In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WH wants to Keep Gas Prices HIgh

TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
White House Wants to Keep Gas Prices High

With the national average of gas prices hitting $3.65 a gallon, nearing $6 in some parts of the country, and poised to head even higher, America's families are wondering when the bleeding at the pump will stop. But for Secretary of Energy Stephen Chu, those steep prices aren't even a concern. In fact, he says his goal is not to get the price of gasoline to go down.

Chu delivered those stunning remarks in testimony before Congress yesterday. When Rep. Alan Nunnelee (R-Miss.) asked Chu whether it's his "overall goal to get our price" of gasoline lower, Chu said, "No, the overall goal is to decrease our dependency on oil, to build and strengthen our economy."

As shocking as his remarks are, they shouldn't come as a surprise. Chu has a long record of advocating for higher gas prices. In 2008, he stated, "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe." Last March, he reiterated his point in an interview with Fox News' Chris Wallace, noting that his focus is to ease the pain felt by his energy policies by forcing automakers to make more fuel-efficient automobiles. "What I'm doing since I became Secretary of Energy has been quite clear. What I have been doing is developing methods to take the pain out of high gas prices."

One of those methods is dumping taxpayer dollars into alternative energy projects like the Solyndra solar plant. Another is subsidizing the purchase of high-cost electric cars like the Chevy Volt to the tune of $7,500 per car (which the White House wants to increase to $10,000). In both cases, those methods aren't working. Solyndra went bankrupt because its product couldn't bear the weight of market pressures, and Chevy Volts aren't selling, even with taxpayer-funded rebates. What's the president's next plan? Harvesting "a bunch of algae" as a replacement for oil.

Comments

• Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hemp plant would be quicker and better since it has many uses
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will never get the hemp because I think most in the WH and Congress are using up that supply[xx(][V][:(]
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    "Chu said, 'No, the overall goal is to decrease our dependency on oil, to build and strengthen our economy."

Well, ya friggin IDJIT, I live in the middle of Wyoming and I drive a truck that uses FOSSIL FUELS. The top ten employers in my county are ENERGY COMPANIES, and they're pullin' their hair out trying to get your granola-crunchin' Bureau of Land Management stooges to issue some drilling permits. The locals here are about to riot against the U.S. government, and you are going to whip up some alternative fuels for our molotov cocktails?

Oh, and I see Montana and Wyoming's low-sulphur coal is now going to be sold to CHINA!!! Because your ponytailed bunnyhuggin' supporters on both coasts don't want the power for their electric cars to come from clean American coal! But oil from marxist Venezuela is okay. Your entire administration is nothing but friggin' IDJITS!!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    again....shocker

folks really should start paying attention to the things our politicians tell us. I believe the words Obama used were "necessarily skyrocket"
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1