In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Woman who was told to take down American flag

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Another attack on the American Flag. (I'd suggest that we learn how to recognize what is and is not a "noble cause" so that we might recognize our friends and know our enemies.)

(UPDATED BELOW)

This story absolutely infuriated me.

A hospital worker whose daughter is currently serving in Iraq, and whose husband and son are both veterans, hung a flag in her office wall on Memorial Day.

She was told to take the flag down because one of her supervisors, "who was not born in this country," was offended.

Well that's just too damn bad.

It's not a religious message; it's not hate speech; it's the American flag, displayed on a holiday which honors those who have served and sacrificed in the American armed services.

If you're so offended by the mere sight of the flag of a country in which you have chosen to live, and whose freedoms and protections and high standard of living you enjoy, then get the hell back where you came from.
---
UPDATE: Just heard on KRLD that the hospital has not only allowed her to re-hang the flag but has also issued a "sincere apology."

I guess the complaining co-worker will just have to live with being offended.

http://writingathena.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/27/2868827-updated-woman-who-was-told-to-take-down-american-flag-on-memorial-day-because-it-offended-supervisor-gets-apology-from-hospital

What did you do when they began attacking the Confederate Flag? Nothing? Now, they are attacking Old Glory the same way. What are you going to do now? Anything?
What's next?

Comments

• lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT !!!!! IF you don't like it here, don't let the door hit you in the * on the way out. I sure as heck ain't taking down an American Flag because somebody not born here is offended. '
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCREW THE SCUM that come here, feed off of our freedoms then protest that any representation of America offends them...we NEED to start exporting these LOWLIFES
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the person do not like the AMERICAN flag aka old glory they can get the heck out of the United States and stay the heck out!!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would have lost my job before that flag came down...and if anyone but me dared to touch it, I'd be sitting in jail right now.[:(!]
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember reading in the constitution the right to not be offended.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with ecc i would be sitting in jail. I have a little anger problem. Im stupid intolerant. Only in America!!!!!!![:)][:)]
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The complaining supervisor is from Africa. I'm sure a Nigerian flag would have been fine. [:(!]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am deeply offended by anybody who claims to be offended by things I find inoffensive.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I am deeply offended by anybody who claims to be offended by things I find inoffensive.

Your post offends me. [:(!][:D]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    well thats just too damn bad, if the American flag offends anyone in America ( born here or not) well you can just get the f'n hell out of my country.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come on fellows, you have to be sensitive to the supervisors emotional ties to his national origin. You have to get with the program of the new Amerika.[:o)]

The lady should file any and all suits available under the sun since her rights were the ones truly violated.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    I am extremely offensive.
    [:)]
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a Traitor's Flag......Oh wait my bad.

BURN DOWN THE HOSPITAL!!!!!
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this African supervisor has issues with the American flag, then when a GI patient or a GI's family goes to that hospital would they get the same quality treatment from the African supervisor as a patient not associated with the flag or military?
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recall reading about him being African......nevermind it was in the comment section....I've heard racist inbred hillbillies say go back to Africa. In this case, they have a point.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were that lady, I'd become offended by "things" all over the office building and demand they be removed. If they don't do it, then slap them with a big fat lawsuit for discrimination.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Sorry folks. As offensive as I find the situation also, it is private property. I am sure I will be attacked for saying so, but generally if the company does not want certain things inside their offices, you can either comply or leave.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:it is private property

Private property?

Federally funded or accepting federal funds for operating as a hospital?

Caring for patients who have Medi-Care and billing the federal government?

The hospital may be in fact private property but it is far from a sovereign private business such as a local grocery store.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq

Private property?

The hospital may be in fact private property but it is far from a sovereign private business such as a local grocery store.

That's the same reason the lefties use for forcing PC on college campuses. If they take student loans from students, then they must comply with all sorts of government goofiness. You sir, are part of the problem.

Whats next? Since the government printed the money, and you accept it at your place of business, then you must comply with our mandates.

I do not agree with the private hospital's decision (although they reversed it later) but it is their hospital, and their right to set rules.

The company that runs this private hospital is Kindred Healthcare and I believe they are based in Kentucky. Give them a call.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq

Private property?

Do local grocery stores take food stamps? Just curious how far you want the government to intrude......
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I faced a similar but not as drastic situation at work. Big push to make everything uniform office to office. I chose to defy the policy and hung pictures of kids, grandkids, and hunting successes. Supervisory personel were in several times but not one word about the pictures hung in sight of the customers. I did get plenty of aggravation on most other things but not that one. I guess they thought it was not worth the fight. In the case mentioned, I would take pictures of ANYTHING hung in any office and make a case of it.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So this hospital's leadership ruled that the supervisor was totally in the wrong on a decision that - besides putting their business in a very bad PR light - has placed them in a seriously shaky position for a civil action.

Considering her demonstrated poor judgement, it sounds like they'd be making a grave error by not removing this woman from a supervisory position.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    it would have been a long,cold day in hell before i would have removed the flag because some mongrel foreighner was offended! i would have stayed by it and fought like a demon to protect it!

and the foreighner would be better off looking for another job because i would go outmof my way to make their life miserable from now on because thats just the type of meanie i am when i get stirred up[}:)][:(!][:(!]
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Kindred Healthcare
    Corporate Headquarters
    680 South Fourth Street
    Louisville, Kentucky 40202
    502-596-7300
    800-545-0749

Paul J. Diaz is the president and chief operating officer.
    edited November -1
    Again....private businesses have the right to set policies. Was it ignorant? Yeah. Was it wrong? Probably. Was it their right to do what they did? Yes.

I hear every day how it was wrong for the government to fire the CEO of GM, how it is wrong for the government to regulate this, that and the other. It works both ways. We have people here begging the nanny state to regulate certain things, but get mad when they regulate others. I say the government should regulate nothing at all like this and let the free market decide where people go for goods and services.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I would have lost my job before that flag came down...and if anyone but me dared to touch it, I'd be sitting in jail right now.[:(!]
    Yeah. I'd have said "you'll probably find this somewhat more offensive" and then, SCHMAK.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I would have told him to take a flying leap.
    show him the window to jump out of,