In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any cabinet installers here? - crash2usaf?

slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have a 96" tall cabinet to have installed in a 95" kitchen. The base for the cabinet is seperate and is 4 1/2" high. (I just opened the box for this cabinet this weekend)

Is the proper procedure to cut an inch off the basepiece so that the cabinet fits flush to the ceiling?

Comments

• SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    cut a n inch and a half off to allow for irregularities in walls and ceiling and finish with ceiling moulding.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    No can-do on the molding. These are full overlay 42" cabinets. The doors go to the top (ceiling). NO room for molding!

But it looks like I am supposed to just cut the base to fit.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    +1, My son is a professional custom cabinet maker, and I have gone and helped him many times install cabinets. Go ahead and cut 1.5 inches off the base. Thats your only option. Then after you have it all squared up and installed, trim it out.quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    cut a n inch and a half off to allow for irregularities in walls and ceiling and finish with ceiling moulding.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    No can-do on the molding. These are full overlay 42" cabinets. The doors go to the top (ceiling). NO room for molding!

But it looks like I am supposed to just cut the base to fit.

In your situation, you are going to have to cut the base...unfortunately, your toe kicks will not line up with the existing cabinets...most folks will probably never notice it.

If you really want to get technical, you should check your walls for plumb, and if need be, you can cut the base piece to accommodate an out of plumb wall. This will help you keep from racking a cabinet during installation...which can affect how your doors close, and not only whether or not they line up, but if they'll close flush top and bottom.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:No can-do on the molding. These are full overlay 42" cabinets. The doors go to the top (ceiling). NO room for molding

then make your first cut on the base at 1 1/4", then place the cabinet and scribe a line off the ceiling to even up the fit.
    after you recut just shim the base up until youre flush with the ceiling.
    or, you can just forget about a flush fit. no one (except you) will notice the gap.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the "1 1/2" off of the base" gang.

Gap in the top. No problem. It can be filled by using a piece of stock planed to fit to about 1/16" below the ceiling to allow for expansion in the wood.

The stock edges could also be ran through a Router to give them a decorative edge.

To put it simple as possible. You are just using a piece of say 1 x 3" board laid on top of the cabinet to fill the gap on the front and sides (wherever they are needed). Brad nails from the inside of the cabinet into the boards will secure them in place. Use No Glue.

To put it simple as possible #2. Look at it as if you are laying a picture frame made of 1 x 3" on top of the cabinet.