In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hubble Telescope - What a Kick!

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
We have been checking on Directv 283 from time-to-time to watch the repair. Pretty SLICK so far!

Way back 26 years ago I played a tiny tiny part in supporting the design work.

I owned a software company which had as its mission the creation and support, and distribution of a mortgage backed security database used by just about all the traders of GNMA-FNMA and FHLMC pools. I helped a bunch of Wall Street companies get their first microcomputer, and for three years, they were Apple II Pluses.
I had 180+ firms paying me $10,000 a year by 1988.

To get the data out, we were OEMing the GENIE Removable 5 meg hard drive system which ran on an Apple II+. Since I was a primary buyer, I could resell the drives when we had enough. Once we did a computer trade show in Hartford, and along came Perkin Elmer. They were the primary contractor of the Space Telescope.

They fell in love with these drives....you could record test data, and then stuff the cartridges in a library where the were safe from a time-in the -drive-running-it-is gonna-crash- soon-syndrome.

Back then some fully live drives had a life of 3 months!

So they bought a bunch of these $3700 5+5 meggers for their testing process. Once later, when talking they said they were all done, so I asked if I could buy some back. Their answer: Nope. Our GOVERNMENT CONTRACT requires us to put them through a crusher.

Ok. So what about guns? I took some of the money and got a pre64 1894, and a pretty 1903 sporter which was burgled in 2002, and recovered in 2004 after laying in the woods in Colorado for 17 months.

Gunnison03Spr.JPG

That Burglary got me started in gun collecting.

Comments