In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Now that's a bill add-on that I can live with! [;)]

So, does that mean if I'm in Yellowstone and am "threatened" by a car-jacking wolf, that I can claim self defense?

Heh heh heh. [:D]

SSS
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has to go the House and could be on your Presidents desk by the end of the week.
    We'll see if he signs it.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mean guns were not allowed in National Parks? That is where our rifle range is [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    You mean guns were not allowed in National Parks? That is where our rifle range is [:D]

In a National Park or National Forest? Two different things.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe in the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. I never asked if I could bring my pistol, and I never told them I did either.
    It always seem to work for me.[;)]
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The public response to the possibility of further intrusion into our 2nd admendment rights has been fast, loud, and in force. They are fighting for political survival and back peddling. It may get passed, we'll see. They have been made aware We The People are going to push back. We need to keep pushing and not let a little positive news dampen our efforts.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they were always there. its just that now the anti gunners know it...get the hint?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Habituated gray wolf removed from Yellowstone National Park

Posted: May 19, 2009 05:14 PM

Updated: May 19, 2009 05:14 PM

10391569_BG1.jpg

A wolf that had become habituated to people and chased bicyclists on more than one occasion was euthanized Tuesday morning by Yellowstone National Park staff along Fountain Flat Drive.

The yearling male wolf from the Gibbon Meadow Pack was first sighted in the vicinity of Midway Geyser Basin in March 2009. In recent weeks, the wolf had been frequently observed in Biscuit Basin and the Old Faithful developed areas in close proximity to park visitors. The wolf had reportedly exhibited behaviors consistent with being conditioned to human food.

The park reports there have been several incidents of unnatural behavior, including chasing bicyclists on at least three occasions, and one report involving a motorcyclist. The park has also received reports of the wolf approaching people, as well as cars, which can best be described as panhandling--behavior consistent with a food conditioned animal. The wolf's repeat offenses clearly demonstrate a habituation to humans and human food, escalating the concern for human safety, according to the park.

Yellowstone staff made attempts at hazing the wolf from the area, only to have the wolf return and repeat this behavior. Hazing techniques are meant to negatively condition an animal and may include cracker shells, bean bag rounds or rubber bullets; all non-injurious deterrents.

The decision to remove the wolf from Yellowstone was made in consultation with the United States Fish & Wildlife Service. This is the first time such a management action has occurred since wolves were reintroduced in Yellowstone in 1995-1996. Yellowstone National Park removed this wolf from the population in accordance with the park's habituated wolf management plan.

"This wolf was clearly not behaving naturally, reducing our management options. Human safety is important, so the difficult decision to remove the animal was made. Approaching wildlife, such as wolves, too closely can have detrimental results. We encourage visitors to keep their distance from wildlife and to not feed them," wolf project leader Doug Smith said.

The park warns of conditioning of wildlife, in particular bears and wolves, to groceries, garbage or intentional feeding. This usually results in habituation, making them a potential danger to people and consequently may result in their destruction. Additionally, people who approach within 100 yards of bears and wolves, and 25 yards of other wildlife, put themselves at risk of injury and increase the potential for habituation of these animals, the part warns.

Visitors are reminded to keep food, garbage, barbecue grills, and other attractants stored inside or otherwise unavailable to wildlife.

The removal of this wolf is not considered to have a detrimental impact to the overall health and population of wild, free roaming wolves in Yellowstone. The wolf population in Yellowstone National Park is currently estimated at 124 animals in 12 packs. Pups that were born this year have not been counted and are not part of this estimate.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is your "car-jacking" wolf.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Well, getting passed as it did, and then comming out of Committee with the CCW in National/State Forest at the discretion of the States Ammenment STILL being attached...we will see.

...If one REALLY keeps up with the way our slimey politicians operate you will see that for brownie points there are a lot of "things" get put into a bill, ONLY to be debated/swapped out/stripped out once the Bill leaves the floor, goes behind closed doors and gets "disscussed" in private Committee.

...I'll belive it when I see it in the Bill, once it leaves Committee. Hell, wont take too much to get the ammendment stripped out...99% of the politcians are crooked and or actually believe what the other politicians are saying.

...The Bush CCW for Nat/State Forest was yanked by some EPA lady who stopped it by claiming "An Enviromental Impact Study had not been carried out"...and I never saw ANY REPUB/Lib speak up asking WTH is with the "Impact Study??? "What does THAT have to do with being able to carry in these Parks?" They were ALL SILENT!
    An "Impact Study" for CCW I would call NUTS and IF one was done, the act of carrying a gun in a Forest would have NO Impact on the the little PITA creatures, trees or even the smelly tree huggers.

...Good luck and fat chance the ammendment wont get traded/chopped/swapped out of the Bill...I carry EVERYWHERE, before CHL's, always have, never paid a never mind to the signs at the front entrances of Parks...not starting now...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Well Colt I think now is a chance for us all to do our part by picking up our phone and calling our CONGRESSMEN. Its about time we made an HONEST man out of you[:0]
    edited November -1
    ...Making SURE that YOUR Reps do not "deal away" the CCW Ammendment may be the only way the ammendment STAYS in. The slime bags always PASS laws that they know are popular among a lot of their constituants, only to trade off the "meat" of the Bill, in Committee, behind closed doors...I'm sure that is another function, ck/balance, that the politicians have perverted that was NEVER intended to "work" in the "way" they use it...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • 1911 Gunslinger1911 Gunslinger Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hats off to Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. for inserting this amendment into the credit card bill. Although they may be few and far between there are still a few politicians on the side of the law abiding American people.
    edited November -1
    quote:Hats off to Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. for inserting this amendment into the credit card bill. Although they may be few and far between there are still a few politicians on the side of the law abiding American people.

...Coburn ONLY gets a hats off if the Bill with attached ammendment MAKES it thru Committee and into LAW, until then, uh-uh, Coburn is just another talking head that did/has NOT got anything done in regards to this.

...WTH knows "what" his real motive for putting forth this ammendment is/was?...maybe he has ANOTHER Bill on God knows what that the Libs said they would pass IF, he allows them to, OR he removes the ammendment on Parks/guns...this, is how your Politicians "work" and get things "done"...all a smokescreen, "I'll let you look good, then we will do a "trade-off"..then WE loose...this is WHAT happens.

...Now, Coburn can fluff his feathers to gun owners over being the one who attached the ammendment, and he can also be the one who KNOWS, made an agreement ALREADY, and the ammendment will be pulled...out of the public eye...and for all but the very inquisitive, no one will know "who" was behind it. Coburn will look the "hero champion"...I dont and wont trust ANY politician, until the bill IS law...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    This is good news, and long overdue. Our National Parks are no longer totalitarian, nanny-state, utopian workers' paradises. They are once again part of the America I know. For now.