In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spartacus?

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
What do you know of naproxen sodium? Is it akin to ibuprofen in that you can take more of it to quell inflammation, for short periods?
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    btt
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    naprosen is typically 500 mg 2 times a day. 3 times a day (1500mg/day) is ok for short periods. 5 days typically.
    naproxen sodium is 550 mg 2X day normally, but can also be increased to 3X day for short periods, 5 days max.
    when you're taking the higher dose always take with food and OTC prilosec 20mg/day is a good idea.
    where do i send my bill?[;)]

tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus
    naprosen is typically 500 mg 2 times a day. 3 times a day (1500mg/day) is ok for short periods. 5 days typically.
    naproxen sodium is 550 mg 2X day normally, but can also be increased to 3X day for short periods, 5 days max.
    when you're taking the higher dose always take with food and OTC prilosec 20mg/day is a good idea.

tom
    thanks. Don't you have my billing address?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Aleve is the over-the-counter (otc) version of Naproxen Sodium. Naprosyn is the brand name for the Rx version and Naproxen Sodium is the Rx generic name.

Anyway, naproxen is a NSAID, or non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug. There are a lot of NSAID's and another familiar NSAID is ibruprofen (Advil and Motrin are familiar otc versions of ibruprofen).

Acetominophen (Tylenol) is something else, but not a NSAID.

I think that the primary focus of all these drugs (including aspirin) is to reduce inflammation and thereby, pain, fever and edema (swelling).

I have found Naproxyn to be good for things like gout and back pain, where asprin and Tylenol don't do as good a job for that.

Here is my personal thinking on naproxen:
    I personally believe that 1500 miligrams (mg) per day of Naproxyn is A LOT and I advise against it, even for a short period of time. In fact, I would avoid any dose of Naproxyn over 500mg per day without consulting my doctor. Even with my doctor's Rx or advice, I don't even think 1000mg per day is acceptable for more than a week at a time. This stuff is metabolized in the liver and kicked out of the body via the kidnies in the form of urine. Overdoses and long-term use can possibly lead to liver and kidney damage and if that happens then it is "game over." So my thinking is that I would be careful with any of these drugs; even the otc versions. If an MD prescribes these things long term, I would demand monthly liver function test via blood work.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I took it for a while for my Arthor Rightass, until it got to my kidneys. Watch how much NSAID you take. They cause kidney function to go down [xx(]
  • Options
    swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    I know a woman who used to be a vet tech and she told me a story about an MD, his Weimaraner and his wife.

The doc was too cheap to take the Weimaraner to the vet so he would give it an Aleve a day for some kind of chronic pain issue.

After a month or two of this the dog was near death.

They took it to the vet together and discovered that either its kidneys or liver were completely shot and had to be put down.

The doc finally admitted what he had done and the vet told him something to the effect of dogs don't break down NSAIDs the same way and really need specialized pain medication.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus

tom
    Incidentally, this has been helping.[:)]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain