In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vehicle maintenance & PM

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
What do you guys do, when it comes to your vehicle maintenance? None.....all....some?

I change oil, rotate tires, swap air filters, change bulbs, and check stuff over. I have changed batteries, brakes & rotors, etc., but I leave all that and the major stuff up to my mechanic friend, or dealership if under warranty obviously. It comes to a certain point, where my time(how long it takes me anyways) is more valuable then the cost.

I also don't have a ton of tools.

Anyways, I was just curious as to what you fellas do?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt on stuff like alternator, starter, radiator, water pump sure no problem.

Electronics plug and play no biggie.

Brakes I need supervision and I need help to bleed anyways.

Opti-Spark that makes me uneasy. Seen youtube how to but damn it if and how that silly thing works seems like witch craft [:D]. I fear the day that thing craps out. Being right under the water pump and the weep hole it hasn't craped out magic I tells you. Three water pumps and so far opti-spark keeps on sparking.

Fuel injector job is in the future. I recently bought Vaseline for the job. Maybe for me if I mess up [:0].

Fuel pump ever goes out that's going to the shop. This goes without saying tranny, engine/head rebuild SHOP.

I'm glad I got a ride I CAN work on.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,721 ******
    edited November -1
    I will be replacing the starter on my daughters CRV. The intake manifold has to come off.
    Thank goodness for YouTube videos!
    Shop wants $450 to replace it. Rock Auto has the starter for ~$100.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Everything except go inside the transmission. Not worth buying all the tools required for trans work.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for many years I repaired from bumper to bumper all in between
    rebuilt engines transmissions even paint and body that I was not great but good enough [:D])
    I would tackle any issue unless its under warranty ,
    now with the new cars / trucks the diagnostic equipment is way out of my league on cost just for a back yard grease monkey
    lucky I have not ran across anything I could not repair / replace as of now .
    but I see that day coming soon [:(] to much computer controlled sensors to fail and cause issues

I will add I wish youtube and the internet had been around when I was a kid [B)][B)]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    A mechanic friend does most for me now.
    Oil changes, tire rotation, brake jobs.
    I did do the spark plugs and wires on my old truck after I knew I could get the plugs out. Sons old car I had him do the plugs when I couldn't budge them.
    I did the shocks on old truck too.
    If I have a place and tools I'll do a semi big job but not worth my time to do oil change and or rotation.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a parts changer now. No more engine or transmission rebuilds.

I've had my current truck for 16 years it has 278K miles on it. I've changed, the alternator, starter solenoid, u-joints, lower ball joints, intake manifold, spark plugs, brakes (several times), some minor front end parts I can't remember the name of, head lights and other bulbs, wiper blades, air filter, and rotated tires. I'm sure there are some other things.

I'll still do wheel bearings when needed. About as deep as I'm going into an engine anymore would be a timing chain/belt.

Funny thing is, I seldom change oil in my vehicles anymore. It's to easy to just swing through the quick change.

I don't enjoy working on automobiles and may give it all up in a few years.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't do anything inside an engine or tranny, and I absolutely suck at electrical, but i'll do most anything else. I was confronted with doing a timing belt on a Pilot and passed. I knew I could do it. Just not fast enough to accommodate my wife's patience. I'm slow and careful. Screwing up has taught me that. Cooling, steering, suspension, brakes, axles, I'm okay with. And Yosh, there's usually an access plate inside your vehicle for your fuel pump. It uncovers the top of your gas tank.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work on my vehicles but won't work on the wifes Lincoln. When you lift the hood and can't see the ground because of all the c**p tucked in there is when I send it to the dealer.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything except oil changes, and automatic transmissions. Don't have the facilities to do an automatic transmission, and for what Jiffy Lube charges to do an oil change, it's just not worth my time.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    for the first 50 years I did every thing not under warranty but now I dont work on anything computer control IE anti lock brakes Traction control stability control etc
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    as little as possible, i have the capability and most tools, i just dont have the patience anymore

and cannot stand grease under my nails since i cook allot, or bloody knuckles
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Cost of Lube and an Oil change is so low that I have it done. Except My Harley then they charge and arm and a leg. Also my Tractor they want to much.

Part depends on what it is some I have them do. If its at home and broke down I fix it. Gave a good supply of tools.

Computer stuff I try to fix depending if I can get a good code to read and know what it is.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I changed the oil on my new truck at 1600 miles. From here on out I will take it to the dealer, it will be under warranty for 6 years. Wife's Subaru has oil changes and tire rotations included for life of ownership, so they do all the maintenance.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't pull motors or transmissions on 4 wheelers anymore - do most everything else.
    Less than 1 hr to change pads and rotors on the Escape.
    Wonder what I saved over the stealer.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Back in the Day" I used to race on the drag strip - '71 Plymouth 'Cuda. That involved engines, transmissions, and anything that would make it go faster.

Now - I don't even change my own oil. [:D]

I do have a 1945 Willys MB Jeep, so now it is back to grease under my fingernails. Of course, the computer on it is fairly simple. [;)]

I did swap the short block on my M-274 A5 Military Mule a couple of years ago - another really simple task.

If it wasn't for the OD green stuff, I could sell my mechanics tools - but I wouldn't.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's why i put a carlift in the shop 30 years ago...the zturn lawn mower is up now ...lots easier to zip blades off, sharpen and back on with an air gun and check every thing
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured the cost of oil, and my time and My time is worth more at this point.

The hassle of oil disposal and the mess were just not worth the effort.

So, now none.

Also I really bunged up my hand once and im a contractor and must use my hands to work on a laptop. Just not worth the risk

Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of it. I cringe at the thought of hiring someone to work on my equipment.
    Of course I am a professional wrench turner.[;)]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    And Yosh, there's usually an access plate inside your vehicle for your fuel pump. It uncovers the top of your gas tank.

Pretty sure there wasn't one when I sound proofed it. And no it wasn't for the kidnapees (got a ball gag for that [:D]). And I recall some of the Caprice/Impala forums I was on mentioned having to drop the tank. Next time I'm looking inside a trunk of '94-'96 Caprice/Impala I'll know for sure.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't done any of my own since points, condenser, and rotor went away. I drive a Toyota, and besides the occasional oil change there is darn little to be done anyway.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mostly none, I change wiper blades, and add gas.

Stuff is so difficult to get too I would rather pay someone.

Brakes for less 139 4 wheels I can't justify jacking up the car for that, it is hot outside.

Oil change at the Dealer 20 bucks

Gerald's tires rotates tires bought from them for free

Etc.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!