In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shipping a long gun

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I thought I read somewere that in the state of Texas a non dealer could ship a longgun to another non dealer in if they both lived in teh same state.
did I dream this up or could you do this at one time.

this is kinda messing me up now

got this from teh shipping guide on gb
here it says one thing

Shipping Legalities
Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) only. The recipient must have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).

then under that it says

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

taz

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Sure.

sure I dreamed it up or sure I can ship it to a buyer in the same state with out using a dealer [?] [:D]
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Long guns can be shipped from individual to individual within the same state, except where prohibited by that state.. I ship long guns VIA the United States Post Office, in state and out of state..
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    not by USPS

Yes they do Shipped 3 last week USPS
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Is he thinking UPS instead of USPS, you can ship with either one...The Post Office is the cheapest way though.. I Just sent a rifle to Georgia for $17.00 including insurance..
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    did I dream this up or could you do this at one time.
    You can still do it, BATF rules "allow" it.
    Through the United States Postal Service, etc.
    As long as there is no state/local law prohibiting it.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Long guns can be shipped from individual to individual within the same state, except where prohibited by that state.. I ship long guns VIA the United States Post Office, in state and out of state..

Pistols can also be shipped in state. It states "firearms" no where does it say long guns.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095

Pistols can also be shipped in state. It states "firearms" no where does it say long guns.

thanks for pointing that out, just dont use the usps for a handgun [:D]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a long box
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!