In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A new scam, or new to me anyway

ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
These people know no bounds do they?

quote:Hello and good day,

I am Private. Dale Bellamy, a U.S Marine Corps (U.S.M.C.). On Peace mission in Baghdad-Iraq with the United Nations Peace Keeping Mission. I know that this mail will be of great surprise to you. I got your e-mail address from my search for a partner who will work with us.

I am contacting you to act on our behalf as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of a foundation that we have registered with British Charity Commission to enable us receive a donation that has been approved by United Nations Organization. However we have agreed to donate 10% to United Nations Tsunami Relief and other natural disaster fund through the foundation.I am contacting you to work with us because our late partner who was the Chairman of Board Directors died in a plane crash last month and we are public office holders and cannot present ourselves as members of the foundation. The presence and participation of a neutral person is needed to achieve the successful receipt of the fund, hence my contacting you.

Note that all the relevant documents will be in place for this transaction to be hitch free and legalized. For your participation, you will be getting 20% of the total sum.This transaction will take not more than fourteen (14) banking/working days to be finalized from the day of commencement. Treat with top secrecy, as we will not want any blackmail or media scandal.

You are the only person I contacted for this transaction and will hope to get your reply ASAP for further correspondence via my Private email (dalebel@live.com).When I hear from you I will give you the full detail and modality of how things will be worked out for maximum success and the amount involved, with your full support and assistance.

Yours faithfully,

Dale Bellamy

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:On Peace mission in Baghdad-Iraq with the United Nations Peace Keeping Mission

A Marine and United Nations[:o)]
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Check this one out I got a month ago.

MR STEVE THEMBA,
    JOHANNESBURG,
    SOUTH AFRICA,
    TEL: + 27-784-420-378.
    ?Email:stevethemba2@gmail.com?
    Dear Friend
    ?
    With due respect my name is STEVE THEMBA, the eldest son of MR.GODSON THEMBA, of ZIMBABWE. It might be a surprise to you where I got your contact address; I got it from the South African Information Network Online (SAINO at South African Trade Center). And it is coming to you with good intention. During the current crisis against the farmers of Zimbabwe by the supporters of our President, MR.ROBERT MUGABE to claim all the white owned farms in our country. He ordered all the? farmers to surrender their farms to his party members and their followers.
    ?
    My father was one of the greatest and best farmers in the country and he did not support the President's political ideology, and the President's supporters invaded my father's farm and burnt down everything, shot him and as a result of the injuries sustained, he became sick and died after five days. And after his death, I and my younger brother decided to move out of Zimbabwe for the safety of our lives to South-Africa.
    ?
    But before he died he wrote his will, which reads,
    MY BELOVEED SON, I WISH TO DRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO THE SUM OF US$15,000,000.00 (FIFTEEN MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS ONLY) WHICH I DEPOSITED IN A BOX WITH A SECURITY COMPANY IN JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA IN CASE OF MY ABSENCE ON EARTH CAUSED BY DEATH ONLY.YOU SHOULD SOLICIT FOR A RELIABLE FOREIGN PARTNER TO ASSIST YOU TO TRANSFER THIS MONEY OUT OF SOUTH AFRICA FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES. I DEPOSITED THE MONEY IN YOUR NAME AND YOU CAN CLAIM IT ALONE WITH THE DEPOSIT CODE.YOUR MOTHER HAS ALL THE DOCUMENTS.
    ?
    TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR MOTHER AND BROTHER".
    ?
    From the above, you will understand that the live and future of my family depends on this money and I will be very grateful if you can assist us.I and my younger brother are now living in South-Africa as POLITICAL ASYLUM SEEKERS and the financial law of SOUTH-AFRICA does not allow ASYLUM SEEKERS certain financial rights to such huge amount of money. In view of this, I cannot invest this money in South Africa, hence I am asking you to assist me to transfer this money out of South- Africa for investment purposes. For your efforts, I am prepared to offer you 20% of the total fund, while 5% will be set aside for local and international expenses and 75% will be kept for my family.
    ?
    Finally, modalities on how the transfer will be done will be conveyed to you once we establish trust
    and confidence between ourselves. Looking forward to your urgent reply. For detailed information, please contact me on my direct line TEL:+ 27-784-420-378. NOTE: THE KEY WORD TO THIS TRANSACTION IS ABSOLUTE CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECRECY. THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% RISK FREE. YOUR URGENT RESPONSE WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
    ?
    ?
    All The Best,?
    MR STEVE THEMBA.
    TEL:+ 27-784-420-378.
    ?Email:stevethemba2@gmail.com
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He asked you to "Treat with top secrecy" and you are putting it all over the internet where anybody can see it.

I guess it gust goes to show you can't trust the Marines or the United Nations, and now it looks like you either.

[:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    He asked you to "Treat with top secrecy" and you are putting it all over the internet where anybody can see it.

I guess it gust goes to show you can't trust the Marines or the United Nations, and now it looks like you either.

Your kidding right?
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

Your kidding right?

Take note of the SEG Smiley Face. Indicates Humorous content.

Yeah, he's joking.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider at it again
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I get BS like this all the time. I have even gotten an e-mail claiming to be from the FBI.[:D]
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care if they say they are foreigners, but to besmirch the corp or any other branch of our military kinda frosts my nuts.[:(!]

AT
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    I don't care if they say they are foreigners, but to besmirch the corp or any other branch of our military kinda frosts my nuts.[:(!]

AT
    Well you might as well get yourself a large economy size jug of antifreeze then, son. Besmirching each other is a time honored tradition.

Beside that, the joke was treating what the "USMC private" said seriously and growling at you for letting the secret out of the bag.

If I have offended you, my blanket apology I posted about a month ago applies:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=363331
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These African scammers need to seriously think about investing in a Western education. Thier attempts are so obvious. The same pattern of grammar flaws are a dead giveaway every time.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    One word....MUGU.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    These African scammers need to seriously think about investing in a Western education. Thier attempts are so obvious. The same pattern of grammar flaws are a dead giveaway every time.

I have seen seemingly smart, educated persons fall for them.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I won the Madagascar lottery!
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The syntax always gives them away. When the day comes that they recruit someone who is really competent in English, they may have better luck. But if they become sophisticated enough to develop some Americans as shills in some of these schemes, and a lot of Americans are always ready - no, even anxious - to bite on pyramids (check Bernie Madoff), they could burn a lot of people.

The con man 'Kid' Wild once stated that the easiest people to bilk were the ones who wanted something without having to work for it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    The syntax always gives them away. When the day comes that they recruit someone who is really competent in English, they may have better luck. But if they become sophisticated enough to develop some Americans as shills in some of these schemes, and a lot of Americans are always ready - no, even anxious - to bite on pyramids (check Bernie Madoff), they could burn a lot of people.

The con man 'Kid' Wild once stated that the easiest people to bilk were the ones who wanted something without having to work for it.

You might have just come up with the next scam.

Hello and good day Mugu,

I know that this mail will be of great surprise to you. I got your e-mail address from my search for a partner who will work with us. We are Nigerian scammers.

I am contacting you to act on our behalf to translate our scams so they are not so obviously scams from Nigeria. This should double the take for everybody. We estimate the total take will be three hundred million dollars U. S. ($300,000,000.00) per year. For your participation, you will be getting 20% of the total sum.

You are the only person I contacted for this transaction and will hope to get your reply ASAP for further correspondence via my Private email (scaminc@scam.com). Treat with top secrecy, as we will not want any blackmail or media scandal. When I hear from you I will give you the full detail and modality of how things will be worked out for maximum success and the amount involved, with your full support and assistance.

Of course we need your bank account number so we can deposit your share of the take.

Yours faithfully,

Dale Bellamy
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] That's the perfect angle. Like Wild did, if you can get somebody to believe he is participating in something that will make him rich but which is also illegal, he can't even call the cops when he discovers that HE was the mark.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Athomson, get on this site, www.marines.mil ,go to the bottom of the page and click on contact us and send these guys the e-mail.
    This is the official website for the Marine Corps and they really do not like imposter's [:D]
  • woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same old scam, just different circumstances. I get similar ones about once a week.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Whoa! Not THE Godson Thembs, of Zimbabwe! The REAL GUY?! Wow!

At least the pseudo-marine had readable English. Sort of.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    And I'd like to see some photos of that Nigerian princess. Let's see what goods she's bringing to the table, eh?