In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

open Carry Oklahoma

interlockingfieldsoffireinterlockingfieldsoffire Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone can confirm that Oklahoma Passed and open carry law? I knew the petition went to the reps about two weeks ago. But, yesterday I ran into some guys at a gun shop that said it had passed. I have not been able to confirm it online.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I live in okc, heard no such thing on a complete open carry law.

But if you have lic/permit CCW you can lock the gun in your car.
    On company properties parking area's
    Reguardless of your company rules against same, per Supreme Court

Cant spell
    Walte
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not according to this source:

http://opencarry.org/ok.html

I suspect your gun shop owners were confused about this:

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=1537

quote:Rep. Ritze proposes bill to allow the open carry of weapons

Oklahomans would be allowed to carry a visible rifle, shotgun or pistol without a handgun license under a bill filed by state Rep. Mike Ritze.

"In Oklahoma, carrying a rifle or shotgun in your pickup is an accepted practice and most Oklahomans believe they should have the right to carry their guns openly if they have not been convicted of a crime," by Ritze, R-Broken Arrow. "I hope my fellow lawmakers will approve this bill in committee. It is an affirmation of their belief in our Second Amendment rights."

House Bill 1414 specifies that the firearm would have to be carried in a belt holster, a scabbard or a case designed for carrying firearms that is "wholly or partially visible." Currently, Oklahomans by law may carry an unloaded, visible rifle, shotgun or pistol to hunt, in a class, at a sporting event or in a police or military function without a handgun license.

"I believe House Bill 1414 will make it crystal clear that you can have a hunting rifle in your vehicle under most circumstances," Ritze said.

Ritze noted that he planned to support several gun bills filed by other lawmakers during the 2009 legislative session including a bill that would create lifetime concealed carry licenses.

"Oklahomans oppose most gun restrictions with the exception of preventing convicted felons from purchasing firearms," Ritze said. "The Second Amendment guarantees our right to bear arms, however, and as I was elected to uphold our rights, I will do my best to eliminate gun restrictions I see as unreasonably restrictive."

Since the article was posted Thursday the 26th of Feb, there is no possible way this was passed into law and enacted yet. I don't know OK State politics well enough to have any idea if it will pass or not, but if you live in OK and like the idea, I'd suggest IMMEDIATELY contacting your State legislator and letting them know!
  • Options
    interlockingfieldsoffireinterlockingfieldsoffire Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone.
    I will contact the state.