In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Schwarzenegger orders minimum wage

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Schwarzenegger orders cuts amid fiscal crisis

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - With California's cash dwindling and legislators still debating a new budget, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger eliminated thousands of part-time and temporary state positions Thursday and ordered that 200,000 state workers receive the federal minimum wage.

His signing of the executive order had been expected since last week but stood as a stark illustration of the cash problem facing the nation's most populous state. Schwarzenegger apologized to state workers but said he had no choice.

"Today I am exercising my executive authority to avoid a full-blown crisis and keep our state moving forward," Schwarzenegger said. "This is not an action I take lightly."

The moves could save hundreds of millions of dollars a month, but whether full-time employees' paychecks will be cut is in doubt because the state controller, who cuts the checks, has said he will not comply with it.

Lawmakers have yet to agree on a spending plan a month after the state's fiscal year began, leaving California without the ability to pay for contractors, the higher education system and legislative employees.

Democratic and Republican lawmakers remain divided over how to close a $15.2 billion deficit, with Democrats favoring $8.2 billion in new taxes on corporations and the state's wealthiest residents. Republicans want a spending cap and oppose tax increases.

Adding to the fiscal mess has been an unprecedented number of wildfires this year, costing the state far more for emergency response than it had budgeted.

As of June, more than 30 states faced deficits totaling a projected $40 billion, or more than triple the gap of the previous year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

California is the last state with a fiscal year that begins July 1 that still does not have a budget. It is facing a $15.2 billion deficit, dwarfing that of all other states. The next highest at the start of the fiscal year was New York's, at $5.2 billion.

Schwarzenegger's cuts exempt public safety agencies such as police and fire departments and prisons but will have an immediate effect everywhere else: Hiring, overtime and contracting will be halted, and tens of thousands of employees will feel the squeeze.

Assembly Speaker Karen Bass said she was disappointed with the decision to defer the pay of full-time employees until a budget is signed.

"It is an unwise and unfortunate move to cause economic strife to public servants and their families who are working hard and playing by the rules," the Los Angeles Democrat said in a statement.

Bass said she hoped legislative leaders would submit a spending plan to Schwarzenegger "in the next few days."

Schwarzenegger order eliminating jobs covers 22,000 retired state employees who work under contract, temporary and part-time workers such as those who fill in at the Department of Motor Vehicles, seasonal employees and student assistants. But Schwarzenegger's finance team said of that total, just 10,300 would receive pink slips immediately. The others are workers who might be exempted from the order because they are deemed crucial to public safety.

Schwarzenegger also cited a 2003 California Supreme Court ruling allowing him to slash the pay of regular full-time employees when the state lacks a budget. By law, those workers must be paid at least the federal minimum wage of $6.55 an hour and will be reimbursed once a budget is approved.

The administration estimates that immediately terminating the contracts and suspending overtime would save the state as much as $80 million a month. The deferred wages for full-time employees would take several weeks to implement, saving the state anywhere from $300 million to $1 billion a month starting in late August, depending on how many employees are determined to be exempt from the executive order.

Department heads were ordered to develop a list of exempt employees by Friday.

Before he signed the order, Schwarzenegger said he understood the effect it will have on thousands of people and apologized to state employees.

"It is a terrible situation to be in," he said. "I don't think any governor wants to be in this situation."

The first paycheck to be affected by the minimum wage order would be the one state employees receive in early September, but state Controller John Chiang, a Democrat, sent a letter to Schwarzenegger on Thursday saying he will defy the order and issue employees their regular paychecks.

He said the governor's executive order was based on "faulty legal and factual premises."

Chiang said the 2003 Supreme Court ruling did not specify the actual amount of the salary his office could pay state employees during a budget impasse.

The controller and the Republican administration also differ over the state's financial condition. Chiang maintains that California has enough money to meet all its expenses through September.

If it's later determined that California has insufficient money, Chiang said he is authorized to borrow until a budget is approved.

Chiang's refusal to comply sets up a potential legal skirmish between his office and Schwarzenegger's.

The governor was asked during a news conference whether his administration would sue the controller's office if it did not comply with the executive order.

"If that's what it takes," he said. "I'm here to make sure that our state functions, and whatever it takes, I will do it."

Comments

• Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If that's what it takes," he said. "I'm here to make sure that our state functions, and whatever it takes, I will do it."..signed "THE GUBERNATOR"..
    there you go Kalifornia..stand by why the shepard leads the flock..he ought to be impeached..are there any sensible folks left in Kali?..I guess the SHTF there today..we await the outcome of the actor turned dictator..Loko [V][V][V]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dammmm sure wouldn't cut the free ride for ILLEGALS...just cut wages of those taxpayers who are required to support ILLEGALS
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder what he would do if the same workers walked off the job[:0]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    Don

Yep, and decide to take their sick or vacation time. "Hasta La Vista, baby!" [:D]
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he shoud have cut the legislators pay, maybe they would take notice then...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    triple223taptriple223tap Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Ahhhhnold was elected, I thought he'd be another joke like Jesse Ventura.

Tuns out he's a smart guy.

Too bad he can't run for president.
  • Options
    get_involvedget_involved Member Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arnold said illegals aren't causing the deficit in California yet they cost the State $10 BILLION dollars a year! Too many steroids affected his brain I think. What a lying flip flopping politician Arnold turned out to be. Big disappointment!

girlymangw3.jpg
  • Options
    get_involvedget_involved Member Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badwrench
    Don't blame me, I voted for Larry Flynt!

Larry Flynt? Sickening! Now I have to go and wash my hands.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a problem that will just work itself out.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens all the time..........
    fire the janitors and give the CEO a big, fat raise.[:(!]
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he shoud have cut the legislators pay, maybe they would take notice then...
    Don

Agree. You would think he would lock the doors on those legislators so they couldn't leave, and stopped paying them until they come up with a budget.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it ironic that Arnie has become the same kind of dirtbag his characters fought in "The Running Man" and "Total Recall"
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a ploy, and a good one. He's trying to force the hand of the legislature so they will pass a budget.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Didn't see any mention that he was cutting his or his staffs pay or any of the legislators pay. Always cut at the bottom where the savings are low so you don't hurt yourself or your friends!! Typical management decision.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The state worker's unions are the main backers of the Democratic Party in Kalifornia. He is hoping they will put pressure on the Democrats in the legislature. Probably won't work, but hey he has to try.
    They will get their back pay when it is settled & there will probably be lawsuits as well that will cost us a few million more.
    They already had TV ads by the nurses crying about how they can't be cut.
    Instead of figuring out what needs to be cut to get by on what they have they just want to go on spending like they always have.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    He should have fired 2/3's of CA bureaucrats, that'd save'em some money.
  • Options
    PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see what is wrong with that move. Here is MI we don't have that option so the governor can only shut down the state and send everyone home. The employees don't get paid and there is no retro. Legislative salaries are set by law in so they could not be "cut" here either.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by agman1999
    It's a ploy, and a good one. He's trying to force the hand of the legislature so they will pass a budget.

I am in the minority and agree with you. [^]
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Billions of dollars in royality money sitting right offshore and ya can't touch it. I wonder who's to blame for that.
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don

There are plenty of Mexicans in KA who will "do the jobs Americans won't do."