In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

any auto mechanic's in pic added

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Iv got a 1990 toyota camry that make a loud noise when I make turns
its coming from the front rt. tire.
could it be the ball joints going out if so whats a avg. cost to get it fixed.
thanks
taz

Im dont know much but if I can take it apart I can put it back togather [:D]
is this the cv joint or is the big one above this. if so could be my problem looks bad anyways
I am going to sale the car and just want to get it in good shape and this is its main problem.
taz
101_7043.jpg
101_7042.jpg

Comments

• MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Ball joints usually make a poping sound. It could be the half shaft or somthing in the brakes. Take off the tire and inspect,, Not a lot of info to go on. Usually if ball joints go you notice tire wear first. probably cost 70-200 dollars for parts and then what ever labor is.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Was it ever wrecked? Fenders bent in? Is the black plastic splash guard in contact with the tires when turning?

Is the backing plate in contact with to rotor at all?

Does it make a growling noise only when you turn left or right? If so it could be a wheel bearing.

Need more info.
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    If it's worse when you accelerate during a turn I would say CV joints. My wife had a Honda CRV that did that and it was pretty easy to fix.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    If it's worse when you accelerate during a turn I would say CV joints. My wife had a Honda CRV that did that and it was pretty easy to fix.
    CV joints...yep
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Big bucks... if you take it to a shop!
    I was quoted $680 to replace a wheel bearing on an 87. labor here is $85/hr though. (did it myself for $29 in parts and free labor.) 87-91 Camry's are 2nd generation. think the only difference in the front end is the earlier ones had a cam/shim on one of the lower strut mount bolts for camber adjustment and the later ones didn't.

Could be a ball joint(only one at the bottom of the knuckle),or a tie rod end.
    Do you get a shimmy at speed?
    First check your lug nuts. (don't laugh... you never know)
    Jack it up about 2" off the ground...
    Bent backing plate,wheel bearing,or brakes. spin the wheel and listen.
    Jack it up about 2" off the ground put a bar under the tire and bounce it to check for ball joint play.
    Grab the tire and shake it back and forth for tie rod play.
    Or get under it and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock,if anything's loose you'll see it.

Saw one that one of the stabilizer bar bushing brackets had torn out.
    You'll need the alignment checked afterward,so figure that in too.
    Like has already been said... What kind of a sound?

Is it popping,growling, or grinding (wheel bearing really gone and the wheel about to fall off)

Oh the Haynes manual sucks.

Wanted to add. The entire axle is available at Advance. And easier to replace than just the CV joint alone.

Allen
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree,sounds like a CV joint.Rebuilt ones are reasonable and its a pretty easy fix ,just remember to scribe thebottom of the strut where it mounts to the spindle to save your alignment setting. If you want to go with used check out car-part.com it will hook you up with several hundred salvage yards listed invetory, credit card and its on your doorstep.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Yep, CV shaft. Cheap easy fix.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    Yep, CV shaft. Cheap easy fix.
    Yep.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just turn the radio up
    real loud. You'll never
    hear it again!
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When checking the ball joints, place the jack under the lower controll arm. You need to unload the suspention weight from the ball joint. Then put bar under the wheel & move up & down to check for movement in the joint.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    its kind of a clacking noise and only does it when I make a turn but it has to be moving to make the noise
    if your just sitting and turn the wheel it wwont make the noise
    and yes the more you accelerate during a turn the louder it is,

taz
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    That is a bad cv joint. in order to find out which side, the bad one is the one on the left if it clicks on a right turn, or vice versa. At our establishment, it sometimes is a better value to replace the whole cv axle or half shaft than just the joint.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Johnnylikesguns

Just turn the radio up
    real loud. You'll never
    hear it again!

that's some funny crap right there[:D][:D][:D]... its the cv joint tazz,i agree
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hehateme
    That is a bad cv joint. in order to find out which side, the bad one is the one on the left if it clicks on a right turn, or vice versa. At our establishment, it sometimes is a better value to replace the whole cv axle or half shaft than just the joint.

it makes the nosie when turning left
    how hard is it to replace and thanks to everyone for all the info
    I really like the turn the music up one the best [:D][:D]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:it makes the nosie when turning left

when a potential buyer wants to test drive it, give him a route with all right turns![;)]
    edited November -1
    the picture of the lower ball joint..it sure looks dry, the cv joint is inside the rubber boot above it,, if the ball joint fails and breaks off your wheel will just flop out sideways is all[:D]
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the CV shafts. I had a local mechanic replace mine on my 2002 Camry and it cost around $350 total. If you took it to a Toyota dealership, it woullb be at least double that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    the picture of the lower ball joint..it sure looks dry, the cv joint is inside the rubber boot above it,, if the ball joint fails and breaks off your wheel will just flop out sideways is all[:D]

ahhh that dont sound to bad [}:)][B)][:D]
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    That balljoint should be replaced too... It is probably making a popping noise when you go over bumps maybe.. That is super easy, those bolt on to the knuckle, the hardest part would be popping the joint from the lower arm, which you could do by smacking the lower arm with a hammer until it pops, or using the ball joint fork.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that ball joint does look bad....but it also does sound like it could be a cv halfshaft. I would suggest checking the tie rods as well.....just to be safe.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer

ahhh that dont sound to bad [}:)][B)][:D]

Thats only if you are unlucky.. About three months ago I noticed something wrong on my 150 so i jacked it up and the whole tire would move from under the truck. drove it for a little while just real careful. cost 700 to fix it. Did you put a bar under the tire and see if it moved?
    edited November -1
    3 bolts and a pickel fork and sledge will change that ball joint, it could be that the ball joint is moving side to side and putting strain on the cv joint..only takes about a half hour to change the ball joint
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't know you were a female!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Johnnylikesguns

Just turn the radio up
    real loud. You'll never
    hear it again!
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iv got a 1990 toyota camry that make a loud noise when I make turns
    its coming from the front rt. tire.
    could it be the ball joints going out if so whats a avg. cost to get it fixed.
    thanks
    taz

Im dont know much but if I can take it apart I can put it back togather [:D]
    is this the cv joint or is the big one above this. if so could be my problem looks bad anyways
    I am going to sale the car and just want to get it in good shape and this is its main problem.
    taz
    101_7043.jpg
    101_7042.jpg

What kind of noise, scraping or clunking?
    edited November -1
    tazz, what your pointing to is the lower ball joint. the cv joint is in the rubber boot above it
    edited November -1
    tazz, what your pointing to is the lower ball joint. the cv joint is in the rubber boot above it

yep and I think I need to replace both [B)][xx(]
    the ball joint looks easy but the cv [:0][B)][:D]
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1

yep and I think I need to replace both [B)][xx(]
    the ball joint looks easy but the cv [:0][B)][:D]
    on toyotas it is cheaper to buy the whole axle assembly from ghettozone and replace it than just the cv joint. Much easier too
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    agree that it is probably the cv joint. but that ball joint looks pretty nasty. jack it up and take ahold of the top and bottom of the tire and see if it wiggles top to bottom. if so get it replaced. if they just go out your lucky, sometimes they cause wrecks when they go out, not so lucky.

oh, and be careful if you take it to a mechanic. i have had dealings with some who, once they have the car in the garage for the cv joint try to tell ya the upper and lower ball joints need replaced, tie rod ends are bad, struts need replaced, and the rack and pinion is going out (while we got everything else off might as well take care of that, it will save ya in the long run.) it went from a 3-- dollar fix to them happily giving me a quote for well over a thousand dollars. nah just fix what i brought it in for, and that will be fine i say. cant do it they say, too much of a liability we cant let you leave in that car. either i leave in that car or a police car i say. huh? he says. ill be in the cop car, cause youll be in an ambulance if you try to keep me from leaving. got the work done elsewhere, where i was told that none of the other parts needed replacing.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    New axle assembly for a Camry just cost around $59.00 to $150 depending on the quality that you get.

They are rather easy to replace. Much like replacing an axle shaft on a Jeep Cherokee. If I remember correctly it takes a 30MM socket to remove the axle nut. If you do not have an impact wrench or breaker bar. You can make a tool for removing the nut.
    I made this one for the jeeps and carry it with me to replace a busted hub assemblies if needed.
    $10 NAPA socket and a piece of 1" mine roof bolt alone with a 32" long 1 1/2" section of steel pipe to use as a cheater bar.

axletool.jpg

If you have a 4 cylinder engine and a solid axle Some have a two piece axle shaft on the right (passengers) side.

Remove the axle nut. If the car wants to move. Have someone hold the brake.
    Jack the car up.
    Remove the tire.
    Remove the brake caliper.
    Remove the Hub assembly.
    Pry or work the axle out of the transmission. They can be hard to get out at times. But it will come out.

V6 models are a little different and harder to get out.

PS: The axle nuts are put on from the factory with aprox 250 to 300 foot pounds of torque.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    "PS: The axle nuts are put on from the factory with aprox 250 to 300 foot pounds of torque."

+ or - a couple. [:0]

I had to use a 4' 'cheater' pipe and jump on it.

Haynes manual shows using a big screwdriver between the lug bolts to keep it from turning... I broke it loose with the wheel still on the ground and scooted the whole car!

PS: soaking them in a little bit of brake fluid will bring those joints right out.
    Allen
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by minitruck83
    "PS: The axle nuts are put on from the factory with aprox 250 to 300 foot pounds of torque."

+ or - a couple. [:0]

I had to use a 4' 'cheater' pipe and jump on it.

Allen

You will have that if they have never been changed before. Heat and rust will make you thank that they were welded to the axle.. A dab of Anti Seize will prevent them from sticking again. On the Jeeps I will remove them first thing. Apply anti seize and tighten them up with the tool I made and the 32" cheater pipe and let them go. That way i know that they will not be bad to get off in the field if needed.