In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Next Gun Debate May Be About Taxes &Demograhics

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
Are you ready for the midterm elections? There is a lot riding on this time around! Is taxes on firearms internet sales at risk here?

serf

There?s nothing in the Constitution that says businesses have to sell anything to anyone. ??

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-next-battleground-in-the-gun-debate-may-be-taxes-2018-05-16

This has less to do with who?s in Congress and how much cash the National Rifle Association is stuffing in lawmaker?s pockets?and more to do with something that is harder to see: the fact that the gun base in the United States skews 1) male, 2) white, 3) rural and 4) somewhat lesser educated?all trends that run counter to an America that is 1) majority female, 2) rapidly urbanizing, 3) more educated and 4) less white (white births are now a minority of all U.S. births) than ever before. Data on these evolving trends can be found in the recent ?demographics of gun ownership? study by the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan organization based here in Washington.

As these changing demographics and consumer habits gradually erode the still-powerful gun culture, its political base is likely to erode as well. Like water running downhill, this is the natural order of things. And if you take this reality and layer it on top of another one?namely, the ongoing fiscal pressure that states and cities across the country constantly face?it suggests that guns and ammunition could be increasingly seen as an undertapped source of revenue.

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly the democrats will tax guns and ammo to death.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our entire Constitution is at stake in this election. If the Repubus lose ground the Dems will try to destroy President Trump and everything he has done so far,
    VOTE RED !
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vote early and Vote often, OH wait that's the DemocRATS.

I voted by mail last week as did my wife.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XP100
    Vote early and Vote often, OH wait that's the DemocRATS.

I voted by mail last week as did my wife.

You gotta go to the graveyard like LBJ did when he won the Senate seat in Texas in 1948. Hook and Crook is the name of the game!

serf

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/11/us/how-johnson-won-election-he-d-lost.html
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure all my Doctor Buddies are going to find themselves offended at being less educated LOL

quote:Originally posted by serf

Are you ready for the midterm elections? There is a lot riding on this time around! Is taxes on firearms internet sales at risk here?

serf

There?s nothing in the Constitution that says businesses have to sell anything to anyone. ??

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-next-battleground-in-the-gun-debate-may-be-taxes-2018-05-16

This has less to do with who?s in Congress and how much cash the National Rifle Association is stuffing in lawmaker?s pockets?and more to do with something that is harder to see: the fact that the gun base in the United States skews 1) male, 2) white, 3) rural and 4) somewhat lesser educated?all trends that run counter to an America that is 1) majority female, 2) rapidly urbanizing, 3) more educated and 4) less white (white births are now a minority of all U.S. births) than ever before. Data on these evolving trends can be found in the recent ?demographics of gun ownership? study by the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan organization based here in Washington.

As these changing demographics and consumer habits gradually erode the still-powerful gun culture, its political base is likely to erode as well. Like water running downhill, this is the natural order of things. And if you take this reality and layer it on top of another one?namely, the ongoing fiscal pressure that states and cities across the country constantly face?it suggests that guns and ammunition could be increasingly seen as an undertapped source of revenue.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!