In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Well...We had an EVENTFUL day on the river...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
We are experiencing a very late thaw in N. Idaho and we are just now getting some water to paddle (whitewater). My buddy and I went paddling this evening and I always start our kayaking off with prayer asking for the Lord's protection. This afternoon, after a "cursory" prayer, I felt troubled in my spirit...but we went ahead and put on the river. In the very first rapid my buddy flipped and severely broke his nose. I looked back up stream and saw him come out of his boat and as soon as he came to the surface, there was blood everywhere. I was going to try to set his nose for him and we were going to finish our run, but I finally convinced him to paddle the next rapid so that we could take out on the right side of the river, where I could hike back up and get my truck to take him to the emergency room. He ended up flipping and getting his kayak pinned on a rock in the next rapid as well...swimming once again.

Anyway...out of the last 5 times he's been out kayaking with me, he's been in the emergency room twice! He's starting to get a little discouraged...so anyone who doesn't mind lifting Chad up in prayer, I'd certainly appreciate it! We need to do as much as we can to keep ourselves "young". He has to wait about a week for the swelling to go down before they will set his nose.

All my buddies wives end up hating me[:I][B)]...I hope Dawn doesn't get mad at me...and try to influence Chad to quit paddling.

Just filling you folks in on my afternoon.

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Prayer sent for his fast healing. He may want to think about calmer waters, or maybe some new friends...Really..
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    He is included in my prayers ecc. But don't let that discourage him. WHen I was younger, I used to do a little kayaking. I loved it. I even did the snake river once by kayak! Now that was a blast! Anyway prayers said.quote:Originally posted by ECC
    We are experiencing a very late thaw in N. Idaho and we are just now getting some water to paddle (whitewater). My buddy and I went paddling this evening and I always start our kayaking off with prayer asking for the Lord's protection. This afternoon, after a "cursory" prayer, I felt troubled in my spirit...but we went ahead and put on the river. In the very first rapid my buddy flipped and severely broke his nose. I looked back up stream and saw him come out of his boat and as soon as he came to the surface, there was blood everywhere. I was going to try to set his nose for him and we were going to finish our run, but I finally convinced him to paddle the next rapid so that we could take out on the right side of the river, where I could hike back up and get my truck to take him to the emergency room. He ended up flipping and getting his kayak pinned on a rock in the next rapid as well...swimming once again.

Anyway...out of the last 5 times he's been out kayaking with me, he's been in the emergency room twice! He's starting to get a little discouraged...so anyone who doesn't mind lifting Chad up in prayer, I'd certainly appreciate it! We need to do as much as we can to keep ourselves "young". He has to wait about a week for the swelling to go down before they will set his nose.

All my buddies wives end up hating me[:I][B)]...I hope Dawn doesn't get mad at me...and try to influence Chad to quit paddling.

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was Chad ...I wouldnt go kayaking with you anymore[;)]...hope he's ok
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Prayer sent for his fast healing. He may want to think about calmer waters, or maybe some new friends...Really..

How's that going to help? I'd rather have a friend who is there for me any day...than one who wasn't.[?]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mauser54
    He is included in my prayers ecc. But don't let that discourage him. WHen I was younger, I used to do a little kayaking. I loved it. I even did the snake river once by kayak! Now that was a blast! Anyway prayers said.quote:Originally posted by ECC

I'm no youngen' anymore either mauser54...maybe I can talk you into joining us some time!!!![8D]

Heck...I know guys in their 60's still paddling class V water![:)]
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers are there! Just be careful, we don't need to lose a patriot before their time.[;)]

Lance
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was the "Buddy" when I fist started riding dirt bikes. I was always trying to keep up and run the same lines the other guys were, well before I should have.

The school of hard knocks is a tough one but it's a good way to keep pushing your own limits.

I would have to say that hes just not at your level yet, try to tone it down a little until he can keep up.

If your buddy is anything like me, he would never suggest it but would definitely appreciate a little easier run.

It may be boring for you but a serious confidence booster for him.

Just my two shiny pennies! [;)]
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe god is answering your prayer and telling you and your friend that he should give up kayaking.
    edited November -1
    "I was the "Buddy" when I fist started riding dirt bikes. I was always trying to keep up and run the same lines the other guys were, well before I should have."

If it's any consolation,this is what the guy in front of you is living with now..[xx(]
    screwsinmyfoot.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    I was the "Buddy" when I fist started riding dirt bikes. I was always trying to keep up and run the same lines the other guys were, well before I should have.

The school of hard knocks is a tough one but it's a good way to keep pushing your own limits.

I would have to say that hes just not at your level yet, try to tone it down a little until he can keep up.

If your buddy is anything like me, he would never suggest it but would definitely appreciate a little easier run.

It may be boring for you but a serious confidence booster for him.

Just my two shiny pennies! [;)]

That's good advice...problem is, he's not afraid of the river...and he wants to be paddling this kind of water and harder. He's just got to loosen up in his boat a bit...and paddle a little more aggressively. He used to paddle harder stuff than we are running now...

I have no problem backing off a little and giving folks a chance to catch up...the problem is, they don't want to back off.[^]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    "I was the "Buddy" when I fist started riding dirt bikes. I was always trying to keep up and run the same lines the other guys were, well before I should have."

If it's any consolation,this is what the guy in front of you is living with now..[xx(]
    screwsinmyfoot.jpg

I cut my big toe completely off on a bike...it has been surgically reattached....I would not trade my life experiences for the world!
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never let fear and common sense hold me back either! [:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    Maybe god is answering your prayer and telling you and your friend that he should give up kayaking.

Maybe...but I doubt it...I think He may be trying to reach/teach him something...but I don't think it has anything to do with paddling.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    I never let fear and common sense hold me back either! [:p]

[:D][:D][:D] Actually, I've been dealing with a personal, spiritual battle with fear for the last several years...I think I'm breaking through (Praise God). It is completely irrational. I used to be a top notch paddler...but when you lose that mental edge...

I'm quite certain, my battle was on a spiritual level...I hope the Lord has delivered me from it...

Keep on keeping on Bro.[8D]
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Maybe...but I doubt it...I think He may be trying to reach/teach him something...but I don't think it has anything to do with paddling.

I would say he has reached your friend if he has put him in the emergency room twice.

You should not scoff at gods answer to your prayers just because you don't like his answer or think you know better. Just accept it and have faith.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

I would say he has reached your friend if he has put him in the emergency room twice.

You should not scoff at gods answer to your prayers just because you don't like his answer or think you know better. Just accept it and have faith.

No Scoffing here...always looking for God in every situation...I do believe God would like to see this man, and his family, back in church on a regular basis though...
    edited November -1
    "back in church on a regular basis though..."

If it keeps him off the rapids, i think so too...
    edited November -1
    Now that would be fun, been years, But I would do it again. I just don't have a Kayak anymore.

I'm no youngen' anymore either mauser54...maybe I can talk you into joining us some time!!!![8D]

[/quote]
    edited November -1

Now that would be fun, been years, But I would do it again. I just don't have a Kayak anymore.

[/quote]

I've got 3...I can hook you up![:)]
    edited November -1
    Cool! Lets plan on it sometime within the next month or so.[:D]quote:Originally posted by ECC

I've got 3...I can hook you up![:)]
    [/quote]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayer- (seriously) Heavenly Father, please grant this young man the common sense to stop doing things that break his nose. Amen
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,028 ******
    edited November -1
    If boxing was his hobby, would he give up after the first broken nose?
    He just needs better headgear.
    http://www.alpinesportsoutlet.com/p-4036-shred-ready-standard-full-face-helmet.aspx