In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lawnmowers

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
cut grass! and when you mow your lawn with tall grass, not only will it get shorter, but the lawnmower will park itself in the garage, like the guy at Earl May tells all his customers.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've been using a battery powered lawnmower for seveal years. But we moved to another place with a little more lawn and its just getting to be too much trouble.

I've got plenty of batteries to take me through the job, but the cutting width just isn't big enough. And it takes too much time to do all the walking thats involved.

So I've got it narrowed down to a John Deere or a Husky.

Deere has a B&S, Husky has a Honda.
    Both have variable speed front wheel drive.
    JD is a little bit more pricey.

I was leaning toward the Deere when the sales guy tells me "this is the last year that Deere is going to be in the homeowner lawn mower line" which (if true) clinches it for me. I'll take a pass rather than search around for replacement parts in 5 years for whatever breaks.

Advice?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What type and size do you use? Around my place I have a John Deere l
    awn tractor for the "back 40" and a Honda for the small cut in work.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Okay, some started earlier than others!

[:D]

Bushie started last night....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to add a serious post to a humors discussion but about 3 of my pals at work have left and joined a company in Indy that is working on a robotic lawnmower. This is not a low budget operation. I believe the owner of the company is one of the two guys that developed and sold what now is called "voice mail". This company bought my favorite golf coarse close to work just to use for their lab. Somehow I don't think anyone will read my reply! Happy New Year guys!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    I hate to add a serious post to a humors discussion but about 3 of my pals at work have left and joined a company in Indy that is working on a robotic lawnmower. This is not a low budget operation. I believe the owner of the company is one of the two guys that developed and sold what now is called "voice mail". This company bought my favorite golf coarse close to work just to use for their lab. Somehow I don't think anyone will read my reply! Happy New Year guys!

What are they trying to do? put the beaners out of work?[:0][}:)][:D]
    Happy new year Jeff.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good one Don. You are right. In the summer you can't drive a few blocks in Indy without Pedro in his F150 driving by with mowers, weed eaters, & 4 helpers in the bed.

Have a good one Don. '09 has to be better than the last 12.

All the best.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    there's a big lawn mower in a really nice shed somewhere that loves everybody.

I think mine hates me, having to stay out in that cold, dark garage with the whiny weed eater and that grumpy outboard boat motor.
    The maintainer it's 4 year old battery feeds off of must be the only thing keeping it from turning on me.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine not only Parks itself but it also cut grass without me being there, plus it answers my phone calls to it, and more [:D][:D]

http://www.bamabots.com/lb3500.htm
  • Options
    GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Toro with an electric start. My woman couldn't start it by hand.