In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Baltimore police incite anger with controversial

riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
ruling......why did he have to say "black children" are they the only ones out at night..bad choice of words?..never been there Maybe thats all thats there IDK

By Ian Simpson

(Reuters) - City officials in crime-ridden Baltimore on Tuesday defended plans for one of the toughest U.S. youth curfews against criticism from residents who were skeptical about police enforcement of the new law.

In a forum with residents, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said the measure, set to take effect on Aug. 8, was aimed at getting children off the streets before they were put in danger.

"This is not about criminalizing young black children but to reach them before the only option for them is law enforcement," the mayor told the crowd of about 100 people.

Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said he had sometimes come across children riding bicycles across the city at 3 a.m. When the parents were contacted, they had no idea where their children were, he said.

"They should not be out there, and you should be honest about that," Batts said.

The new curfew in Baltimore, the setting for such gritty television police dramas as "The Wire", will make it a violation for a youth under 14 to be outside their homes after 9 p.m. year-round. Those aged 14 to 16 would be banned from being outside on school nights after 10 p.m. and on other nights after 11 p.m.

Police could take violators to a curfew center, where they and the parents will have access to social services. Parents would have to take city-approved counseling classes and could face a $500 fine for repeat violations, up from the previous $300.

Children younger than 17 can now stay out until 11 on weeknights and until midnight on weekends.

CRITICISM

Many residents at the forum said they opposed the law because police officers were often overly aggressive and failed to investigate crimes.

One man told the mayor: "Youth are a ticking time bomb". He said parents would put their low-wage jobs at risk if they had to leave to pick up their children at a curfew center.

Mayor Rawlings-Blake replied: "Once you decide to be a parent you are a parent 24 hours a day, and when you have difficulties you cannot cast off your responsibility."

The forum at the University of Baltimore Law School was sometimes interrupted by shouts from the crowd. When the session ended, members of a leftist group, Fight Imperialism Stand Together, shouted obscenities and chanted: "No new curfew".

FBI statistics for 2012 show Baltimore, which has about 625,000 people, almost two-thirds of them black, had one of the highest rates of violent crime of any U.S. city, with 218 murders. But there are signs that crime is starting to fall. The mayor's office said homicides for the year so far totaled 116, down 14 percent from the same period last year.

The American Civil Liberties Union, as well as the Fraternal Order of Police, have argued that the tougher curfew will be ineffective and burdens police officers who are given few guidelines about how to enforce it.

The ACLU of Maryland said in a statement that the curfew was more likely to entangle young people in the criminal justice system.

Baltimore is among many U.S. cities with curfews. The U.S. Conference of Mayors reported in 1997 that 80 percent of 347 cities surveyed had nighttime youth curfews.

A 2011 University of California-Berkeley analysis of FBI data showed arrests of youths affected by curfew restrictions fell 15 percent in the first year and about 10 percent in following years.

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kansas City Mo is having the same problem and kids 8 or 9 are out past the curfew.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:aimed at getting children off the streets before they were put in danger.

What about permanently getting rid of the danger the kids face first instead of punishing the kids?
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...the mayor is a black female. This town is off the hook with violence. Despite the quoted stats, the shooting/homicide rate in "Bodymore" is off the charts and there's not even a mention of the armed robbery and agg assault statistics.

The 14-16 year old age range encompasses many of the shooters and "victims" in this craphole of a city.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time bomb? It's already gone off.

The mayor failed to mention the epidemic of pre-teens roaming the downtown areas at night, beating & robbing both locals & tourists.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Exactly right Neal...they're basically rampaging mobs. Anyone that dare adveture down to "Mondawmin by the Sea" on a hot summer weekend night is crazy. We (SOD/SWAT)used to get dragged out of the "hood" and be detailed for "special events". The rampaging mobs of "youths" would get so bad, all we could do is get behind a fixed object and try to snatch innocents out of the mob/crowd as it swept by...just a human (sort of) wave of violence. If youre familiar, you know of the several times they rampaged thru Phillips Restaurant and others trashing the places and leaving nothing but chaos and destruction in their wake.

Basically it's the theory of Evolution in reverse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    riflemike...I understand why you would question some of the terminology, etc, used in the article and the quotes.(And the mobs/miscreants are, for better or worse, about 100% black. That was a statement of fact not a slur on a particular group.) Unfortunately. if you havent been in "Bodymore" on a hot summer night and seen just how bad this city is, constant gunfire, shooting after shooting, Shock Trauma jammed and needing armed off-duty police to prevent more shootings and stabbings in the "family" waiting area...frankly I hope you never have to...it's almost beyond description many nights.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the idea, charge the parents. We enforce a curfew, but the kids get the summons for court. I think if parents are made to come pick their kids up and risk a fine for letting their kids run the streets unsupervised then perhaps they will take their role as parents more seriously. If not they can return some of that hard earned welfare back to the government trough.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    The parents won't pay the fine, and we won't put the parents in jail, so what is the point?

Another law with no consequences.

These animals want to run the zoo, fine, let's build a fence and keep them in.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that's the ones who are causing the problem so why not ID them so as to let citizens elsewhere better understand the issue.
    What's next?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is an interesting discussion....Every Monday I watch the Chicago news where they tally up the carnage for the weekend. It seems almost 90 percent of the shootings happen after midnight.

Parents need to be parents......that would take care of a lot of it.
    The other issue in most of these bad situations....the perps of most the shooting, killing and maiming know who did it but that info does not flow easily to the LEO's investigating the situation.

We had a issue going in the county where I worked starting many years ago. I spoke at a community meeting and told a bunch of parents, until you stand up as a community and say no more of this nonsense, you will continue to have these issues with violence and drugs . Most of them blamed everyone except themselves and their kids for what was happening.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    I think that's the ones who are causing the problem so why not ID them so as to let citizens elsewhere better understand the issue.

guess i am used to the PC crowd where most would have just said kids.....not black / white..thats all i am glad she said Black..if they are the problem
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a major problem with that right here in south jersey. Just last night I caught two juvenile raccoons and a skunk trying to steal my trash around midnight. Damn, just not safe around here any more. [:D]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a serious note, I go to Baltimore about three times a year for baseball games. The four block area around the stadium is really nice but the police tell you not to wander any further out into the city. We won't even go to the inner harbor. That's a real shame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oakie, sound advice...a few blocks in any direction and you're in Baghdad. Bad business for all "citizens" unfortunately. Damn shame, but that's the reality of things.

(Sorry to hear about your South Jersey crime wave. Lol)
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

guess i am used to the PC crowd where most would have just said kids.....not black / white..thats all i am glad she said Black..if they are the problem

I can understand that.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They were at it again overnight. Six shot, one dead. It rivals Chicago only with a population of a little more than 600K it's nowhere near the size. This is EVERY day. Maybe the "curfew" can be made to cover 23 hrs.
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the BGF ran that City not the Mayor. What a sh**hole that place is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...ya gotta wonder if they aren't just competing gangs sometimes. BGF is at least out in the open. The corrupt cesspool of city govt. tries to hide it but their actions speak for themselves.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisStreett
    They were at it again overnight. Six shot, one dead. It rivals Chicago only with a population of a little more than 600K it's nowhere near the size. This is EVERY day. Maybe the "curfew" can be made to cover 23 hrs.

Whom would 'they' be?
    My bet is some low life white folks considering it's Baltimore.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Whom would 'they' be?
    My bet is some low life white folks considering it's Baltimore.

I agree. You know how those rampaging mobs of Norwegians can get. And don't even get me started on the crazy Swedes of my ancestral homeland. Dang Squareheads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I gotta admit, my Scots Irish kin tend to run amok down there too!
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...ya gotta wonder if they aren't just competing gangs sometimes. BGF is at least out in the open. The corrupt cesspool of city govt. tries to hide it but their actions speak for themselves.
    As far as corrupt officials go, Baltimore ranks right up there with New Orleans (maybe worse)
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    It is common knowledge that here in MPLS we occasionally get a Norwegian who gets so angry he almost says something.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The kids are the danger, they're just trying to be P/C.quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:aimed at getting children off the streets before they were put in danger.

What about permanently getting rid of the danger the kids face first instead of punishing the kids?