In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man Forced to Choose Who to Save: Wife or Son

EMCSEMCS Member Posts: 4,063
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Man Forced to Choose Who to Save: Wife or Son

It is the choice no parent - or spouse - should ever have to make.

When New Zealand woman Vanessa Horton crashed her car into a river near the family home, her husband had to make the excruciating choice between saving her or rescuing his son, who was trapped in the sinking car.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,577945,00.html?test=latestnews

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    He did right and made the easy rescue first, but Im sure it will haunt him for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel for the man and am glad I didn't have to make that decision.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    Sounds like he really couldn't get to the son. What an awful thing to go through.
    Tom
  • Options
    hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    "Sorry honey"

She'd want me to save our kids before her, it wouldn't even be a question.

That is IF I didn't die rescuing them both.

(Didn't read article, BTW.)

Chris
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hehateme
    "Sorry honey"

Chris
    The decision was'nt hers to make, but Im sure she would'nt want a dead husband and son!
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    He did right and made the easy rescue first, but Im sure it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

+1

I remember seeing a study done in which men and women were asked who they would save first, their wife or their child.

A majority of men (I can remember how big a majority) said they would save their spouse.

A heavy majority of women said they would save their child first.

BTW, I'm not saying that was the case in this instance.....sounds like the kid was under around 10 ft of water.

Wonder how much pressure would have been on that door?
  • Options
    hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    "Sorry honey"

Chris
    The decision was'nt hers to make, but Im sure she would'nt want a dead husband and son!

True.

I didn't read it, but will when I get home. It sounds very horrible, and I definitley feel for the people involved.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The London Times report makes it sound as if both the lady and her son's friend both panicked, for whatever reason(s), and left her unconscious son in the car. What is surprising is that firefighters uing their breathing apparatus also failed to reach the kid.
    What's next?
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Sorry honey"

Chris

Good point.
  • Options
    striperbwarestriperbware Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also did not read this article, but situations like this should always be a NO-BRAINER. Any parent worth having the privelege to be blessed with children should demand that their children be rescued before they are.

I have been on this Earth for 45 years, and I can't imagine my kids that are only 5 now, not having the opportunity to experience the things in life that I have done. I could die happily right now as long as I know my kids are OK.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    He really didn't have a choice. The car was rapidly sinking while his wife was floundering on the surface and going under. He couldn't get to the car so he at least was able to save one loved one. Poor guy.
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I can't begin to imagine what is going to be going through his mind the rest of his life. Lossing a child is something every parent fears most, and a case like this has to make it even harder to come to terms with.

prayer sent for the entire family
  • Options
    legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    That sucks for all involved. I would choose my daughters first though . That is just me
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know what I would do, I hope nothing ever happens like that I have to choose..

I would want smoeone to save my kids first, though. If I cant save myself or my kids, myself, then its a lost cause getting me out if they arent already.. I wouldnt go if they arent out.. Get them out first.. no matter the cost
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legionkahn
    That sucks for all involved. I would choose my daughters first though . That is just me

You need to read the London times story. Not even firefighters with diving gear could get to the boy.
    What's next?
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like his only real choice was lose a wife and a son or just a son. I cannot imagine his thoughts afterward. The pain and self inflicted guilt must be horrible.
  • Options
    watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    All I can say, is I couldn't even begin to judge this mans decision, the "HORROR" of it all is beyond me what that family just went through.