In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sometimes Risks Pay Off Big! PIX UPDATE

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Went to the car auction a couple of weeks ago and a Mercedes caught my eye. It was a '89 300 E Class. Great body, but wouldn't stay cranked. You could tell it had been abused as there were three different brands of spark plugs in the motor and the oil looked like liquid tar.
Anyway, I wasn't going to put much in it, but as the auctioneer kept dropping the price with no one bidding, when he hit $800 and was going to send it on through, I bid $700. All this time he had been asking me if I wanted a car, ribbing me. He said he would have to check with the owner and an assistant and I went into the office. To make a long story short, I got a Mercedes Benz for $775!

The drive home was uneventful. The bald tires were out of balance, I didn't know if the guages could be trusted, the tranny shifted hard, and the headlights were out of adjustment.

Over the past couple of weeks I've changed the oil, put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in, a couple of cans of Seafoam, and some Lucas transmission stuff. I also put premium gasoline in.
I still need to replace the shocks since I know they are shot, but the car runs great! I got it up to 146 mph today but it was unstable due to the bad shocks, so I throttled back. I also cleaned out the fuse box with tuner cleaner and got most of the electrics back working (fog lamps, head rests, etc.).

I don't have a maintenance book yet, so the sunroof and power antenna repairs will have to wait, but at over 20 mpg and a comfortable leather seat, I'm not complaining. I'm pretty sure whomever had it before used piss gas and made little effort to take care of it.
Now I'm looking for a bumper sticker for my Honda that says "My Other Car is a MERCEDES" [:o)]

ADDENDUM Pictures

Mercedes001.jpg

Mercedes002.jpg

Mercedes003.jpg

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Nice score skyking. Good for you.[:)]
    edited November -1
    Way to go, a pic would be nice[:)]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    Post some pictures when you can. My FIL's neighbor lady has an old puke green Mercedes diesel. If it is ever sold, I would like to own it.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you sell the cars you find and fix up? It sounds like you have an eye for hidden treasure....
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    Very nice score! I need to go to an auto auction, I want a 94-04 Chevy S-10. Not a rare thing, I know, but I want a $200-500 S-10, and I'm not going to get that unless I get a wrecked one around here.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you got lucky if it was luck. You gonna keep it or sell it?
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    way to go!
    it's a good thing you can work on it yourself, cause hourly rate at the dealership is $100!
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    146 with out of balance tires?
    Are you suffering a death wish?[:D]
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Mercedes bumper sticker

Mercedes bumper sticker

Dammit, I can't figure out the damn tiny url crap to save my life. Just go to google images and type in "My other car is a Mercedes" and the first site is a site that sells them.

I think this will get you there.

http://www.zazzle.com/my_other_car_is_a_mercedes_bumper_sticker-128643530445949913
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Sounds pretty good for a 20 year old car, and it's amazing what a little TLC will do for quality iron![;)]
    edited November -1
    The only experience I've had with Mercedes is their diesels...which were very good cars.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    146 with out of balance tires?
    Are you suffering a death wish?[:D]

I think the speedo was off, 89 Corvette Top rated speed was 150... The redesign that was introduced in 1997 had a 200mph speedo, but the car common top speed in the 160's. GM pegged it at 172, but you can utube it and find speedos hitting 195-200. Now, @ 200mph you are booking some serious ace.

I can't fathom a 89 Benz sick as you described coming even close to 140 in it's dreams. Even off the show room floor. Muchless bald tires and worn shocks.

However, I had a 88 chevy longbed witha 350 and I could smoke mustang 5.0's all day long. The mustang was a joke against that truck. From the factory it was a beast. I have no clue how fast I had gotten up to, but the speedo went all the way around and back to 25 again.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Do you sell the cars you find and fix up? It sounds like you have an eye for hidden treasure....

I just enjoy the challenge of tinkering with something. When I've learned enough out of it, I'll probably sell it and recoup my cash. I had no idea it was as good as it turned out. Nothing really wrong with it, just abused by the previous owners and no one really looked any deeper than the surface. The cap and rotor were the worst eaten up I have ever seen on anything! It's kinda involved to take it off, so no one did.
    I did put new tires on it first thing for all the folks worried about the speed, I just forgot to mention it.
    I know nothing about Corvettes. Anything made of plastic with no trunk has never interested me much, but I know the MB can go very fast and it did 146 yesterday for a brief time.
    I'll post some photos as soon as we get a little sunshine! [:D]

BTW, Thanks Matwor, I found it![:p]
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the great find![8D]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Great score. Drive it for a year then sell it and triple your money![:p] Photos!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 1977 280E a few years ago. What a rocketship!
    I don't know what the top end was, but it would do 110, and get there fast!
    Beautiful cars.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Got a minty 300D for $500 once cause it wouldn't start. I connected the vaccum hose under the steering column that engages the ignition, started it up and drove it for five years before some a-hole hit me. Knowing how things work is valuable.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    146? better get those guages checked afterall[;)]...I doubt my Porsche will go 146
    I did some checking, My porsche has a factory tested top speed of 148 . it weighs 450 lbs more than a 911 sc
    this is the thing I don't like about German cars, if it were an american car I could add an exaust, intake, change the gearing and get the performance I want for a resonable price, for this car? I need to spend a fortune 6-8 grand might shave half a second off 0-60 times and 1/4 miles. It would be much smarter to sell this car and buy a newer one with specs and performance I like. Even then, it would never keep up with a new corvette.
    I am not a fast driver, have a clean record since 01 when I got a ticket returning a gf' purse. 70 in a 60. and it was 10 years longer to the next infraction. But when I want to go fast, I want to go fast. I like knowing that, at any time, I could do a block long smokie burnout or hit 150 without hesitation.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get another sticker for your Mercedes.
    Get one that says:
    My other car is also a Mercedes. I know it's not, but won't that make people jealous...
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1