In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Classic Loader

elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
edited August 2008 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    That's how most of the real loaders started. We learned a lot from those little tools.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low tech quality.
    Big time.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cheap and practical way to find out if you like reloading. Also great for those with little space for a reloading setup.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,467 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    That's how I started out.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I used Lee Loaders for years, for 12 ga., 6mm Rem., and 30-06. Excellent option for those with limited space and/or limited income.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    That is how I started, way back in 1973???
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not reloading many rounds, the Lee loaders are fine. Takes more time than the regular press but teaches a great deal about reloading. I have and used several and have no complaints. Regards.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded a ton of 12 ga many many year's ago with a lee loader. For the Price and the job they did it was Greaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I had more time than money so it fit my need.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I loaded thousands of rounds of perfectly useable ammunition in .270. .243. and 30-06 back when I started in the mid-sixties, using Lee Hand Loaders.

I shot deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, and a couple steers with that ammo...and was never disappointed.
    At one time I practiced on 3 pound coffee cans at 400 yards, using the rounds loaded on those little boxes of tools...and still have them around here somewhere...PLUS several more I have picked up over the years.

I have long since moved on to Dillons and RCBSs..but those Lees are still as viable today as they were 40-odd years ago.

They are slow, they are labor intensive ..but if ten bucks is what you have and a desire to find out if reloading is for you...that ten bucks will be the best 10 you ever spent.

By the way...10 bucks is about what they cost in the mid-sixties ..somewhere between 5-10 dollars....my aging memory fails at the exact princely sum.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    I loaded thousands of rounds of perfectly useable ammunition in .270. .243. and 30-06 back when I started in the mid-sixties, using Lee Hand Loaders.

I shot deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, and a couple steers with that ammo...and was never disappointed.
    At one time I practiced on 3 pound coffee cans at 400 yards, using the rounds loaded on those little boxes of tools...and still have them around here somewhere...PLUS several more I have picked up over the years.

I have long since moved on to Dillons and RCBSs..but those Lees are still as viable today as they were 40-odd years ago.

They are slow, they are labor intensive ..but if ten bucks is what you have and a desire to find out if reloading is for you...that ten bucks will be the best 10 you ever spent.

By the way...10 bucks is about what they cost in the mid-sixties ..somewhere between 5-10 dollars....my aging memory fails at the exact princely sum.

Yep, my dad, brother and I would each shoot about three rounds each during deer season, and that was a lot of meat. The first thing we would do is reload the shells we shot with a lee loader and put them back in the box for next year.

Dad didn't believe in shooting for practice or fun, only for killing varmints or food, or to put an injured animal down. Those old guys were set in their ways.

He thought my brother and I were some of the biggest waisters of ammo on the planet![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank for the input guys.

I think I'm going to get one and try it out. Slow is fine for me because I just don't shoot much anymore but the ammo prices are getting out of hand.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    Thank for the input guys.

I think I'm going to get one and try it out. Slow is fine for me because I just don't shoot much anymore but the ammo prices are getting out of hand.

Just have a good place to keep the primers and powder dry, and keep the bullets from tarnishing. You'll be good to go.
  • Options
    CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It held the Guinness record for the world's smallest group for over 7 years. Well, over a million of these have been sold.
    If your loading small quantities for a bolt action then it's a good way to go.
    But the Lee loader neck sizes only. This is not what you want for reloads that will be shot in multiple guns.

I'm a newbie to reloading and I just brought a Lee anniversary kit for around 100 bucks. It's pretty much everything I need to get started, once I got the dies (30 bucks a set). This might be your next step, if you want to get into reloading.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elk, don't waste your time with those, do what CGR did and you will be much happier in the long run.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Throw it all in the pond???
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    "Don't waste your time" ? Indeed ?

There speaks the heartfelt view of a generation of 'gotta have everything RIGHT NOW' experience.

The 'time' you spend with those handtools forces you to actually think about each step of the process, the reason for it, and the importance on doing it exactly the same every time to produce a round that not only can you be proud of...but is safe to shoot.

Not ONE SECOND you spend learning is 'wasted'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I get older I'm becoming more and more like my father...which is not a bad thing. I find myself placing more and more value in things that are "old school", simple, repeatable, and reliable. Sounds like the lee loader could fit in nicely around here.

I know what my Christmas list is going to look like. Some of these were discontinued years ago and could take some digging to find and some extra cash to acquire.

375 H&H
    300 WM
    308 Win
    22 hornet
    45 acp
    38 spl.

I don't think one was ever made for the .454 Casull but I'll keep looking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did they ever make them in 12 ga?
  • Options
    CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think they did. Key word being did. I don't think they ever made the 454, 300 wm, or 375.
    If it was me, I would just buy one or two to learn on then buy a press type reloader. I really think if you get into reloading your going to end up with a reloading press anyway.

Here"s what they currently make.

22 Hornet
    223 Remington
    22/250
    243 Winchester
    6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser
    270 Winchester
    7mm Remington Magnum
    7.62 x 54 Russian
    30 MI Carbine
    30/30 Win (30 Rem)
    308 Winchester
    30/06 Springfield
    303 British
    45/70 Government
    9mm Luger
    38 Special
    357 Magnum
    44 Magnum
    45 ACP
    45 Colt

Reloading is really fun and enjoyable once you get started. I was overwhelmed with it at first. It's really not the complicated.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello I posted this up above
    Posted - 08/30/2008 : 10:26:34 PM

I loaded a ton of 12 ga many many year's ago with a lee loader. For the Price and the job they did it was Greaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I had more time than money so it fit my need.
    [;)][:D][:p][:0][^]
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1

The shotgun version is the Lee Load All
    I have 3 of these in 12,16,and 20 ga. Slow but reliable.

Also have a nice MEC but will never get rid of the Lees.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry fshfndr...I did read it. Severe case if CRS going on this weekend.
    quote:Originally posted by fshfndr
    Hello I posted this up above
    Posted - 08/30/2008 : 10:26:34 PM

[;)][:D][:p][:0][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883

The shotgun version is the Lee Load All
    I have 3 of these in 12,16,and 20 ga. Slow but reliable.

Also have a nice MEC but will never get rid of the Lees.

I used a Load All quite a but when I was little...not the same thing. Dad still has it and would probably give it to me if I asked real nice.

I just found one of ebarf for $28. I'll keep looking...don't like to buy from them.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    "Don't waste your time" ? Indeed ?

There speaks the heartfelt view of a generation of 'gotta have everything RIGHT NOW' experience.

The 'time' you spend with those handtools forces you to actually think about each step of the process, the reason for it, and the importance on doing it exactly the same every time to produce a round that not only can you be proud of...but is safe to shoot.

Not ONE SECOND you spend learning is 'wasted'.
    GOTTA HAVE EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW? hardly, if I wanted everything right now I woulda told him to get a Dillon 650 fully loaded. For a hundred bucks with the LEE Kit you can't go wrong if you're just starting out.