In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BR IN PAIN.

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
She cut her foot open last night cutting down a bush that the lawnmower wouldnt take down, and the weed eater laughed at. She used a machette.

Found out when I got home last night. Deep cut, right to the bone below the large toe.

She said it reminded her of the time she cut her foot with the power saw??????

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe a gardner would be cheaper than the doctor.[:D] really, hope she gets to feeling better.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my dad was hurt with his back problems I decided to take it upon myself to cut wood. Grabbed the biggest piece I could handle and a Hatchet. Walked in the house 10 mins later with a hatchet impaled in my leg, missing the knee by two or so inches
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Her see a dr? you have got to be joking. She used a pressure bandage on it, then cleaned it, antibiotic cream, another bandage, the kept me awake all night with her groans. She went to work this morning, and then decided to go barefoot all afternoon to "have the air help seal the wound together".

Nuts.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear that..hope she feels better tomorrow and aims better next time..how come beth don't post up any more?is her fingers broke or somethin
    edited November -1
    She was banned, still is.
    edited November -1
    oh..well i hope she gets unbanned and well soon[V]
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    She said it reminded her of the time she cut her foot with the power saw??????

Hey you married her!!! Heres wishing her a speedy recovery.
    edited November -1
    is Beth a blonde by chance?[:D]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Peroxide(sp?) 4-6 times a day. Hope she get better soon, it dosen't sound like fun.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    [V] hoipe her tetnus shots are up to date...wish her well.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,026 ******
    edited November -1
    "She went to work this morning, and then decided to go barefoot all afternoon to "have the air help seal the wound together"."

That fits my impression of BR. She sounds just like my wife.
    "I ain't got time to bleed".
    From the movie "Predator", plagarized from mrs. deere.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not telling you anything you and BR don't already know, but watch it for infection. If it gets infected you might have to drag her to the doctor.

Shouldn't her penalty be up soon?
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No ER.. go to the Vet.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Mowing/machette, BAREFOOTED??[:0] I hope it heals ok!! Get that woman a good pair of workin boots!![B)]
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOOOooooooo....that poor thing! Tell her that we "double DOG dare" her to go to the doctor!!!! An infection in her foot could be very very bad. I had a limb fall on my foot when I was a child and had to spend three days in the hospital because of blood poisoning. I felt FINE!!! My mother noticed that she could see a couple veins in my leg and took me to the pediatrician. That doctor told us to go to the hospital RIGHT THEN! Don't mess with infections. You can't "tough" them away.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell Beth That I wish her a speedy recovery if you would please Classic.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Me too, Larry.

Doug
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    OOOOOooooooo....that poor thing! Tell her that we "double DOG dare" her to go to the doctor!!!! An infection in her foot could be very very bad. I had a limb fall on my foot when I was a child and had to spend three days in the hospital because of blood poisoning. I felt FINE!!! My mother noticed that she could see a couple veins in my leg and took me to the pediatrician. That doctor told us to go to the hospital RIGHT THEN! Don't mess with infections. You can't "tough" them away.
    I am living (almost not) proof that you need to get anything taken care of that is infected like that.... Part of the deal with my foot.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I know Beth wants to "tough it out," but a cut as deep as that is likely going to take months to heal "naturally," as it probably needs internal as well as external stitches, which would speed her recovery time to a matter of maybe 10-14 days.
    "Natural" closure of this sort of wound happens from the inside first, as all wounds heal, leaving the external and most vulnerable part open for infection. So, unless she wants to spend the better part of the rest of her summer cleaning, and changing bandages every couple hours, it might behoove her to suck it up and get it stitched up.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Hope she feels better soon. Yes, do watch it for infection. Invest in some Neosporan. That used to be one of the required items in our field first aid kits when I worked for the ADF&G.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like her and cutting tools dont mix.. A foot wound is one of the worst.

Too late for stitches now, some antibiotics will have her running in no time.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    Sounds like her and cutting tools dont mix.. A foot wound is one of the worst.

Too late for stitches now, some antibiotics will have her running in no time.

I disagree. When our dog was attacked by the pit bull and needed stitches, his stitches were botched by the first vet, and popped the wound open again, it was at least a couple days before we cound get him into his regular vet (he was on vacation the week my dog was attacked), who stitched him up more carfully, and he healed fine.
    edited November -1
    Hmmm. i got a deep knife slash in the palm of my left hand in a incident and didnt go to the doctor for two or three days, when I eventually went they told me that it couldnt be sowed up.

I had kept it clean with alcohol and antibiotic cream but it still got infected. They gave me some pills and it healed up in like 4 or 5 days. I could look into my hand and see the bones that attach to my first and second knuckle joints.
    edited November -1
    Hmmm. i got a deep knife slash in the palm of my left hand in a incident and didnt go to the doctor for two or three days, when I eventually went they told me that it couldnt be sowed up.

I had kept it clean with alcohol and antibiotic cream but it still got infected. They gave me some pills and it healed up in like 4 or 5 days. I could look into my hand and see the bones that attach to my first and second knuckle joints.

Yeah, he was ripped up pretty bad in his chest area, in the canine equivalent of what would be his armpit area, probably a 6 inch long, maybe one inch wide strip of flesh, almost completely around the forepaw. You could see through to his bones, tendons, and arteries. How none of them were damaged is a miracle. I posted pics of the wound when it happened, but they were pretty gory. He's a tough old dog.
    edited November -1
    What kinda pooch is he?
    edited November -1
    What kinda pooch is he?

Golden/Lab mix. We're pretty sure he's all-dog, whatwever he is. Just defending his opposable thumbs, er, I mean people...
    edited November -1
    [:)][:D], That sounds like a good mix.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    man she will do anything to get back on the forum [:)]

get well beth
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Get well Beth,and may the powers that be let you back on the forum soon.
    edited November -1
    Hey People, Beth is Medically trained, she can take care of it. I ask her if she wanted me to sew it up, probably woulda only took two stitches..[:0]

Besides it isnt that big of a cut,it is where it is that makes it hurt so bad. Right on that spot where the big toe joins the foot. lucky she had tennis shoes on it woulda been a lot worse..

As of this morning it is closed up tight and looking good, and not hurting her..[:D][:D]
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Just don`t step on it when your danceing.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear about her accident. I hope the wound heals quickly without any problems.
    What's next?
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are just worried about her. I swear though.....when my "thing" happened I felt FINE. No fever...wasn't hurting at all. My mother just noticed something didn't look right about my leg. She didn't even know I had a "boo-boo" on my toe where I had been playing around and had that tree limb whack my foot. I also know an open wound isn't the worst thing on the planet. Larry had a lemon sized opening on his back where stitches opened and they couldn't close it back up. He had a cyst (spelling?) cut out that was getting quite large and the healing took several months. We had to change the dressing twice a day.....and I had a very hard time with that.

An outdoor incident with a dirty tool worries me.....I wish she would get a round of antibiotics just to be on the safe side.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayer for a quick recovery sent.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Tell the truth BR.

You lost your temper and kicked a chair and split your foot open on a nail.

Get well and watch out for infection. If your jaw starts to lock up, go see a doctor...
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you should keep machetes and power saws away from her. [}:)][;)][:D][:D]

Hope it heals quickly.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Wound care 101:

If its a dry wound wet it(2x2 or 4x4 gauze saturated in sterile saline applied to the wound and held in place by gauze roll or other)

Drying out the wound is a practice that ended decades ago. It doesnt work and it will take longer to heal and most likely become infected.

Keep the wound moist and change dressings often. Keep it clean. You can wrap the foot with an ace bandage over the dressing.

They sell saline in a can that sprays out. Its great for cleaning wounds.

Good luck, hope she gets better soon.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Geeze, I did that once with a sharpened mutt. Sliced my ffot like a piece of bologna.

Lots of peroxide, and a trip to the doc if needed.

Take care Beth. You need to keep all of that red stuff inside. It's not good when it leaks out!
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ouch sorry to hear that
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!