In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trucker Strike = Hot Air?

jhigh420jhigh420 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in General Discussion
Talked to my brother-in-law about the potential for a strike - he is an independent truck driver.

He says everyone knows about but him, and there are no details available. Then he gets into the no gasoline for a day would be more effective at lowering the price of diesel which I couldn't disagree with more.

So...is anybody really organizing this or was it just hot air? Is it possible to unionize truckers without the organized crime element?

Comments

• Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jhigh420
    Then he gets into the no gasoline for a day would be more effective at lowering the price of diesel which I couldn't disagree with more.

You are correct but you may not actually understand the technical details [former petroleum engineer checking in]. In order to produce distilliates like diesel fuels, jet fuel and home heating oil you end up with gasoline, whether you wanted it or not, gasoline is a major bi product of distilliate fuels. Right now gasoline consumption is down, not by a whole lot, but consumption has dropped due to record high prices. Even if a one day boycott of gasoline could have an impact on pricing (which it would not) it would have an impact on raising gasoline stocks which in turn would mean even less reason to run more distilliates at the refineries. Gasoline does not store well and it is dangerous as hell so there is always a fine line between gasoline production, storage and demand. If you really want to help your brother in law you need to start putting more miles on your car, burning up more gasoline and raising demand for gasoline. That way the refiners can run more distilliates, which in turn yields more gasoline, which you will continue to burn and raise demand even more! Make an extra trip to the store every day in your car to help out your brother in law.
  • Options
    danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we'll see what happens tomorrow.........
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been watching the posts on the "strike".......but I must admit, I have gone to several stores in the last week, and I have noticed in all of them that certain items that are always plentiful seem to very low in stock........common this like paper goods, laundry soap,etc. I live in the Twin City area of Minnesota and shop at large retail grocery stores......Maybe just coincedence.....but could it be that trucking Companies themselves are cutting back service (taking trucks off the roads) in order cut loses, and running bare bones operations to pay the bills. Don't really know the answer, but I guess we will know more tomorrow. Good Luck to all who feel the need to participate.