In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CMP .308

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
quote:CMP has a small quantity of the .308 Specials. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.
$1030.00, Free Shipping. Visit our website for ordering information

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok I know there is a lot I don't understand but why would you pay $1,030.00 for a .308 with a pitted receiver when I can buy bunches of .308's that would be more accurate for 300 to 500 less without a pitted receiver??

Please enlighten me!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CMP Special HRA (30-06) and the receiver metal, as well as the rest for the rifle is perfect, like a brand new rifle. YMMV
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I ordered a post war HRA and got one made in 1954 with absolutely perfect metal. Not a blemish or any sign of wear. Either refurbished or it sat in storage since new.

The stock, however, was a total mess. Not one square inch of wood without a serious ding or gouge. The wood and the metal didn't look like they went together. I tried refinishing the stock but it still looked really bad so I bought a used replacement. May buy a new stock so the whole rifle will look good.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah and it isn't even a "collector" reason for it

quote:Originally posted by dreher
    Ok I know there is a lot I don't understand but why would you pay $1,030.00 for a .308 with a pitted receiver when I can buy bunches of .308's that would be more accurate for 300 to 500 less without a pitted receiver??

Please enlighten me!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!