In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

?W?, the movie

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
I've seen a few advertisements for "W" the movie on TV. I've decided since they choose to insult me in the advertisements, I'm not going give them my money to see the movie.

They want me to believe a man who is fluent in Spanish can't say Guantanamo, and worse than that, they want me to believe both Barbara and Laura Bush would tolerate those gross and uncivilized table manners.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an Oliver Stone movie--what did ya expect? It is geared towards Bush haters. I have seen JFK and Nixon that Stone made-to me it's just a hollywood movie-there might be an ounce or two of truth and of course you have the right to see it or not. I MIGHT see it only for the comedic aspect-while I don't hate President Bush, I am not a fan. You're probably better off spending you money to see Appaloosa which comes out this Friday[:D]
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:"W", the movie

Trash that makes a Michael Moore flick look intelligent. The Dems will love it I'm sure because it fits their fantasy. Sad really.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ripley16
    quote:"W", the movie

Trash that makes a Michael Moore flick look intelligent. The Dems will love it I'm sure because it fits their fantasy. Sad really.
    I bet they use it as a documentary.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    This is just the latest example of a new trend by the entertainment industry. It started with Farenheit 911 bashing the incumbent during the last presidential election and this time around we have W bashing the party of one of the candidates.

This is nothing more than an odd end run around political advertising regulations by running feature length counter-candidate/party ads in theatres, which puts them in the realm of 'art' and cloaks them in all it's protections. This allows them to embellish, shade the truth, omit information and completely manufacture dialogue and incidents without repercussion due to 'artistic license'. Besides no accountability towards the truth, no equal time for other candidates or monetary contribution disclosure regs can apply here. The makers of these films have an ace laying face up on the table because if either side even mentions any of this they know they'll immediately be painted as favoring censorship.

This plugging of a specific political candidate or a party through misuse of a mass media venue needs to end, but it's going to take the entertainment industry itself to do something about it. I'm not stating this because of what candidate or party any of these films have been directed at so far, but because a single industry with such huge powers of persuasion has begun to blatantly direct their energy toward swaying our political process.

It's a sad state of affairs when political ads are seen in the running for Academy Awards, but we can only expect this to get worse over the coming years.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I agree, I'd like to see all of Hollywierd go down the toilet. Glad you decided to not give them your hard-earned money. You can instead see American Carol when it comes out.