In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tinnitus

Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
September 2007 a thread was posted by Nunn in reference to Tinnitus titled Is there a cure for Tinnitus. http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=264140&SearchTerms=tinnitus

At the time of the posting I had a problem with my right ear constantly ringing; occasionally my left would kick in. A few taps with index finger would knock the ringing in the left ear out and I could from time to time reduce the ringing in the right by tapping the cartilage on front side of the ear with index finger

About eight months ago or a little more the left permanently kicked in, the right increased in pitch and volume, both are about the same in volume have reduced hearing, particularly the left. Have no idea why everything relating to increased Tinnitus and hearing loss occurred, but it sure as hell has. I can't recall doing anything stupid to cause the change

I have a set of high tech hearing aids which help some people with the symptoms of Tinnitus, only makes it worse in my case. It's like being locked and trapped in a room with a high pitch you can't run from

Most times, after having in the right ear since 1954, I learned to live and cope with it. Although there are times it takes all the discipline I can muster to keep control of myself since it went to both ears plus the hearing loss

As of this date there in no know cure that I am aware of, there is the big push by some for over the counter Vitamins. Tried that, might as well piss in the wind there would be more relief. Possibly there are other herbs or something someone knows of that help

Anybody have some things they do or know of that might offer some relief? I've pretty much done them all, the radio, music and on and on. Thought I would hit the Forum, I thought who knows maybe someone has something else to try
since the last posting almost two years ago

I read there are estimates of 45 to 60 million people with a Tinnitus problem, with so many effected it would make one think there has been a lot research done for a cure and apparently they hit a wall, possibly one will be discovered in the future as there has to be thousands with a more acute problem than mine. I have been told and read in some instances some commit suicide to get away from the noise

Comments

• Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    I noticed in the quiet thread that many of you reported having tinnitus.
    Any of you have accompanying bouts of vertigo?
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn cricket sound 24/7 does that count.[xx(]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting large caliber magnum pistols without ear protection in my youth and later flying in the backend of the Navy's E2 pretty much did it to me. I have a constant ring in both ears with occasional changes in pitch. I've learned to live with it and rarely notice it, except when I think about it or like now when I read your thread!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• RinkRink Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always had Tinnitis, when stressed its very noticeable, what I do about it? nothing, not much I can do about it.

I was born with a hearing disability, something missing in my inner ear (i.e. the nerve) 80% in the right ear, 60 % in the left, I use hearing aids and have always dealt with tinnitis all my life, later on its gotten worse but like I said I notice it when I'm stressed.

There are times i cant stand noise of any kind, and have to trurn off the TV and anything else making noise.

Why I dunno.

With some people, having a background noise like ocean waves or such helps them.

The best you can do is learn about it and research how others deal with it.

Here are a couple of links to help understand Tinnitis

Tinnitis, Understanding the Basics
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-tinnitus-basics

and

Understanding Tinnitus - Symptoms
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-tinnitus-symptoms
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    DAMN YOUR EARS FORD!!! Now u got me thinking about it too!!!
    Mine has to be from that damn Nugent concert, when i had row3 far left side,12' from a stack of Marshall about 40' high.
    Could be from never wearing ears in the duck blind too.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tinnitus is a genuine bastid to live with. It can be caused by noise exposure (mine was), some diseases and some things that they haven't identified yet. It normally is not curable except by severing the auditory nerves - which makes you absolutely and permanently deaf.

If you have it, it can get worse with noise, alcohol, aspirin, nuts, chocolate or caffeine. Tinnitus is suspected to be the third most common cause of suicide -- no joking matter at ALL.

None of the various herbal or vitamin supplements has been shown to be more effective than a placebo. Save your money. "White" noise generators or sounds of nature can be helpful to those who have trouble sleeping, as can low-volume music. Earplugs make it worse because they mask the external sounds, thus emphasizing the internal ones.

Like some of you, I have learned to "tune out" my own tinnitus, which is a constant high-pitch whistle akin to the whine of a mis-tuned radio. Both ears; which may actually be better as it is balanced. Talking about it (like now) makes it noticeable - damn it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you've had it since 1954 you're probably as used to it as you're going to get. A lot, maybe most, of the forum members have it. Sometimes it drives me up the wall and other times I almost don't notice it, but it never stops.

The otologist (ear doctor) has some hearing aid looking things that make a buzzing noise which is supposed to help some people, but I think it's worse than the ringing.

The only thing I've found that helps distract me a little is keeping a radio or TV on almost all the time, but you have already tried that.

Sorry I can't be much help with this one, but if you find anything let us know.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • RinkRink Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know why this is, but 'white noise' will drive me bats, I cant stand such stuff for very long (a VERY short timeframe, like a few minutes only at the most)

When my tinnitis acted up I tried that 'white noise' and regretted it.

Just isnt for everyone I guess, and I'm one it just doesnt work on.

I find, if I cultivate peace of mind and work on the stress factors it lessens my tinnitis significantly.

Course thats just 'me' k.

I pray those suffering from it finds relief in one form or another.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    take 300mg of co enzyme q10 a day and soak each ear with a half cap full of hydrogen peroxide once a week...make sure it is tinnitus though, as it could be high bloodpressure or diabetes, have a doctor check you out[;)]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Shooting an M16A2 left handed at the age of 17 along with many metal concerts has given me tinnitus.

There is really no way to get rid of it. Things that help me out..

1. Ear protection. Even when mowing or shooting 22.

2. Low sodium. For some reason if I eat a lot of salt it flares up.

3. Drop of cod liver oil U.S.P. (warm) in my ear before a shower.

4. Hot shower relaxes * muscles.

It really sucks when it goes off like a kid with a hammer banging on the insides of a piano.

Hopefully, I will just go deaf in my right ear one day. I can use that side to listen to the wife with.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I guess I should be grateful. Mine isn't as bad as some, but it is constant.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    Riding motorcycles w/o hearing protection can be very bad. [:(]

Guilty on all charges.....[xx(]

OOPS.. I forgot about the 9 years of this btich! U may be onto something.
    If y'all think your Harleys are loud, i got news...
    c520re2.jpg
    This is "LOUD"!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

c520re2.jpg
    This is "LOUD"!!

Sick jap bike!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490

c520re2.jpg
    This is "LOUD"!!

Sick jap bike!

HARLEY-EATER![:D]
    I should add, if U ever lined-up w/me, on a HOG, you KNOW HOW LOUD IT IS, because it blasted u, OFF THE LINE!![B)]
    edited November -1

c520re2.jpg
    This is "LOUD"!!

Sick jap bike!

I should add, if U ever lined-up w/me, on a HOG, you KNOW HOW LOUD IT IS, because it blasted u, OFF THE LINE!![B)]

Really like your bike, but my rat rod would smoke it! :) At least off the line. You would get me at the top end.

evilbike_1.jpg
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I earned my constant hissing in both ears in the Army, riding motorcycles with megaphone exhausts, flying airplanes and shooting noisy guns all without ear protection.
    As long as it doesn't get worse,I can live with it.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I've got it too. Both ears. It got even worse after my heart attack with the meds I'm on. It's almost unbearable at times, but what you gonna do?
    edited November -1

c520re2.jpg
    This is "LOUD"!!

Sick jap bike!

Really like your bike, but my rat rod would smoke it! :) At least off the line. You would get me at the top end.

evilbike_1.jpg

U CANNOT be serious....LMAO!!! I pulled constant .590 lights and .277 60'hole shots, w/o Wheelie bars. Surely u jest, i wouldn't even ride that RAT, with the "HARD SPOTS" in the chain.[B)][B)]
    edited November -1
    U CANNOT be serious....LMAO!!! I pulled constant .590 lights and .277 60'hole shots, w/o Wheelie bars. Surely u jest, i wouldn't even ride that RAT, with the "HARD SPOTS" in the chain.[B)][B)]

She might surprise you. I know your bike is fast. It is obviously a trailer queen. :) You noticed the chain so you obviously ride a lot. Hop that sucker on a trailer and bring her up to Montana. Lots of open road with no cops on them. This pig has no trailer and looks pretty ugly on the outside. It's what is inside that counts.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got it, too. It is one of the lousy symptoms of Meniere's Disease. It is worst in my right ear but the Dr said the left ear will catch up. I have not found anything that helps. The Dr said when you find something that makes it worse, then try to avoid doing that. Oh well, the alternative is not so hot either!
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Yep, got it too. Have had for a long time. The only thing that helps is to try to think of something else. If you concentrate on the "hiss" it will drive you crazy.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both of those bikes look like something Toecutter would ride.[:)]

Toecutter1.jpg