In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gas or briquets

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
My gas grilled died
and my wife is sick and tired of it.
We only use it, maybe 3 or 4 times
a year so she wants to buy a charcoal
grill. How may here use charcoal?
Thanks-Ron

Comments

• Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Bottom line...an old fashion charcoal grill is hard to beat, especially if you only use it occasionally.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charcoal is great for flavor and for grilling for a group. A royal pain if you just want to throw a couple burgers on. I have one of each, for their own advantages.

I'd buy another small gas if it's just the two of you.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Ive never owned a gas grill and doubt I ever will, dont see the point of cooking outdoors on a grill/smoker to get an indoor falvor.

Ive had smokers for the last 40 years and only used different woods, mainly Hickory & Mesquite, some Pecan, all readily available around here.
    If you dont use a grill but a few times a year, hands down I'd get a regular grill/smoker vs a gas grill...[;)]
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    king-of-hill3.jpg
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use natural gas grill and no mess no worry about running out.[:D][^]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Propane...here ..nuff said[:D]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    PFfff.KINGSFORD or.A good hardwood fire, burned down to NATURAL COALS...Than add a bit of soaked Hickory,mesquite or Oak.
    It's a PITA, yes but, the benefits of taking that time,is more than worth it.
    The "GAS GRILL" has ruined Americans for REAL BBQ...SAD![V]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Flavor Briquets

Ease of use gas.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought a new Weber...the last one died after 22 years. No gas grill for me.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    wood more better
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use propane with sasafrass and hickory
  • Options
    sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a gas grill, you can light the grill, cook your food, and then finish eating it while you'd still be playing around with getting the charcoal lit and hot enough to start cooking. Yeah, charcoal cooking makes food taste great, but a good grill chef on a gas grill can make a fine meal.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like charcoal better but propane is quicker.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Waiting on the Kingsford to burn down right now.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    #1-Smoker/wood grill

#2-Weber charcoal/wood grill

#3-gas grill

#4-oven.

I use them all, depending on time and conditions. My preference is cooking over hickory, as there is an endless supply of it on my fathers place. I use a lot of hickory wood-charcoal mix. The charcoal keeps the wood burning more evenly.

Just how I like it.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by topdad
    Waiting on the Kingsford to burn down right now.

Same here
    third or fourth time to use our Char-Griller Wrangler Barrel style grill. Great grill!
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    PFfff.KINGSFORD or.A good hardwood fire, burned down to NATURAL COALS...Than add a bit of soaked Hickory,mesquite or Oak.
    It's a PITA, yes but, the benefits of taking that time,is more than worth it.
    The "GAS GRILL" has ruined Americans for REAL BBQ...SAD![V]
    I love charcoal...but dont need it... I use a smoker box with my GAS grill and have no need for the "coals"...long live propane...gotta love Hank Hill
  • Options
    78FJ4078FJ40 Member Posts: 368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grill= charcoal. Still using the Portable Kitchen (brand) charcoal grill I bought in 1971, and I use it a lot. Have had Weber to travel with until I found a small P/K. Cooked some good steaks tonight; can't beat charcoal.

Couple of weeks ago: 5200 ribeye steaks, 87 cookers, World Champion Steak Cookoff and not a single gas grill in sight. (check out Blossomfestival.org)
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...Ive never owned a gas grill and doubt I ever will, dont see the point of cooking outdoors on a grill/smoker to get an indoor falvor.

Ive had smokers for the last 40 years and only used different woods, mainly Hickory & Mesquite, some Pecan, all readily available around here.
    If you dont use a grill but a few times a year, hands down I'd get a regular grill/smoker vs a gas grill...[;)]

AMEN!
    (does that make it a religious thread?)
    all i use is apple, cherry and some pear
    takes a bit longer to get up to heat, takes a small bit of skill if you want to keep a set temperature, but the taste cant be beat!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charcoal, only way to go.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...Ive never owned a gas grill and doubt I ever will, don't see the point of cooking outdoors to get an indoor flavor.

+1
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to echo some of the others. Weber grills and Kingsford charcoal is the way to go. I bought a new gas grill a few years ago and it's already for the landfill. A Weber grill would last you forever with a little care. I like the fact that I can control the heat alot easier with the Weber, and it works great for smoking meats. Last winter I bought a new Weber, a 26" grill. I also bought new grill parts for my old Weber and fixed it up. The old grill is about 15 years old and still works like new. I sold on Weber charcoal grills.

5qpeifwweRvCVtkKdialOLis6RY0utMEFonejHpdHBKYlZiPBmZvRfFKtSierYlKzJVxNMrasDXIRbSq3zzXKI_Vx25zJ2ZP3rwlgiD5Me5XyTe1FN28curWRHF-NEVSHGYnStOmCVs4z6Stdl_TboID5b_kU7e-DBjhCNpjIU7MEYEVB9RrAQ6QhHgy_A8RIui-ECdt05f8dFWmj4KqBactG4KNJ7vgW-CsHb_8898PQ64v9KNArwE_oGDFODpEb35paCEMPiALEYh2uSNQr27kEnMidOjptAQ-3svJfg
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weber Gas Griil for chicken and slow cookin ribs.
    Weber Kettle and Cowboy hardwood for steaks.
    Weber Q for camping.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lump Hardwood Charcoal started in a Chimney in my New Braunfels smoker, I'll have it lit and hot just as fast as a propane grill and the food will be 20x better. Only time I use propane is for tailgating. I grill out several times per week, year round. This smoker / Grill is better than 9 yrs old and gets a workout. Never had a gas grill last more then 3 yrs.

hardwood-lump-charcoal.jpg + bbq-starter-chimney-lg.jpg + nbs.jpg
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Cook with gas only in the house here, charcole and hard wood for flavor in grill/smoker, using an electric starter is a peice of cake. plug it in, pile the charcole up in a pile and walk away, twenty minutes later you have a nice hot fire, remove the starter and cook. gas is just easy, and if easy is your game and not finished product go for it.
  • Options
    StokesStokes Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charcoal is WAY better tasting, but if you're only cooking for two people, a few times a year, you may as well go propane. The heat/cooking is over when you want it to be, and it's just fast. The propane grill I use here (usually just for me), has the briquettes in it, I dont really know WTH they are, but they do something, because it's the closest I've come to charcoal.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I broke down and bought the combo grill. 1/2 gas and 1/2 charcoal w/ the smoker attachment on the right side and a propane burner on the left for a pot or pan. $279 at Academy. Bought the display and had to replace a couple of screws. I like it so far.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Gas= Easy! Charcoal= Pain in the a**!
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are a working couple,like me and my wife,we don't have time for charcole!I used many cheap grills over the years,they don't last very long. I found(through a friend)a grill made by "Wilmington" Grill. Co.,thats all stainless,and works with either natural gas or propane.I prefer propane over the former.Propane gets hotter. I also have a big tank that the gas co. refills when I need it.The Wilmington Grill cooks like no other.Steaks ,roasts.chicken,ribs and fish! It has a SST pan that catches the drippings an heats them up to go back into the meat.The flavor is unreal.It will be the last grill you will ever need.[:o)]www.wilmingtongrill.com you will not be disappointed
  • Options
    HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my gas grill. It is so nice to have the meal going in seconds instead of long minutes. That being said if you are only using it a few times a year go with a charcoal grill.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i made burgers last night on a charcoal grill. The tasted lovely.[:D]
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charcoal is the only thing I will use. If I wanted to cook on gas, I will go inside and cook on the stove. I just used my charcoal grill with a side smoker box to smoke an entire pork shoulder this weekend. Show me a gas grill that will give me the same flavor charcoal grills get and I may consider one.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I just bought a new charcoal grill the other day. One of those small 20 dollar jobs that wally world carries. Great for a few burgers and hotdogs. Its as big as I need. Does'nt take long to get going at all. And I think the food tastes better than with gas.