In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sending inherited Gun

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
A friend of mine that passed away last month had a great Luger that he brought back from WWII and its going to go to a nephew i think, but i got to thinking,how do they get the pistol to him ?He lives out of state so does the lawyer send it in the mail or ups to him or does it have to go thru a FFL and then have paperwork made out on it ?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    FFL unless they want to go to jail.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    its my understanding that anytime a firearm chages hands across state lines, it must be received by an ffl and transferred to the recipient.

now, there clearly exists loopholes in states that have no registration(i.e. you can go to a friends house in another state, buy a long gun and take it home with you. you could theoretically do the same with a pistol if you were both willing to lie that the transfer took place in the recipients state).

if the gun is going to cross state lines while not in the possesion of the owner(i.e. mailed/shipped) then it must be received by an ffl or the sender himself; which presents another loophole, albeit an illegal one. i can legally mail a gun to myself care of another party for a "hunting trip" as long as he doesnt open the package. that hunting trip could theoretically be cancelled and the receiver could then buy then gun from me. again, its illegal but as long as we were both willing to swear that the transfer took place in the receiving state face to face, it would appear to be legal.

most of this is theoretical loopholes to get around the various laws. almost all of what i have just said constitutes a felony and my gun right arent worth saving 50 or a 100 buck in shipping and transfer fees and the generation of a 4473.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this case, the legalities are a function of distance.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the nephew can legally possess the gun in his own state, the executor of the estate can either ship the gun directly to him, or permit him to pick it up. No FFL is required.

See ATF P5300.4, page 42.

Neal

EDIT: Shippers' rules still apply. For a handgun it must go UPS or Fedex Next Day Air; both carriers have a "...or any other lawful shipment" provision in their tariff. I would do it the same way I always do: Take the package to my hub & truthfully declare the contents. Never had a problem, never had them question who does or does not have an FFL. If they DO question it, just declare it as "firearm for repair". Your only legal obligation is to declare the contents; whether it is legal or not is on you, as always.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    As long as the nephew can legally possess the gun in his own state, the executor of the estate can either ship the gun directly to him, or permit him to pick it up. No FFL is required.

See ATF P5300.4, page 42.

Neal

After that, the shipping company's rules mix things up, don't they? Since the USPS only accepts pistols between FFL holders, that's out. Both UPS and FedEx only deliver guns to dealers, long gun or hand gun.

The only exception I've run into is between a manufacturer and customer, as in warranty shipments.

Laws are wrong, but private property owners can make up lots of rules for their premises, trucks and airplanes.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great catch. It's AMAZING what is buried in the fine print of our laws. For those that want to read it, go to:

www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

and scroll down to page 42 and read subsection 478.30 (a)

Good to know, since I have some elderly relatives who own guns that may need to be shipped to the beneficiaries. Thanks for the tip. [:D]
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    The PRACTICAL answer, it for the heir to drive cross-country and take custody of his property. For a WW-II Luger, I'd drive cross-country.