In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man cave Question

longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
Thinking of building a man cave with walkout basement. In the basement I want to build a vault room.
Anthing I should be concidering while constucting the vault room? Drains, dehumidifier, Heat, lights?

Comments

• Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the above. With a dehumidifier you will need a drain. you want lots of light( wish I had put twice as much in my reloading/gun room. Where your at you need heat if your going to spend any time in it. My daughter is in Lincoln we should get together some time.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    FULL A/C and heat. U want to be comfortable while you are down there..
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dehumidifier is a must to keep mold and smells down. I put in a drop ceiling so I can still access lights, wires and pipes. As far as hvac, I wouldn't put air in because the basement stays cool in the summer, but I would do some kind of heat. As far as a walk out basement, I didn't do that because I didn't want anyone to be able to come in through the basement to rob my guns and so on. I wanted the access but the insurance company talked me out of it for these reasons. I do like the gun vault idea. If you decide to just go with a safe, put it up on a pedestal to keep moisture from rusting out the bottom. If you are going to carpet it, make sure you have a french drain and sump pump in case of a flood. Recessed or high hat lights are a must and lots of them. Also, keep the walls painted white to help with the lighting. Hope some of these ideas help you. Oakie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I disconnected my ac or turned the registers off in the summer. It got way too cold and uncomfortable in the summer down there. Just my experience.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was going to put heat & A/C in the building, but should I put it into the vault area. It would be about 8'X 28' area with a vault door.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    Thinking of building a man cave with walkout basement. In the basement I want to build a vault room.
    Anthing I should be concidering while constucting the vault room? Drains, dehumidifier, Heat, lights?

YES!!!! to all. Nothing is worse than poor lighting, ventilation, SAFETY and uncontrolled atmosphere. Do a LOT of home work, learn, learn and learn some more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    I was going to put heat & A/C in the building, but should I put it into the vault area. It would be about 8'X 28' area with a vault door.

Yes, but with a dehumidifier also. If not, I would think your guns would have a problem with rust. Just my thoughts. I have seen what a room in the basement will do to a gun, without a dehumidifier.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have drain tile in the area where you will be building the vault you can simply drill a hole in the slab above the tile to drain a dehumidifier discharge into. That and a small electric plug in heater when temperatures drop should do the trick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got a lot of thoughts going through my head. Would heated floors be a good idea?
    I've got plenty of slope for drainage. The walk out area would have a deck over it from the main floor.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dehumidifier drains into the same pump out unit as the HVAC system. I also have a water alarm on the floor right there that is wired into the alarm system. It treats the water zone like a fire zone and will alarm at any time. I was working on some lighting circuits down there one weekend and turned off the circuit for the dehumidifier and the pump, but forgot to shut the AC off..... it overflowed maybe a pint before the alarm went off. It is not a damp basement, but having that dehumidifier really makes a difference. I would recommend putting the safe up on something to isolate it from the slab but that will not wick moisture either. I had some scraps of marble tile left from a bathroom job that worked out just right.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you check your area for Radon gas. If your area has a history, look into a system to remove the gas. Cheaper to install during build-out.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Vault Door?

Sounds serious.

Install it yourself or have it done by a contractor?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High pressure concrete.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still in the planning stage. Looking for ideas. Yes poured concrete walls with with vault door is what I'm thinking.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beer tapper ice maker, and urinal is about all I can add!!
  • Options
    phipdeerphipdeer Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently looking into a similar plan, 12x18. We are looking at going total ICF with in floor heat for the basement and 10' basement wall height so it won't feel basement.
    What to material are you thinking? I have looked at a steel storm safety room top? If you want to also be a storm safe room make your door an in swing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was looking at complete poured walls & ceiling. The swing in door is good idea for storm safety.
    This will be a separate building from my house. Upper level will be play rec. area & be able to shoot off the deck. I live in the country. Great having a shooting range right outside your door.
    Have antique Brunswick pool table for the upper area. Going to put in a kitchen, restroom, shower, & hide a bed for overnight guests.
    Lower level for the vault area & work area, loading bench.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Vaulted ceilings and a moose head over the pool table.

You know with the GunBroker updates this will cost you upwards of a million dollars.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know it just keeps growing.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can someone educate a Native Texican?

What's a walkout basement?
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997

.....Someone who knows someone with dynamite would know. [:D]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Usually sliding glass doors in the basement going to the outside.
    Picture a house built on a hillside and one end of the basement exits at ground level.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good description.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad

Usually sliding glass doors in the basement going to the outside.
    Picture a house built on a hillside and one end of the basement exits at ground level.

We call 'em a daylight basement.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Our house is built on the same slope with the walkout basement. Makes the basement not seem like one.