In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammunition/Firearm $$ - will they correct soon?

ksroverksrover Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I've been out for a number of years after the town I used to live in closed the only indoor range and then closed the outdoor range a year later. [:(] But I've sinced moved and am getting back into the love of firearms and target shooting at the local range.

I was really shocked at the increase in prices of ammunition and firearms. In talking with a number of folks, I was surprised to hear that certain firearms (mostly compacts) are backordered indefinitely, they can't keep ammunition on the shelves when it 'does' come in, and the rampid call for .380 ammo. I have heard a lot of different reasons for this increase - from material costs, to politics, to the war in the Middle East, to hoarding.

What are your thoughts to the reasons for these increases since 2001? Do you see prices correcting themselves any time in the near future?

Comments

• MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been over this a GAZILLIOOOOOOONNN times .. Do a search in the forums and you'll get a variety of responses..
  • ksroverksrover Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmm - I did search, but was surprised that nothing came up. Sorry for the redundancy!
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anything corrected? [:(!]

only reason gas in 250 a gallon is becuase people where going broke at 5 bucks a gallon and they couldn't afford it so demand dropped.

Now the market is on the upswing everything is going to start to go up even as demand continues to drop or level off. The speculators gotta get their money before hyper inflation sets in and buying gas, ammo, or anything but food will be a fond memory of the way it used to be [}:)][:(!][V]

I so can't wait for 3 dollar eggs and 15 dollar strips of bacon fun times ahead
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "experts" are saying ammunition should be caught up sometime in Aug/Sept. However, since so much time and resources have been focused on pistol ammunition, there is a good chance there will be shortages of shotgun and rifle shells just in time for seaon. I have encountered 3 people having trouble finding 30-30.

My suggestion is go buy 10 boxes of shotgun shells now, while they are $6-$7 a box. Worse case, you got your shells early, best case, you won't have to hunt for or over pay for your shells come dove season.
  • ksroverksrover Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks thermo. I currently only shoot 9mm, so that could be good news. I know that reload materials are also really hard to find. I've never reloaded, but I have a few friends that do. With prices and materials where they are now - is it still cheaper to reload?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Dallas, I have noticed .25 auto showing up more and more. And of course .40's have been fairly common the past 2 weeks, while not pallets of them laying around or anything, but I picked up 5 boxes last week alone.

I have also noticed a few 9mms showing up, got 4 boxes of those last week as well. What is really crazy, Academy Sports in Mesquite as of yesterday had almost EVERYTHING in stock and in qty!. They had at least 100 bx .357 mag, I have no clue how many 9mm and .40's. They even had .22 bulk packs!

On Memorial day, Rockwall Wal Mart (where I found my .40 and 9mm) on Memorial Day told me he had "PLENTY" of 9mm and .40. They were keeping it behind the counter. And you have to ask them.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    Has anything corrected? [:(!]

only reason gas in 250 a gallon is becuase people where going broke at 5 bucks a gallon and they couldn't afford it so demand dropped.

Now the market is on the upswing everything is going to start to go up even as demand continues to drop or level off. The speculators gotta get their money before hyper inflation sets in and buying gas, ammo, or anything but food will be a fond memory of the way it used to be [}:)][:(!][V]

I so can't wait for 3 dollar eggs and 15 dollar strips of bacon fun times ahead

The man has kind of hit the nail dead center !
    Like gas companies, gun and ammo companies have tested the waters as to how much they can get out of there product and they now have a good idea as to what they can charge for what they make. In my mind you will never see cheap ammo or guns again, it all about the making of a dollar and how cheap they can make it and how high priced they can sell it. Gun and ammo companies have fallen into the game of make a buck any way you can.................
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ksrover
    Thanks thermo. I currently only shoot 9mm, so that could be good news. I know that reload materials are also really hard to find. I've never reloaded, but I have a few friends that do. With prices and materials where they are now - is it still cheaper to reload?

Sure is, price of components have yet to out pace the price of commercially loaded ammunition. They have both gone up but it is still cheaper to reload for most of the common cartridges than buy factory ammo.

At one time 223, 9mm and 45 mil surplus was readily available for purchase and cheaper than you could reload them.

Not any more as surpluses have been exhausted and now aren't much cheaper than OTC counter ammo. Now at 400 bucks a 1000 .40 cents a piece it saves to reload even mil surplus calibers.

Shot shells in 12-20ga would be the only exception that I can think of to the above. 4.50 at wallies and that is what it costs to reload them with virgin shot @25-35 bucks a bag.