In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It is finished

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in General Discussion
"What we start, we shall finish."

We finished corn today. Less than 2 months ago we sat at a dinning room table with my uncle at the end asking "How you gonna do it" 30 days after my father past away he wanted to know how we plan to get everything out of the fields. He recommended to just have the neighbors do it all and not worry about it.

It was never his call to make. So his wife owned half the fields. They were a source of aggravation for the last 2 months, but today it is finished.

Today we finished about 430 acres all together, corn and beans.

If we had waited for the neighbors to do it, "as a tribute to my dad", the corn would still be in the fields with much on it flat on the ground. As slow as this year is going with the elevators filling up with wet corn, it would have been a long time before the neighbors were caught up enough to help out.

Yes it is a good accomplishment. There are few time where I am proud. Today is one of them. First harvest is done.

MVC-405L.jpg

HaroldThorsen-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Dad would have been proud. Congrats.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Good job! You sure would have made your dad proud.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A job well done!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bet your glad that is over with.
    Good job. [:D]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations to you!
    What's next?
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What some people call insurmountable, Others call all in a days work....Nice job on a days work
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job. I can only imagine the difficulty your having.

I hope I am never put in your situation. However, if the time comes I have a plan in my head. At least if I am put in the situation, the local elevator knows who's share is who's and what not. Probably half of what my Father farms is the elevator's land. Other 40% is shared with another two people, and the other 10% is rental and owned land. That in itself shouldn't change much in the coming years. Maybe the acreage will decrease some, I don't know if I could do 3000 on my own.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,744 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats, Capt. That old 20 series saw you through, huh?
    Saw a window sticker in a F350 dually the other day. In large print it said:
    "God Bless American Farmers"
    underneath in smaller print it said:
    "we're the ones feeding your fat *".
    [:D]
  • Options
    skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats capt, good job!![^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

I hope I am never put in your situation. However, if the time comes I have a plan in my head. At least if I am put in the situation, the local elevator knows who's share is who's and what not. Probably half of what my Father farms is the elevator's land. Other 40% is shared with another two people, and the other 10% is rental and owned land. That in itself shouldn't change much in the coming years. Maybe the acreage will decrease some, I don't know if I could do 3000 on my own.

Yes some arrangements can be a bit screwy. I can't say how many times I've had to explain why one field goes 3/4 - 1/4 when he owns it 100%. There is a logical reason that goes back 30 years.

I also has an friend who had my back through it all. He was a huge help. We started out with a plan, 4 guys and multiple back ups. 3 large pickups with a backup. 3 guys trained to run the combine so I wasn't dependent on me or my cousin. (I suspect my cousin wanted the whole thing to be dependent on him as the sole combine operator.) Also tried to plan myself out of the picture as much as possible so as to fill in where needed.

The only break down was tearing out the feederhouse drum. It was brand new late last fall. The bearings were installed backwards. Have to blame dad for that one, but a local weld shop cut out the center of the old one still on the scrap pile andwelded thim on the new one. He did a fine job.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

Yes some arrangements can be a bit screwy. I can't say how many times I've had to explain why one field goes 3/4 - 1/4 when he owns it 100%. There is a logical reason that goes back 30 years.

I also has an friend who had my back through it all. He was a huge help. We started out with a plan, 4 guys and multiple back ups. 3 large pickups with a backup. 3 guys trained to run the combine so I wasn't dependent on me or my cousin. (I suspect my cousin wanted the whole thing to be dependent on him as the sole combine operator.) Also tried to plan myself out of the picture as much as possible so as to fill in where needed.

The only break down was tearing out the feederhouse drum. It was brand new late last fall. The bearings were installed backwards. Have to blame dad for that one, but a local weld shop cut out the center of the old one still on the scrap pile andwelded thim on the new one. He did a fine job.

looks like you need to buy your friend a beer, or 10. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nothing says thanks for having my back like a 1911 for Christmas.

Yes, something needs to be done.
  • Options
    M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for you. I am sure you have made your father proud.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    great job! you SHOULD be proud!
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should be proud,..I know your Dad is looking down smiling,.He would surely be proud..WTG..Capt....Loko [^]