In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shadenfreude

Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
schadenfreude \SHOD-n-froy-duh\ , noun:
A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others.

It's everywhere, it dominates the media, sports, even politics, it is the basis of reality television. It's You Tube. It's People Magazine.

We have become a society obsessed with our shadenfreude. We put our idols on a pedestal just so that we can revel in their downfall.

So long as I can find someone else to point and laugh at, I can feel good about myself.

Sad.[V]

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Are you taking medication for it? [:D]
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Thank you.

Now, when I see a guy take one in the grapes on "America's Funniest Home Videos", I'll have a German word to describe it.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, this MAY be hard wired into our systems- the relief when the bullet hits the OTHER guy.

Probably goes back to the caveman looking at his neighbor, thinking "Boy- that saber tooth is really messing up old Og pretty bad- glad that's not me. Hee-hee!" Continues on to the present day news media- 95% is the BAD stuff that happens (Film at 11)

Not certain, but think there is a different degree of this when you see someone get theirs that REALLY had it coming- the woman that is dissing YOUR dress- just before the waiter spills the glass of red wine on HER dress.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

Not certain, but think there is a different degree of this when you see someone get theirs that REALLY had it coming- the woman that is dissing YOUR dress- just before the waiter spills the glass of red wine on HER dress.

No, that's karma.[;)]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Schade, dass wir Freude ?ber Schaden von Anderen f?hlen... [:D]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I understand that in Australia it is called "Cutting down the tall poppy."

Jealousy.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I prefer to see my fellow man reach his full potential so I can crush and humiliate a worthy opponent.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    I prefer to see my fellow man reach his full potential so I can crush and humiliate a worthy opponent.

And, I just prefer to watch that show. I assume you mean this figuratively, although literally probaly isn't out of the question.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Schadenfreude Lite is the basis for much humor, the slapstick variety especially. We laugh at the misfortune of others.

On a related note, I wonder if Shadenfreude was Sigmund's brother?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    classic,.as usual..BDJ..lol.[:D][:D]..Loko