In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Know your boilers? Cleaver or Johnson?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
2083292950103563585S600x600Q85.jpg
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it. I am a steam engineer in Ohio. Those little fire tube boilers can run and run it has been awhile since I ran one that size. I fired pulverizecd coal in a small municipal power plant in Shelby Ohio for awhile now I run small "D" type boilers.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ithaca4me
    I like it. I am a steam engineer in Ohio. Those little fire tube boilers can run and run it has been awhile since I ran one that size. I fired pulverizecd coal in a small municipal power plant in Shelby Ohio for awhile now I run small "D" type boilers.
    Yes we use a Johnson 150 and a Cleaver 100 for a small Hospital, everything being redundant.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I was about 100' from one of those when it blew up. It was running on natural gas and something about a problem about a purge cycle. About all I know about boilers is that they make hot water or steam and use natural gas, oil or coal to do it.

There was a steel roll up door right behind this boiler, had shrapnel go through the door and the other end of the boiler was laying on the floor.

Sounded like an 81 mortar round going off.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Worked on a NEW WOOD fired boiler this summer at Savanna River Site. Made by the Hurst Boiler Co. of Coolidge Ga. It was a
    300 hp one. Supplied 600 pounds of steam
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always give the smaller package boilers a great deal of respect and stay as far away from them as I can. Them and paper mill recovery boilers. When I was much younger I saw a several ton clinker fall from the superheat section at Plant Bowen during an outage. Still amazed that the safety net held it!

quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    I was about 100' from one of those when it blew up. It was running on natural gas and something about a problem about a purge cycle. About all I know about boilers is that they make hot water or steam and use natural gas, oil or coal to do it.

There was a steel roll up door right behind this boiler, had shrapnel go through the door and the other end of the boiler was laying on the floor.

Sounded like an 81 mortar round going off.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wood fired is fun but tricky, I designed a reburn cell that burned the fly ash from a wood fired boiler in Northern California. Added an extra 2 megawatts to the plant (from 11 to 13) and reduced their waste hauling cost by over a million. It was featured in Power back in 92 or 93, I think I have a copy around here somewhere.

quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Worked on a NEW WOOD fired boiler this summer at Savanna River Site. Made by the Hurst Boiler Co. of Coolidge Ga. It was a
    300 hp one. Supplied 600 pounds of steam
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Capt- I am a painter.So dont know much about boilers. The guy from
    Hurst claimed they were the largest in the world. Said they make only
    the boilers. Will burn most anything . Had some in south Ga that burn
    pecan hulls. Even had one in north Ga that burned chicken crap. Said
    they build bunches in Brazil where theres so much fuel. Really neat.
    They had tours coming daily looking at this thing amazed like it was
    Invention of the light bulb[:D] Really burned clean too. They fired
    it up during the break in and saw it burn 4 days and never a puff of
    smoke. The place always smelled like a homey campfire. They are using
    the ashes for fertilizer on the site.[:D]
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Cleaver Brooks, possibly a 300Hp, fired by natural gas or fuel oil. Now ask me how I know[:p]

I just re-read your reply about it being a 100 HP. We had 3 300HP and one 400Hp boilers in the heat plant that I worked in last. We would tear them down every spring, run the tubes, PM all the cutoffs, fix any and all plumbing, clean deareators and make up tanks, clean the grease pits, paint everything that stood still and wax the floors. In the fall we had a microwave, coffee pot, TV, broadband computer access, a high back leather chair and a light switch on the wall. It was kind of like watching a furnace run. Life was good until they decided to switch to oil on high demand times. That could interupt your rest.[:D]

We heated 5 large buildings including the state capitol and the state office building.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    Here's three natural gas Kewanee's I piped in this past summer.

Picture024.jpg