In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UNBELIEVABLE...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I went to get a part for my dishwasher and on the way home stopped at a store to get a can of diet pepsi...Guy in front was getting some cigs...

He asked for 2 cartons of Marlboro lights...girl rang it up...

95 flippin bucks.

Actually it was 95 dollars and change, but damn....I guess my mouth dropped open cause the girl asked me if I was alright...I asked her if that price was right...she said yes...

WOW!!...good thing I dont smoke anymore...

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What Manufacturers put in their operators manual/book/instructions...

I realize that most Do's and DON'T's are often placed based on some historical occurance that prompted its inclusion...

But, This is NUTS!

ozma just opened a new Curling Iron that our daughter gave her for CHRISTmas.

While waiting for the iron to heat up... She took a few moments to read the Operating instructions...

Under the "WARNING" section... is No. 7 which reads...
    "Never use while sleeping."

Another keeper is No. 11 which reads...
    "This curling iron is hot when in use. (Really?)
    Do not let heated surfaces touch eyes or bare skin."

Who in their right mind would do this??? Obviously, the gene pool should be BLEACHED HEAVILY...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How far can some be pushed, before it becomes this?...How much can one person take?

PORT ST. JOHN, Florida (FL Today) -- A 33-year-old mother went on a shooting spree, taking the lives of her four children during an early morning confrontation, Brevard County Sheriff's investigators said.

At one point, three of the wounded children ran to a neighbor's house but the mother stepped out and beckoned them to return to the home at 7245 Bright Ave., where they were fatally wounded before deputies arrived.

The BCSO, which is leading the investigation, identified the shooting victims as Joel Johnson, 12, Jazlin Johnson, 13, Jaxs, Johnson, 15, and Pebbles Johnson, 17. The mother, Tonya Thomas, reportedly sent a text out to a friend about 3 a.m. saying that she wanted to be cremated with her children but the friend did not receive the message until much later, said Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County sheriff's office.

"I'm a father and I've got kids. I cannot comprehend a person doing that to their child... calling them back to the slaughter," Goodyear said.

"We are just beginning the crime scene investigation and finishing up some interviews," he said earlier.

The Port St. John shootings were the single worst instance of multiple homicides to take place in Brevard County since the April 1987 shootings in Palm Bay involving William Cruse. Cruse shot and killed six people, including two Palm Bay police officers during a shooting spree. It was also the second deadly shooting to take place in Port St. John, an enclave of residential areas off of U.S. 1 in north Brevard, in the last week.

Sheriff's deputies and the SWAT team responded to the home in this modest, working class neighborhood just after a 5 a.m. call from a neighbor reporting hearing shots fired.

The neighbor also went to the door and found three of the children standing outside, bleeding and asking for help, Goodyear said. It was then that Thomas stepped out and told the children to return home. The children, obviously injured, still listened to their mother and walked back to the home, Goodyear said. Once inside, more gunfire ensued, authorities report.

Goodyear said that Deputies arrived a short time later saw someone at the front door go back into the house.

Deputies then spotted one shooting victim, the 17-year-old, lying unconscious in the front yard. Deputies pulled up to the yard in a patrol car, loaded her inside and drove her to a waiting ambulance. She was declared dead at the scene by paramedics.

Deputies positioned outside of the home saw movement inside the residence, including what appeared to be a lit cigarette, Goodyear said. Then came a final shot, he said.

SWAT team members entered the home a short time later and found the bodies of the mother and the three other children, Goodyear said in a brief mid-morning news conference.

Goodyear said there had been previous police calls to the house. One of the teens, Jaxs Johnson, was set to appear in juvenile court today for a misdemeanor battery charge involving his mother. It was not known if that hearing played a role in the shootings.

Neighbors were stunned at the scope of the shootings, which came less than a week after another homicide in Port St. John and just two days after Mother's Day.

Travis St. Peter, 27, who lived about three houses down from the family until two days ago, said that the family was known in the neighborhood for being disruptive and said police were often at the house.

The Sheriff's Office has informed Brevard Public Schools of the deaths and is working with the school district to take whatever action is necessary to prepare school staff and classmates for the news.

The school district is awaiting word from authorities of the individuals' names.

"If it becomes necessary, we are fully prepared to support the schools in whatever capacity necessary," said Christine Davis, spokeswoman for Brevard Public Schools.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call BCSO at 321-633-7162.

J.D. Gallop and Scott Gunnerson, Florida Today
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A 19-year-old Arizona mother who police say left her 5-week-old baby strapped in a car seat atop her car roof and drove off is under arrest on child abuse and aggravated DUI charges, Phoenix-area media reported Saturday.

The child, found in the middle of the road, was "perfectly OK," said Officer James Holmes, Phoenix police spokesman, told The Arizona Republic.

The car seat was damaged, Holmes told TV station KTVK.

baby is in the custody of Arizona Child Protective Services, officials said.

At about 1 a.m. Saturday, police got calls from the area near North 45th Avenue and West Cholla Street in northwest Phoenix that a baby was in a car seat in the middle of a road, The Arizona Republic reported.

Phoenix Fire Department officials found the baby and took him to a local hospital, officials said.

Holmes told reporters that the mother, Catalina Clouser, had apparently been smoking marijuana late Friday night at a nearby park with her boyfriend.

About 11 p.m. they left the park to buy some beer, and the boyfriend was arrested on aggravated DUI charges while on the way, Holmes told The Republic.

An upset Clouser then reportedly went to a friend's house, where police say she admitted smoking more marijuana, Holmes said. Clouser left the house with the baby asleep in the car seat about midnight, he said.

Before driving away, Clouser apparently forgot that she had left her child sitting on the roof of her car, Holmes said.

Clouser realized the baby was missing when she reached home, and started calling friends to look for him and retrace her route, KTVK reported.

The friends ran into the officers investigating the found the baby, and when Clouser arrived, she was arrested, KTVK reported.

More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    What are the odds they'll jack up taxes on Scotch this same way? [:D]
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    The customer must have been a rich guy. Obumnuts promised not to raise taxes on non-rich.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    You would think I would be a millionaire wouldnt you.. we get paid 1.70 a pound for the best of what we grow.... Smokers pay 50 bucks a pound.. Something just dont add up there does it?
  • Options
    Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost as bad as primers...

Seriously, they cost a lot more than money. I have no friends who smoke. I used to have several, but the last one died in April last year. They are all gone to cancer. I watch "My Cousin Vinnie" with Fred Gwynne playing the judge and in one scene he is smoking. Gwynne died of lung cancer shortly after the movie was released.

In 1973 I was working in a store and I recall when cigarettes went from 50 cents to 55 and people went berserk. I mean yelling and cursing and throwing a fit. Now they are around $50 a carton and I heard that in NYC with the state and local taxes a pack of smokes is almost $10.

And people keep smoking.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cost and taxes pay for health care for cancer patients. its sorta like an escrow account.[:p]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I think they were .35 cents a pack when I quit.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    You would think I would be a millionaire wouldnt you.. we get paid 1.70 a pound for the best of what we grow.... Smokers pay 50 bucks a pound.. Something just dont add up there does it?

Farming is the only business where you pay retail for everything you buy and charge wholesale for everything you sell and pay the freight both directions.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Carton of Marlboro in Virginia: $35.00

Carton of marlboro in NY State: $65.00 [:0]
  • Options
    MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when the major airlines would GIVE you complimentary cigarettes, 4 smokes to a pack. All you had to do was ask!
    I also remember paying less for a pack of cigarettes, than for a gallon of gas!
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    cost and taxes pay for health care for cancer patients. its sorta like an escrow account.[:p]

You are a moron,.....and I am not even a smoker.

The only thing it pays for is possibly "SOME" of the Medicaid related expenses, and the "hundreds of millions of un-insured."
    Number highly inflated on purpose BTW.[:p]

The rest goes to waste like all the rest of the tax money.

I guess you like BO's healthcare plan?
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad I dont smoke....... It would inhibit my gun buying.[8D]
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montana is $54. i quit when the big obama tax cut hit, thats without any states tax.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1

Sadly, farmers always get screwed, no matter what the crop is.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure on this myself, but a talk show fellow who's pretty middle of the road - Mike McConnell, out of Ohio I think - mentioned that people who smoke or drive fast or jump out of airplanes or drive drunk, etc in the long run actually end up saving money for the various health care providers in the USA. Because, they tend to die younger and sooner and quicker and don't go through the heavy end of life use of health care that most folks do.

So yes, 45 year old smokes his brains out, gets cancer and dies over the course of 6 months or so and runs up a bill. But that bill isn't nearly as much as the relatively healthy guy who ages from 60 to 70 to late 80s and 90, using alot of health care towards the end.

It's an interesting theory I think, and one that if correct really makes me wonder about the whole government run "we're going to save money by keeping you healthy" pitch.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Still a little cheaper than heroin...
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    $4.00 a pack? for marlboros? sounds like a rip off, but American Spirits are $6.00 a pack now, $7.00 in 7-11.

Good thing a pack lasts me over a months.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will find this hard to believe, (I do) but I know a guy that smokes one cigar a day to the tune of $600.00 a month. At least he used to. Haven't heard of or seen him for about 5 years.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dads 75 and still smokes 3 packs a day. He is upset because they stopped selling pal mall without the filter. He will never stop smoking also he was a fire fighter for 20 years. If he gets cancer he says it was from being a fireman. He is in great health. He still works. David
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great health?...wonder what he could do if he could breathe? Prove to me his breathing is not affected by his smoking and he has a 100% blood/ox level and I might believe what you are saying...
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marathon runners don't have a 100 spo2.
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    I wish i could find the article on this. Big tobacco was getting sued big time in the 90,s having state lawsuits of about 40 states because of massive health care costs of tobacco illnesses. I dunno, guess poor quality or no insurance and what the states were having picking up?
    Anyhow's the agreement was tobacco companies were to pay each state many billions for the next 25 years to help with the health costs of smokers, educating the youth against smoking, medical equipment for hospitals, anything patient related.
    Well, the state government was/is using the money for other things, not related one iota to the initial cause. Big surprise huh?
    The smoker picks up the tab by an increase in tobacco costs.
    Now recently we see more hikes in tobacco, greedy politicians[V]
  • Options
    surfscottisurfscotti Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course you could role up your hard earned money and smoke that, there's not much difference.
    I knew a guy who smoked 3 and a half pack a day for 40 years, he said that with a mean average of a pack of cigs cost him over that time he could have bought a new house...not exactly money well spent he said.
    I agree.

-s-
  • Options
    edited November -1

Not anymore Quick.... I pay 18 a pound. My tobacco store found a new "outlet" for my tobacco.

Do you guys have the tobacco you sell color cured and flue/air cured when you sell it?

IF your tobacco is ready to shred (color and fue/air cured) I may have another outlet for you to sell it. It will not need to be shredded, just ready to shred and smoke.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6 cartons of Pall Mall delivered to my house directly from the Ukraine $107.00 they also include the tax stamp.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $1.00 a carton in the Army overseas with a two carton per week maximum.
    The second carton was generally traded for some short times.
    By the grace of God, I was able to quit in the mid '60s. The price per pack was $.34 and I smoked 2 1/2 packs per day.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

Where are the $35.00 per carton cigarettes? If it's 200 miles or less, I need to check that out. $50.69 is the best I can find around here in the middle of tobacco country. [:(]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i wish prices up here were that cheap.

7 and change per pack, so 70+/carton.

bought smokes when i was in mississippi for 4 and change and though i was in heaven.
  • Options
    big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read this post yesterday and later that day was at Wal-Mart getting gas and they had a poster on the pump that read marlboro's for 24.99 then in small print it said HALF carton. I guess that's suppose to make smokers feel better. Glad i never smoked.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember buying two cartons at a time when I was in college. A little gas station down the street from my apartment was the cheapest place in town. I would plunk down a ten and walk away with my two cartons and a buck twenty in change...Glad I quit twenty eight years ago.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i recall the days when i dropped a quarter in the machine, pulled a lever and the smoke pack, Lucky Strikes, dropped out containing a nickle and three pennies !!

anyone recall the days when the liberal cry babies said: "we just want you to stop smoking on airplanes" ?? incrementalism has destroyed many things.., such as GUN CONTROL laws, and the NRA co sponsored many of those laws !! [}:)] [}:)]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

Where are the $35.00 per carton cigarettes? If it's 200 miles or less, I need to check that out. $50.69 is the best I can find around here in the middle of tobacco country. [:(]

"The Border Station" at the Va/NC border and on the Eastern Shore.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider, thanks for the information but they've been corrupted too. Their price is $54 and change now. [:(]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Spc FergusonSpc Ferguson Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hell its money ahead to grow your own..... tobacco.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    cost and taxes pay for health care for cancer patients. its sorta like an escrow account.[:p]Well, the lack of paying social security for a long time seems to cancel those costs out, IMO.
  • Options
    ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    Marlboro's and other for $16.95 a carton from Europe? Sounds fishy to me...

http://your-cigs.com/