HP(HiPower)
    EAA Witness 10mm
    Ruger MK1
    Springfield M1903
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    20044308577222067028573.jpg
    banner-big.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ODT, if there is a heaven, it is a place where trips like these happen every day . . . or at least my personal one would be like this. I've BTDT - albeit in a different area of the country, etc. - many times, but even if I could do it every day, it would not be enough. Y'all come up to NH - we may not have so much in the way of bass, but the trout are mighty tasty for breakfast and you will *not* - EVER - be eyeballing poisonous reptiles!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / DemoWipes" (me)
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was standing in a pine forest by the noisy Megalloway River in central Maine, threading a tiny midge onto a two pound tippet when a weasel or mink popped partway out of a hole between my feet. Seeing he was surrounded, he froze. I eased a Browning HiPower out and slowly lined up on him, fired and missed.
    The distance was less than three feet.
    Luck at fishing was better, though, on Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout. Taste was noticeably better if the fish were kept alive until just before cooking.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And,again.

IMO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the story...I sure could use a trip like that, myself right now.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ....blast from the past...I was wondering what outdoortexas was doing posting again...been a long time! Just noticed the date...and many of the old timers.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You and me both,bro...
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    ....blast from the past...I was wondering what outdoortexas was doing posting again...been a long time! Just noticed the date...and many of the old timers.[^]

You need to C&P this, it will not be here long. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

You need to C&P this, it will not be here long. Don

NOW you tell me.
  • Options
    Hoosier71Hoosier71 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds Like Heaven to me. [:)]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,010 ******
    edited November -1
    Jerry, you were one in a million.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2004.... That is a great story. I'm glad someone pulled it up so I could read it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just goes to show how quickly life can pass you by...[:(]
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    As I sit here studying the blue prints for my next job I am jealous. I never have time for such pleasures anymore. Sounds like you had a great time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    As I sit here studying the blue prints for my next job I am jealous. I never have time for such pleasures anymore. Sounds like you had a great time.

Neither does he...that ought to be a lesson, in and of itself.
  • Options
    Tony641Tony641 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds perfect, especially considering I just ran in the house so I would not freeze. It's about -10 here right now. No canoe trips for me anytime soon.