In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dodge 318

4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Of all the real stupid ideas, putting a one barrel card on a v8, you would think just to get decent mileage they would put a 2v to get more air.
But here are a few questions, I was a ford freak, so please be kind.
My ramcharger has a 318, would a 340 bolt in with no problems, if I can't find a decent 340, can I put 340 heads on a 318? Would it help performance.

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    318's were used in a lot of boats...[;)]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,438 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    318's were used in a lot of boats...[;)]
    Yep, and not necessarily the power plant....
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    318 was one of the best engines ever built in my opinion, I had several, never failed me ever, I got over 400k out of my 73 dodge van and sold it still running, the guy I sold it to ran another 30k and sold it, I helped him repo it and drove it 20 miles with no coolant in it, and it still ran for years

I would love to have an old dart or Sebring with a 318
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    If you are going to change motors, go for the 360, as a 340 is a good motor, just try and find one that is useable, and when you do, be prepared to shed lots of $100 bills. Dollar for dollar the 360 is better, hands down.

You could buy a new 340 block for about $2400-$3000 and then put a ton of parts in it. A used 340 block is at least a grand, if you can find one, and usually bored to the max or very close. If you have a buddy who has a 340 with low cost then the 340 would ok.

Lots of 360's around and fair prices to boot. Check out some of the Mopar forums, there are plenty, a google search will get you several.

A far as fitting, the block exteriors are the same. The tranny may need an upgrade to handle the extra torque and HP from either motor. Questions of this nature are always answered better when year, model and tranny are indicated.

Good Luck![:)]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    318 was one of the best engines ever built in my opinion, I had several, never failed me ever, I got over 400k out of my 73 dodge van and sold it still running, the guy I sold it to ran another 30k and sold it, I helped him repo it and drove it 20 miles with no coolant in it, and it still ran for years

Honestly, I've also heard this too about the 318.

Damn Straight. I had a '73 dodge charger with a stock 318 that would snap solid steel motor mount if ya let it.(and I did,too) Couldn't stand the noise or vibration of the solid steel so went back to stock rubber and chained the engine right before the snap point. Dam good engine. Sure miss her.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by booter_one
    If you are going to change motors, go for the 360, as a 340 is a good motor, just try and find one that is useable, and when you do, be prepared to shed lots of $100 bills. Dollar for dollar the 360 is better, hands down.

You could buy a new 340 block for about $2400-$3000 and then put a ton of parts in it. A used 340 block is at least a grand, if you can find one, and usually bored to the max or very close. If you have a buddy who has a 340 with low cost then the 340 would ok.

Lots of 360's around and fair prices to boot. Check out some of the Mopar forums, there are plenty, a google search will get you several.

A far as fitting, the block exteriors are the same. The tranny may need an upgrade to handle the extra torque and HP from either motor. Questions of this nature are always answered better when year, model and tranny are indicated.

Good Luck![:)]

+1, the 360 is cheep and plentiful as well as being a drop in
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated above, go with the 360, cheaper, more torque, easier to find. A 360 will bolt in but requires the correct balance package on the torque convertor or if you're using a manual transmission, the correct flywheel.
    Using 340/360 heads on your stock 318 will decrease the compression ratio making things worse. Also, no production 318 in a dodge truck or car came with a 1bbl carb. They were either 2bbl or 4bbl.
    The 318/360 engine family are very tough and reliable. I took a bone stock 84' 318 and fabbed up a GT45 turbo with a 800cfm thermoquad feeding it. It's seen 536hp and 586ftlbs at 24lbs. of boost. The only modification I made was to O-ring the deck and install copper headgaskets. Dave
  • Options
    KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had 2 ramchargers (75 and 87) both with 360. One of the best all around V8s I've ever owned and regret selling them to finance my divorce. Don't get me wrong the divorce was worth it I just regret selling the trucks.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    As a MoPar fanatic from the past I agree with most of those who have posted.

The 318/340/360 family of engines is among the best ever offered with the possible exception of the Slant Six. The little carburetor on the 318? Economy was a consideration as was torque. The little carb was a pretty good choice given its intended use. You'll find it on trucks quite often.

A 340 in place of a 318? Expense aside maybe not the best choice. The 340 is a performance motor. Torque curves are totally different and the 340 just isn't an ideal drop-in. I know as we temporarily put one in a Ram Charger. It sounded mean but without the proper torque converter and gearing it was a total dog.

The 360 on the other hand comes in many flavors, is common, and is fairly cheap. Even one with a ton of miles is inexpensive to rebuild. The 360 will have the attributes of the 318 or the 340 depending upon the build. The main difference being economy as the 360 tends to be more thirsty than the 318 under the same conditions.

So to your question... While the entire family will directly bolt in, it may not be in your best interest to do so without knowing the repercussions as these can be very different engines.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in a 74 power wagon and one in a 98 1500. over 200K on the 74.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    360 all the way, building a 318 is a waste of time and money, the cranks are weak.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    318 didn't have a 1 barrel carb. If you just look at the top, yes, you see 1 hole, but look down in there and you see 2 "butterflies".
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

My first car was a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger with the 318.

Great little car. Plenty of power, decent mileage, accepted the abuse of teen aged driver fairly well.

Had it airborne a couple of times, once for almost 100 feet.

(It did need a little front end work after that one.)
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

A co-worker inherited an all original 2 door Dart with factory 318. His neighbor willed it to him, he was with his neighbor as a kid when the fella went in and ordered it. Its green with a green vinyl top and green interior. It is cherry...he has all the original paperwork and every single inspection sticker and receipt.
  • Options
    plinkedplinked Member Posts: 401 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive had 2, 318's the first was a Poly with a set of 202hp heads on it, when that engine finally gave up the ghost 7 of the eight cyls were reading 70psi compression and the eighth read 71psi talk about dying with grace. The second 318 I had was in my 1968 Coronet 500 station wagon ( complete with factory bucket seats ) that I drove until the tranny blew 3rd gear and drove her to the junkyard, the 318 was a rock.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    My ramcharger has a 318, would a 340 bolt in with no problems...

Yes the A series blocks are the same. Heads will fit.

Why not just install a new 2 or 4 barrel center head?

If both are LA motors no problem. If you build it to a 340 you may have to change the torque converter on an automatic. For the 318 has no weight and the 340 has one.

Cant remember which is which. But on one side of the engine (left or right) all of the part numbers are even and the other side are odd.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Drop a 5.9 Cummins in it.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slant six is an other mopar motor that will run forever. 318 is one of the great. V8s for dependability.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

Honestly, I've also heard this too about the 318.

Damn Straight. I had a '73 dodge charger with a stock 318 that would snap solid steel motor mount if ya let it.(and I did,too) Couldn't stand the noise or vibration of the solid steel so went back to stock rubber and chained the engine right before the snap point. Dam good engine. Sure miss her.
    My dodge had a 318. Great power plant that thing. Got 18mpg pulling or empty and never lacked for power.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    My ramcharger has a 318, would a 340 bolt in with no problems...

Yes the A series blocks are the same. Heads will fit.

Why not just install a new 2 or 4 barrel center head?

If both are LA motors no problem. If you build it to a 340 you may have to change the torque converter on an automatic. For the 318 has no weight and the 340 has one.

Cant remember which is which. But on one side of the engine (left or right) all of the part numbers are even and the other side are odd.

I am looking for a intake 2v or 4v, got to get more air, who ever thought of a 1v on a v8, poor mileage, poor performance.
  • Options
    rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1984 Ram short bed street rod I built. it ha 318 with light racing cams and a 2BBL Holley. I get about 10MPG. I have a 4BBL on her however I got half that mileage. Problem may be because it sounds so good when I gun it. I run premium reg gas in it as it likes
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogertc1
    I have a 1984 Ram short bed street rod I built. it ha 318 with light racing cams and a 2BBL Holley. I get about 10MPG. I have a 4BBL on her however I got half that mileage. Problem may be because it sounds so good when I gun it. I run premium reg gas in it as it likes

If your mileage was that poor there is something wrong. Proper component selection is critical, everything has to work together. Did you ever tune the cab with a wideband A/F meter?
    The truck in my signature features a 605ci Hemi, runs on 89.5 octane, makes 853hp and 818ftlbs. Also has a 10" race convertor and 4.56 gears out back. It gets 10mpg if driven nice.Dave
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall my Grandmother having a friend with a 1970-71?? Plymouth Gold Duster with the 340 ci engine option. That thing was a pretty sporty ride with that plant in it, I see why you would want one built.
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I have a 360 you can put in it. Sell it to you cheap, you have to take the van it is in with it.[:0][:D]
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    360 is the best choice, more inches for less money. May have to change left side motor mount, also check that radiator inlet & outlet are on the correct side.
    My '89 Ramcharger has 318, power seems adequate, lots of weight for the size.
    Slant six was engineered for long life but de-tuning for pollution controls kind of torpedoed its advantages.
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I switched from a 318 to a 360 which is a bolt in and was very disappointed. You could not tell there was a difference. To me it was a waste and time & money. The 360 was a brand new motor still in the crate. [:(!]
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a intake 2v or 4v, got to get more air, who ever thought of a 1v on a v8, poor mileage, poor performance.

You can find 1966 and up 318-340-360 small block 4 barrel intakes all over the web for sell cheap.