In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HVAC

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Mine crapped out this morning capacitor blew and blew oil every where. Its an older Carrier probably about 25 years old. Probably won't be able to get a replacement until Monday. Sure it had to happen on a 95 degree day with a heat index of 105. House is up to 85 degrees now yesh. Not looking any better for Sunday.

Comments

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured it was hotter than that in Mozambique.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent

No not this time of year.[;)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better go over to Home Depot and get a window unit. Or two.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you see any HVAC trucks around town, ask the guy driving if he'll sell you one. You might score one that way without waiting for Monday.

Wish I could help you out Curt,...I have about twenty of them on my truck.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went through this yesterday, fortunately mine didn't blow, it just bulged. I was also fortunate to have an appliance parts store 30 minutes away that was open on Saturday and stocked my capacitor.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just did a quick search and it seems Walmart carries them. But its probably online only but worth a shot.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent

Its winter there.........

South of the equator[;)]
    RLTW

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was talking to an HVAC contractor the other day and he said the mass majority of his service calls were for burned out capacitors. He said this was caused by the the utility companies when everyone in the area used they AC and the utility companies capacity is unable to keep up with the demand[:(!]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a place in Salt Lake that's just a mere 30 mile drive for me, that will open up his shop on Sundays for a $50 bill plus the cost of part... Makes it really nice for me, especially where I have rentals that if I don't get it up and running, I have to buy them a motel room or two depending on how many people live there until I do get it fixed...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My brother in law is picking one up for me in the morning and I'll met him after work. Hopefully the compressor is still good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

I'll die from heat exhaustion before I go into a Home Depot. I have one a cigarettes walk away from me and I drive the 7 miles to Menards. The wife asked me during the week to go to HD to help her find a piece of wood for a table top. I said sorry dear your on your own.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A spare window unit on the shelf is part of our survival plan.
    Enough to cool the basement if needed.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local Ace Hardware store stocks them, had to get one last month. Best $13.99, I have spent in a while.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

Bingo...Had a brand new one in the box I've been storing for a few years in the event of a power outage and need to use the generator. It would atleast make it possible to sleep good and have a cool room in the house.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't imagine living here in Charleston SC without AC, the people who lived in the south pre HVAC were smelly tough folks.

On the other hand didn't some of those who settled in the north know it was warmer in the south during winter?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!