In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

would you want a church in your back yard?

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
There is a mexican congregation who has held a regular church service at a building they rented, 2 years ago they bought the property (5 acres) behind mine, they wanted to buy mine too for use as a parsonage and parking but their offer was half what I can sell this place for. Needless to say, since then I have had a poor taste in my mouth becuase I never even listed my property for sale and I thought their offer was insulting. Especially since they tried to make it like it was something I had to do as a christian...pffft.
Anyway, they had to get a construction loan to proceed with building the church and then obtain permits yada yada I figured this down economy would keep the issue at bay for a long time.
They have a crew out here today that looks like they are going to take the grass (turf) so I am expecting they will begin construction.
I am going to call the county to be sure they have permits the minute I see a power pole go up, a foundation hole cut or a road being graded. I also am going to call INF when I see workers on the job. I have a hunch this will be a project completed with volunteer carpenters and that most will be illegal, willing to work for nothing.
Maybe I am wrong but I do not want a church as a neighbor. I shoot guns in my back yard and I am sure they will try to stop me, not to mention it would be just dumb to shoot in their direction or risk a ricochet.
What do you think? would you want a church for a neighbor? especially after the animosity between you and the pastor?
what would it do to my property value?

Comments

• searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I'm not fond of anybody very close to me, but I believe I'd rather have a church there than a crackhouse. At least there won't be someone there 24/7.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    If it is directly behind you in plain view then your property value just dropped by 80%. In fact, it may be unsaleable.
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way it works around my area is if someone buys a piece of property they can do pretty much whatever they want if they obey the laws. I'm not sure what type of religion your neiboring church will practice, but I'd say it will be vaccant for the most part. I don't think you'll have much of a problem with them.
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did you check zoning reg's. Residential area ?

never mind I see you live in Cuba.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lived with a Church of God right across the street in town for 10 yrs. Never had one problem with them. Even let them park on my property ( which was a rental ) next door when a funeral was done.

Doesn't sound like much of an issue to me. Maybe they will ask you to come over for some taco's. Somebody sold them the property. Had to been one of your neighbors .
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    In my yard? No.
    But they aren't exactly going to be "in YOUR yard" are they? They'll be on THEIR PROPERTY.
    Living near a church? No problem here. As long as it's one of the "usual" types and not some whacko bunch. Sad life fact that get's us all sooner or later. You can't choose your neighbors.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't mind having one called...

The First Church of the Black Rifle. [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    keep shooting. build a good backstop to block out the church and prevent any accidents.

make sure they have all the permits, proper zoning and legal workers. Churches can use free labor like we do when we build homes for the poor, but you need a professional plumber, electrical and foreman that signs off on the construction to make sure it is safe.

Churches in most areas have to have handicapable access and certain provision for the publice. That could really slow them down.

If a church moved next to me and tried to change my lifestyle, I would most certainly make their life a living hell. Christian or not, they are not fascist dictators that can just come in and tell you not to shoot or what to do.

Good luck with that and really consider building a nice dirt backstop to not only stop the bullets but completely block them out of your view if possible.

I'm sure you will have problems with morons parking on your yard.

Universally trespassing is a three time thing. First a warning, second a warning of the third time and third time is full on carnage.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    If you wanted to control who or what your neighbors were you should have brought the land behind you. It belongs to the church and none of your business what they do with it as long as the use of the land is of legal purposes. I personally would rather have a church than a house behind me. The church will be used on Sundays and Wednesdays. The rest of the time it will be empty.

As for shooting, around here if you discharge a firearm within 500' of another building you can go to jail. Better look into the laws before you go off on a wild west shooting spree. They might just make your life a living hell. A smart man makes friends of his neighbors.

And another thing, around here there is this thing called harassment. You start harassing these people you could find yourself in handcuffs.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I don't think parking or encroaching on my property will be an issue at all, they have 5 acres and only 160 members of the congregation. I live out in the country, My place is 3 1/2 acres but three sides of my place are hundreds of acres of farm land. I can see the highway about a mile and a half away.
    the shooting is a big deal but I shoot a different direction out toward the big acreage. If I am even a little bit cautious, my shots will never cross their property.
    I am mostly worried about property values, and the good chance there will be illegal aliens taking sanctuary in that church. (this congregation has been publicly accused of hiding illegal immigrants already)
    I imagine slipgate is being facetious with his prediction of 80% loss of value but it would eliminate 50% of people who would buy the place...
    Honestly, if everything else was fine, would you buy a house next to a hispanic church? or any church....
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I assume your local zoning allows churches. In some places they need to get special permits, so be certain to check with your local planning office. In general, churches make pretty good neighbors -- especially the small ones. Empty most of the time, and quiet even when its occupied. And they usually don't engage in the activities that residential neighbors tick you off with, such as loud parties and bottle rockets at 1 a.m.

At the risk of sounding negative, I'll suggest that if you like to shoot in your back yard you should have bought that 5 acres behing you. Any neighbor there, church or residence or whatever, would eventually make shooting impractical and unsafe. Whether they complained or not. I wish you luck with the neighbors, however. Be friendly.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166

Honestly, if everything else was fine, would you buy a house next to a hispanic church? or any church....

i dont like neighbors but yeah, i wouldn't mind being next to a church. around montana, you see nicer neighborhoods next to the churches because the congrgation looks out for the area and so on....

it would be kinda cool to listen to the music while sleeping in on a sunday...

as far as the mexicants, keep the ICE# on them. no tolerance for that poop myself. my wife is a slovakian. we did all the paperwork, she pays taxes up the wazoo and has memorized more history about America and its government than i could possibly ever remember. WHy should we have to jump thru the hoops as nordic people when the scum suckers can just hop the fence and live here. its bullsgtt and it needs to stop before it starts a race war.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    keep shooting. build a good backstop to block out the church and prevent any accidents.

make sure they have all the permits, proper zoning and legal workers. Churches can use free labor like we do when we build homes for the poor, but you need a professional plumber, electrical and foreman that signs off on the construction to make sure it is safe.Churches in most areas have to have handicapable access and certain provision for the publice. That could really slow them down.

If a church moved next to me and tried to change my lifestyle, I would most certainly make their life a living hell. Christian or not, they are not fascist dictators that can just come in and tell you not to shoot or what to do.

Good luck with that and really consider building a nice dirt backstop to not only stop the bullets but completely block them out of your view if possible.

I'm sure you will have problems with morons parking on your yard.

Universally trespassing is a three time thing. First a warning, second a warning of the third time and third time is full on carnage.

Really? The local building inspector will make sure it is safe. No licensing required to do electrical,plumbing in our area. First time the Church finds out you are riding them about the building they will probably ask you not to return.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I think I would be happy it was not a Muslim Mosque, with the attached tower and the loudspeaker for the call to prayer.[:D]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think 3.5 acres is enough to shoot on with others that close but then who am I
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Speaking as one who grew up in parsonages, I most always had a church in my back or side or front yard. We were fortunate if it was located down the street. Of course those were different days, but I used to shoot in the yard opposite the church--even launched marbles from a cast iron pipe with firecrackers and bounced them off the tin roof of the abandoned house a hundred yards away. People might frown on such activities these days, but sounds like you won't have any issues if you're careful and considerate. Like others have said, you could do MUCH worse for neighbors, IMHO. [;)]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Real simple. IT IS THEIR PROPERTY!! They can do with it as they see fit. And actually churches usually make good neighbors. They are only usually busy on Sundays, or if they are Catholic, Saturday nights and possibly Wenesday's during Lent. However, if you have a problem with what you see going on, is to pull out the Speedo, and make sure to be out front watering the yard each time they have services. Or buy a few hogs and make sure their pen is nearest to the church....but is it not easier to just get along? Maybe attend services and be a good neighbor.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No would not.

Worked next to a Church for a few years. One of the Worst times to be on the road is right after a Church Service. Their minds are not there. Cannot say how many times they almost wrecked me.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    No would not.

Worked next to a Church for a few years. One of the Worst times to be on the road is right after a Church Service. Their minds are not there. Cannot say how many times they almost wrecked me.

Sounda like they were in a hurry to get to heaven.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    No would not.

Or double dipped the communion line!
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:would you want a church in your back yard?

Why? Can't they afford their own land?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    No would not.

My problem was most times I was driving a big Rig. It was a Marine Corps Reserve Center. Sunday Afternoon was when we brought our Equipment in from the field. Actually had to threaten to drive over them to get them to move. Was driving an old M123 with Lowbed. Had a D7g on the trailer. Went to make my turn to the back gate of the Reserve center. These idiots expected me to back up to let them out. This drive was there only for the Reserve Center.

I dropped in in the lowest gear I had and nailed the throttle. When the right front tire came off the ground they backed up quick.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Scott, probably just a Coyote Safe-House where 100 illegals livin' there won't attract any attention...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have beautiful landscaping...
    GTR
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Do you have a home owners association? Check the county for their permits, make sure they have enough parking for the size of the building and restrooms and all that. If you really don't want them there you may be able to present the fact that their building plans are insufficient or they don't have enough parking spaces. These little things could hold them up from building.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    Do you have a home owners association? Check the county for their permits, make sure they have enough parking for the size of the building and restrooms and all that. If you really don't want them there you may be able to present the fact that their building plans are insufficient or they don't have enough parking spaces. These little things could hold them up from building.

I do not understand why you would not want a church for a neighbor. Dad always said the best 3 neighbors a man could have are a graveyard, church or the Amish. Lived near 2 of the 3, but just could not bear living next to the constant CLOP, CLOP, CLOP of the Amish teenagers who would not put mufflers on their buggies.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I don't think 3.5 acres is enough to shoot on with others that close but then who am I

I live next to at least 200 farmed acres, just a huge field. it must be a mile and a half to the highway. I shoot targets from my deck so the trajectoy is downward, no stray bullet ever reaches 50 yards past the target I have set up at 300 yards.

Its just about property value, wasn't sure what a church neighbor would do to mine. Happy to see most here wouldn't mind. but still some say they wouldn't live here for that reason. Im sure others wouldn't buy here for other reasons too...
    edited November -1
    Be carefull shooting when they are having service. Local gun club was popped for shooting here on Sunday morning. Church filed a complaint and won.
  • WCIWCI Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now would be a good time to get in touch with your county commissioners. I would not stress the Mexican factor since this would blow you out of the water for racism. One of my concerns might be that comming from a construction back ground I have noticed that Hispanics as a general whole are very messy people who drop trash ext and never consider picking up. Someone told me how dirty Mexico was and from what I have witnessed I would believe it.
    Your county commissioners will be responsible for Zoning and most would rather something other be there since churches don't pay taxes.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just don't shoot in their direction--although don't be suprised if they call the law on you if you are shootin' during services.[:D] Guess I'm being a bit of a nanny here but scott be careful bout shooting off your deck as all counties in WA can designated no shooting zones-even out in the country--you can call the sheriff to find out for sure as a place that might have been ok at one time no longer is. If you don't live in one of the no shooting zones you also have to be careful as it is usually illegal to shoot that close to a dwelling-even your own--usually it's 500 feet or more away from a dwelling. There is a shooting range in Tacoma that has been there for a very very long time-way before developers came in and built homes. Well now those home owners are all in an uproar because of the noise and some careless shooting that went on. Sad to see a fight like that happen--folks should have really thought about moving next to a range to begin with. Hope your new neighbors aren't Jehovah Witness[:D][:D][:D]
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    You lost all credibility the second you said "mexican" congregation and your assuming that most of their carpenters will be illegal. Just shows your bigot coming out. So much for Christian values.

It is their land, they can do what they want with it as long as they go by the zoning, etc regs.

Maybe they will have real loud weddings, playing their "mexican" music for you. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by P228
    You lost all credibility the second you said "mexican" congregation and your assuming that most of their carpenters will be illegal. Just shows your bigot coming out. So much for Christian values.

It is their land, they can do what they want with it as long as they go by the zoning, etc regs.

Maybe they will have real loud weddings, playing their "mexican" music for you. [:D]

Or cook some Menudo during Easter. Smells real bad, but tastes pretty good.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope... no church next door for me...cannot stand loud hosannas & such...jesus be coming around on holidays & drawing a crowd...then there is the live nativity scene tho mexes would probably barby the goat after it was over....ahhhhhh....roast goat wafting or the neighborhood.....could make a little money by installing parking meters...no clip clop clip clop bang bang drive by shootings, just squeaky hydraulics on low riders....could open an anglo souvenir shop... and every time there is a vehicle accident you get one of these little roadside tableau's to commemorate tequila or stupid...enjoy your new permanent neighbors
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give up, you can't fight the will of god. Since most Mexicans are Catholic, you might have to learn Spanish AND Latin. [:I]

Check out fajita Friday! [:p]
    edited November -1
    Why not just reach out and be a good neighbor? Much better to make friends then enemies.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not want to live next to a church, community center, or school. You can bet there will be kids hiking around on your land. What happens when little Jimmy twists his ankle cutting through your property? Face it your privacy is now gone.

Instead of having 1 neighbor looking at your backyard, you will now have 150 people plus their extended families snooping around your property.

I was looking at a house on line recently. On the ariel view of the house, it looked like there was a business or church next to it. The house may have been the parsonage. Took the street name and put it and the word churches into google. Turns out it was a Jehova Witness church!!!

No way would I want to live next to that. I want privacy. I do not want hundreds of people looking at my stuff, religious or not.
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could do alot worse then a church.
    Frankly, I'm surprized by all these freedom loving people here who start sounding like the Demo's, "We believe in freedom and liberty, as long as you don't move in my neighborhood". Call the home owners association. They'll put a stop to things, including shooting on your own property.
    I used to shoot on a local farm. People bought the adjacent land to the farm and built a couple houses. They objected to the shooting. In the interest of all, I stopped shooting there. You may have lost Sundays and Wednesdays, but you should still be able to shoot at other times of the week.
    Good luck.
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't it against the law to let your lead fall on someone else's property?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the Church might reconsider being behind me. I shoot in my backyard...
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    In my backyard.? Hell no.

But if they keep over on their own property - no problem.