In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paper patching?

owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Paper patching is mentioned in the Shooter movie and in a thread about Tom Selleck and the gun he used in the mpovie Quingly Down Under, what purpose did this serve and how is it done? Thanks, I would imagine that only the old timers can answer this.

Comments

• ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paper patching was to cut down on lead foul just like jacketed bullets do now.

AT
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    In the movie "SHOOTER" a used projectile, fired at a can of stew - was paperpatched, and fired once more in a different rifle.

To cloak that it came from another rifle and to frame the guy.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I heard you have to "patch" it the way your boom sticks are rifled (clock or counter clock). Mix and match you loose accracy (in "Quigly" it's for accuracy). Basically you have a square of paper and you roll it (in a certain way) on and around the bullet before seating it in brass. Reminds me of cigar rollers, when done right it's beautiful in excecution and when not it's down right fugly[:D].
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by yoshmyster
    From what I heard you have to "patch" it the way your boom sticks are rifled (clock or counter clock). Mix and match you loose accracy (in "Quigly" it's for accuracy). Basically you have a square of paper and you roll it (in a certain way) on and around the bullet before seating it in brass. Reminds me of cigar rollers, when done right it's beautiful in excecution and when not it's down right fugly[:D].

After it is rolled, it is treated with waterglass.
    edited November -1
    I would've figured (in "Shooter") after the bullet ate the can, few trees and then a rock or two. I would've thought it would be destroyed way before making that extra hole in the archbishop. Also trying to find the bullet with snow and the location I doubt it.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commercially paper patched bullets look like they have a cardboard sleeve covering the cylindrical part of the bullet.
    It's very well attached and may be glued or shrunk on the bullet.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Parchment isn't needed. 16 lb onionskin paper is very good, even printer paper is ok.

Generally you proceed with the idea that each wrap will add .004" to the diameter of the bullet, though you should verify this. So if you want a .460" bullet you start with a .452" bullet. You double wrap the bullet so that the paper will be caught by the rifling- so going just up onto the taper of the bullet- and with a tail protruding below. I dip the paper in flour/water mix to provide some glue effect, others don't. Wrap tight. A lot of guys cut each end at 45 degrees, but it isn't really needed. It just helps the roll start easily. Finally you feather the 'tail' over onto the base and stand upright to let dry. You may then shoot as is or lightly lube with something like Lee Liquid Alox. Case neck flaring is a must.

Paper patched bullets can be fired at jacketed velocity. They are very accurate, cheap, but slow to make. They aren't for you if you want to spray 1000 rounds out of your AK but for single shot guns or even bolt actions are very good. They also smooth out a rough or fouled bore very well.

I honestly don't play with them much as generally my needs can be met by standard cast lead bullets, but for a few guns I use them, yes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Parchment isn't needed. 16 lb onionskin paper is very good, even printer paper is ok.

Generally you proceed with the idea that each wrap will add .004" to the diameter of the bullet, though you should verify this. So if you want a .460" bullet you start with a .452" bullet. You double wrap the bullet so that the paper will be caught by the rifling- so going just up onto the taper of the bullet- and with a tail protruding below. I dip the paper in flour/water mix to provide some glue effect, others don't. Wrap tight. A lot of guys cut each end at 45 degrees, but it isn't really needed. It just helps the roll start easily. Finally you feather the 'tail' over onto the base and stand upright to let dry. You may then shoot as is or lightly lube with something like Lee Liquid Alox. Case neck flaring is a must.

Paper patched bullets can be fired at jacketed velocity. They are very accurate, cheap, but slow to make. They aren't for you if you want to spray 1000 rounds out of your AK but for single shot guns or even bolt actions are very good. They also smooth out a rough or fouled bore very well.

I honestly don't play with them much as generally my needs can be met by standard cast lead bullets, but for a few guns I use them, yes.

Jonk, I have never paper patched a breech loader, but learned on a .50 Hawken. We used cotton paper and a 50/50 mix of wax and vaseline for the lube. Do you shoot soft lead or is it alloyed?

AT
    edited November -1
    I use wheelweights because they are free, but dead soft lead would work just as well. As does zinc, otherwise useless for bullet casting.
    edited November -1
    I use wheelweights because they are free, but dead soft lead would work just as well. As does zinc, otherwise useless for bullet casting.

I didn't think wheel weights would be soft enough for the mushroom, but if it works for you. I may break the breech on that old Hawken and play with paper patching again. I do remember it tightening groups and kicking the chrono about another 100 fps.

Thanks for the info Jonk. Something else to play with.

AT
    edited November -1
    Onionskin Paper. Man I haven't heard that in years. Can you even find it in this day and age? I mean do they even make type writers[:D]?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON

I didn't think wheel weights would be soft enough for the mushroom, but if it works for you. I may break the breech on that old Hawken and play with paper patching again. I do remember it tightening groups and kicking the chrono about another 100 fps.

AT

Sure thing. There is no mushroom involved. We're talking smokeless powder, cartridge guns here. The wrapped bullet should be at or 1/1000" over bore groove diameter. So far from mushrooming, we're looking for a swaging effect.

All the Hawkens I know about are frontstuffers. Another animal entirely and with blackpowder you may want to use pure lead, yes. Though I've never heard of paper patching a muzzleloader bullet- either patched cloth for round balls or naked mini/maxi balls, or sabots. Could be though?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON

AT

Sure thing. There is no mushroom involved. We're talking smokeless powder, cartridge guns here. The wrapped bullet should be at or 1/1000" over bore groove diameter. So far from mushrooming, we're looking for a swaging effect.

All the Hawkens I know about are frontstuffers. Another animal entirely and with blackpowder you may want to use pure lead, yes. Though I've never heard of paper patching a muzzleloader bullet- either patched cloth for round balls or naked mini/maxi balls, or sabots. Could be though?

We were paper patching dead lead mini-balls. It was more my dads doing and I was the apprentice as usual.[V] It is a frontstuffer as you put it. By breaking the breech; I meant that he dry balled it 25 years ago and I am going to have to pull it.

AT
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    dont you really think a 50 bmg projectile would be destoryed
    after hit a skull[:p]