In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to replace a fuel line connector

JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
I have a problem here, and maybe you all can help me out.

I have a 2002 GMC envoy. I was replacing the fuel filter, as it has not been done in ages. It was so rusted and corroded that it took forever to get the plastic quick disconnects off of the fuel filter.

Eventually, they did come off, and I put the new filter on. Unfortunately the quick disconnect that goes on the "out" pipe on the fuel filter is gushing gasoline. A quick check showed that one of the o rings on the quick disconnect had come out, and was damaged.

I purchased a new fitting for the fuel line, and tried to replace the o ring, with no luck. I will need to replace the actual quick disconnect.

Here is where I am having a problem. I cannot, for love or money, pull the quick disconnect fittings off of the rubber fuel line. Is there some trick? I have it in my head that maybe if I was to heat up the fuel line a little bit, it might loosen up. But I've never had this problem when working on my motorcycles, but the scale here is substantially larger. How do I replace that quick disconnect fittings from the rubber fuel line? If I was to heat it up, how would I do it without burning the car? One of those little heat guns? A hairdryer?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a cheap tool that slides in to release it. I have 2 sets. Auto parts store will have one.

No heat!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Usually hose barbed fittings in rubber tubing can be worked out, but the problem is that the end isn't going to be conducive to a good seal on the replacement, once you get it off.

FWIW, to accomplish the task, use a lot of twisting of the barbed fitting as you pull.

If it were me, I'd cut the line off at the end of the fitting. If it's too short to still make the connection... well, fortunately that gas line is cheap by the foot, typically.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    There is a cheap tool that slides in to release it. I have 2 sets. Auto parts store will have one.

No heat!

+1
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick

No heat!
    I've never seen one. Good to know!
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So there is an actual tool to remove the fitting from the end of July, as opposed to removing the fitting from the fuel filter? I just want to clarify, as removing the ends from the fuel filter is not a problem, because you simply press the little plastic fasteners on the bottom and slides of the connector off the fuel filter.

If there is a tool, I'm all on board!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    78930.png
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That looks like a toolkit that would be used to separate the quick disconnect from whatever it is plugged into, for example, a fuel filter. Which tool would you use to actually take a quick disconnect off of the fuel hose. In other words, there is the end of the quick disconnect that goes into the fuel line itself. I need the tool that will help me remove the quick disconnect from the fuel line, as opposed to the tool that will allow me to manipulate the little plastic clasps on the quick disconnect itself.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    no tool .the ends are put on under heat and pressure they make repair kits( yea right) they say to boil the end in a pot of water and then try to slip the new end into hose( yea right) been there done that remedy bought a whole new fuel line assy..
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect the line is plastic and not rubber
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4a05758.gif

If you are trying to remove the fittings that looks like the ones in the photo above from the fuel line... You cant without cutting the fuel line. They are either molded into the hard plastic line or crimped onto rubber ones.

You can do a google search for kits that can be used to replace or repair the lines. Flared or compression fittings are one option and Racing quick disconnect fuel line fittings are another.