In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Seatbelt warning for Virginia residents

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
State and local police will be running checkpoints and watching traffic for people not wearing seatbelts from 18 May through the end of the month.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    Yeah, been seeing the "seatbelt enforcement zone" signs around here. Not to worry, if it's too hot, cold, rainish, dark, or snowing, or the first of the month, you're safe around here.[8D]
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seat belt enforcement/check stop right? So why all the questions about where are you going and where are you coming from?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    So why all the questions about where are you going and where are you coming from?

Nosey bastages!!!! Don
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All over the US through the end of the month ..
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Another example of out-of-control Samuel, being predatory, trying to force us into something that purports to protect us from ourselves.

Unconstitutional checkpoints, for whatever nanny-state reasons = another mile down the road to totalitarianism.

Sickening.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Virginia just made that a primary offense. It has been a secondary offense for years, meaning the Police couldn't stop you solely for not wearing your seatbelt.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seat belt enforcement/check stop right? So why all the questions about where are you going and where are you coming from?

Gotta generate that revenue somehow.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I have been using mine for several years and feel like I might fall off if I don't have it on. It is always good to know though.
    edited November -1
    on 1 June in Florida, it becomes law that the law can stop you for seat belt infractions. Up till now they couldnt, but could give you a ticket for no sealt belt if they stopped you for something else and you didnt have the seat belt on..
  • cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a conspiracy I tell ya..[:0][:0]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two of the State boys last Saturday, on foot at toll booth, checking for expired plates, inspection stickers, and seatbelts as cars came thru the booth. Rolled window down, sweetly asked if THEY were not going to use their cars, could I borrow one for a while? They both cracked up.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    So why all the questions about where are you going and where are you coming from?

Nosey bastages!!!! Don

Where ya' headed?

Over there.

Where ya' been?

Back there.

Have you had anything to drink tonight?

Lot's of coffee. Can I go? I have to use the bathroom.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Wackenhut at Savannah River Site checking badges at gates can write you a ticket for no seatbelt. Plus they will ask for drivers license-vehic registration-proof of ins on their random searches.Missing your stuff they will write you a ticket for that too[:(!]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing expeditions.

Cops that participate in these exercises are (Colonel Kurtz put it best) "simply errand boys, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In case you didn't know there are huge Federal funds involved for states who meet minimum requirements. MI has one of the highest, if not the highest, rate and gets millions for that ranking. The revenue generated from the tickets is peanuts compared to the Federal funds
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fellers, if you have ever seen the results of an accident like my younger son experienced two weeks ago you might change your mind about seat belts. I've always been sorta hostile toward them myself but I think that I've changed my mind somewhat, even though I hate to be told what I've got to do!

Friday night two weeks ago my son had stopped behind a truck that was making a left turn, but had had to stop for oncoming traffic. As the truck made his turn my son started to move forward and immediately heard tires squalling, just for an instant, and then a F250 with 36" or so tires hit the rear of his Jeep Cherokee. The Cherokee was hit nearly flush from behind, which pushed the tailgate/door forward to the rear seat, twisted the whole body to where only the driver's door would open,and tore the right rear spring from the chassis. The driver's seat tore its front mounting bolts out of the floor and several welds were broken. How many G's does it take to do that with a 160 lb. driver? The speed limit in that area is 50 MPH, I think.

My son had his seat belt/shoulder strap fastened and seems to have been hurt not too badly; no broken bones, but sore neck, back, and shoulders, and a mid-back spot that still causes pain but x-rays don't show any thing broken. God knows what might have happened if he hadn't been strapped in.
    The Jeep was totalled. (Anybody know where there's a nice '99 Jeep Cherokee Limited Edition, gold paint, 4wd, straight 6 cyl. engine, lift kit and 32" tires for sale)?

The moral of the story is: Keep your seat belt fastened and snug. They do make a difference.

OleDuk[:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OleDuk
    Fellers, if you have ever seen the results of an accident like my younger son experienced two weeks ago you might change your mind about seat belts. I've always been sorta hostile toward them myself but I think that I've changed my mind somewhat, even though I hate to be told what I've got to do!

Friday night two weeks ago my son had stopped behind a truck that was making a left turn, but had had to stop for oncoming traffic. As the truck made his turn my son started to move forward and immediately heard tires squalling, just for an instant, and then a F250 with 36" or so tires hit the rear of his Jeep Cherokee. The Cherokee was hit nearly flush from behind, which pushed the tailgate/door forward to the rear seat, twisted the whole body to where only the driver's door would open,and tore the right rear spring from the chassis. The driver's seat tore its front mounting bolts out of the floor and several welds were broken. How many G's does it take to do that with a 160 lb. driver? The speed limit in that area is 50 MPH, I think.

My son had his seat belt/shoulder strap fastened and seems to have been hurt not too badly; no broken bones, but sore neck, back, and shoulders, and a mid-back spot that still causes pain but x-rays don't show any thing broken. God knows what might have happened if he hadn't been strapped in.
    The Jeep was totalled. (Anybody know where there's a nice '99 Jeep Cherokee Limited Edition, gold paint, 4wd, straight 6 cyl. engine, lift kit and 32" tires for sale)?

The moral of the story is: Keep your seat belt fastened and snug. They do make a difference.

OleDuk[:(][:(]
    Of course they make a difference. I would not drive without one. Enforcement of their use, however, is the action of an oppressive nanny-state, not the action of a government of the people.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    In case you didn't know there are huge Federal funds involved for states who meet minimum requirements. MI has one of the highest, if not the highest, rate and gets millions for that ranking. The revenue generated from the tickets is peanuts compared to the Federal funds
    It doesn't matter if the State's minions are hassling citizens to take money directly or if it is to secure favor from our rulers in Washington. It is an invasion of privacy, a restriction to freedom, and an assault on free-minded people's sensibilities.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Seat belts save more than lives - they save the nation money. Every year, seat belts save society approximately $50 billion in medical care, lost productivity and other injury-related costs nationwide. But seat belt failure has tremendous costs.

Seat Belt Defects - More Common Than You Think

Though the national average for seat belt use is at a high of 71 percent, due mainly to a $3.7 million campaign often known as the Click it or Ticket, in which seat belt usage is encouraged, although the often overlooked statistic is the 10,000 deaths out of 30,000 auto accidents caused by faulty seat belts.

Not very good stats to warrant the MANDATORY use of seat belts..
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you obey the law, you dont need warnings. practicing staying within the law is a wonderful stress free way to live.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    if you obey the law, you dont need warnings. practicing staying within the law is a wonderful stress free way to live.[;)]

Yes, Bobski, we all know that staying within the fence line keeps the flock alive and healthy.

The problem is, however, people are not sheep.

Let me correct that..All people are not sheep.

Brad Steele
  • bountyhunter101bountyhunter101 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I want to argue is when is it the right of the government, state or federal to impose restrictions on what we do within OUR PERSONAL PROPERTY.

Whether you use a seatbelt or not it doesn't matter. To have a goverment that says you have to do anything within your car is outragous. Next it will be eating or drinking(booze not included), which radio station you can listen to, how many miles you can drive. what color paint you can have & the list goes on.

This is a federally mandated law from the Carter era to raise the speedlimit back to 70mph. Pass a seatbelt law or your funds will be cut off, that is extortion.

Sorry, seatbelts are a personal decision & making it mandatory is much like Probition was, but with enough indoctrination it grabs hold & steals one more freedom of choice.
    edited November -1
    It is against the law to commit suicide..[}:)][}:)]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Seat belts save more than lives - they save the nationinsurance companies money. Every year, seat belts save society approximately $50 billion in medical care, lost productivity and other injury-related costs nationwide. But seat belt failure has tremendous costs.

Seat Belt Defects - More Common Than You Think

Though the national average for seat belt use is at a high of 71 percent, due mainly to a $3.7 million campaign often known as the Click it or Ticket, in which seat belt usage is encouraged, although the often overlooked statistic is the 10,000 deaths out of 30,000 auto accidents caused by faulty seat belts.

Not very good stats to warrant the MANDATORY use of seat belts..

How 'bout that?[8D]