In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HK MR762 vs FN SCAR 17 vs POF 308

bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a POF 308 Recon or hold off for the SCAR or the MR762. I'm looking for a EBR in 308 with 16" barrel and piston driven. I guess a PTR91 is an option also, although I am very familiar with the AR style setup so I think cross training to 1 of the other 3 would be quicker/easier. I've also heard the PTR is extremely reliable, but alot of people say it's not as accurate as the POF or the AR10s. I have also consider the m1a socom16 with a Sage stock, but they are a good deal heavier than the POF.

I'm guessing the SCAR 17 is going to be coming some time next year and be priced similarly to the POF 308, the HK who knows if it will ever get to the US or what it will cost.

I think the best part about the POF is the made in USA, they offer a 25 round mag (although it's expensive), and they offer a drop in 5lb trigger. I don't know if the scar or the mr762 is going to take an AR15 or AR10 trigger or if they have a one of a kind trigger.

Give me some ideas here,

Comments

• Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    LMT & LWRC is offering 7.62 carbines too.. A DS Arms fal carbine might be something to look into also, And you can get more reasonable priced 30 round mags for them..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    LMT & LWRC is offering 7.62 carbines too.. A DS Arms fal carbine might be something to look into also, And you can get more reasonable priced 30 round mags for them..

Really?
    I thought the REPR was the only 308 LWRC had and I thought is was only in 12 and 20" barrel. I also did not know LMT made anything outside of the 5.56 and 6.8

EDIT:
    Just looked up the REPR, you're right it does come in a 16", I might have to consider that one too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The LMT should be on the market within the next few months..

LWRC 16" carbine
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148493680
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The LMT should be on the market within the next few months..

LWRC 16" carbine
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148493680

Thanks for the heads up on the LMT, I'm a big fan of their stuff, hopefully they make it a piston.

I think I'll shoot an email to their CS now to find out what they can tell me about what/when/how much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me know what you find out..
  • Options
    edited November -1

I asked...

Any truth to the rumor of LMT coming out with a 308 carbine? If so will it be a piston or gas blow back?

They responded...

Ben
    Yes it is not a rumor. Our LMT MWS will be released at the upcoming SHOT Show. The weapon will be a larger monolithic rail platform and will be a direct impingement weapon for now.

Best regards,

Ryan Johnson
    Sales Representative
    Lewis Machine & Tool Co.

So I guess it will be awhile before they get the piston model to market.
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Why a 16" in the .308 if you do not mind me asking?

I have a scout, and a ar with a 16" in .308, and I much prefer the 18" for that round.

Muzzle blast is terrible with the 16" and you do give up quite a bit of velocity.

If I had it all to do over again I would have stuck with the 18" in this caliber, not so much longer that they are awkward, with a lot of benefits over the shorter tube. Just my $.02
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Out of all the ones you've posted i'd go with a DSA STG tactical carbine with a folding para stock, extended scopemount, hampton rearsight, speedtrigger job and vortex flash supressor.. If I want rails get em to add their 4 railed short FAL handguard, It interfaces with the extended scopemount to make the 12oclock rail almost continious to the front sight block..

but thats just me..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187

I asked...

Any truth to the rumor of LMT coming out with a 308 carbine? If so will it be a piston or gas blow back?

They responded...

Ben
    Yes it is not a rumor. Our LMT MWS will be released at the upcoming SHOT Show. The weapon will be a larger monolithic rail platform and will be a direct impingement weapon for now.

Best regards,

Ryan Johnson
    Sales Representative
    Lewis Machine & Tool Co.

So I guess it will be awhile before they get the piston model to market.

does That take it off the list?

From what I have read they have put quite abit of working knowledge into it..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Friendly

I have a scout, and a ar with a 16" in .308, and I much prefer the 18" for that round.

Muzzle blast is terrible with the 16" and you do give up quite a bit of velocity.

If I had it all to do over again I would have stuck with the 18" in this caliber, not so much longer that they are awkward, with a lot of benefits over the shorter tube. Just my $.02

I like the added mobility and comfort of the 16". I've owned a HK91 w/ 18" and a clone that had a 16". The 16" obviously has a muzzle velocity loss and is louder, but it justs feels better to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I like the added mobility and comfort of the 16". I've owned a HK91 w/ 18" and a clone that had a 16". The 16" obviously has a muzzle velocity loss and is louder, but it justs feels better to me.
    Thanks, was just curious
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think if I was going to drop $2500+ into the carbine I'd have to go with a piston instead of gas blow back so LMT is probably off the list for now.

I'm really leaning towards the 16" LWRC REPR or the POF Recon right now. The STG is a fine rifle, but I like the look and feel of the AR type setup better.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    +1

And the PTR isn't piston driven...

Out of all the ones you've posted i'd go with a DSA STG tactical carbine with a folding para stock, extended scopemount, hampton rearsight, speedtrigger job and vortex flash supressor.. If I want rails get em to add their 4 railed short FAL handguard, It interfaces with the extended scopemount to make the 12oclock rail almost continious to the front sight block..

but thats just me..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well thats the main thing, I think the POF has alot in common with the HK 416, and I have heard second hand bad news about the 416 5.56 in the war...

but thats second hand, What I do know is the new LW M6 is a damn fine piece of kit..

I havent seen any 8,000+ round count reports on the REPR Or POF .30 from non company related users... Out of the two systems, LWRC is simpler...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well thats the main thing, I think the POF has alot in common with the HK 416, and I have heard second hand bad news about the 416 5.56 in the war...

but thats second hand, What I do know is the new LW M6 is a damn fine piece of kit..

I havent seen any 8,000+ round count reports on the REPR Or POF .30 from non company related users... Out of the two systems, LWRC is simpler...
    I do not have a lwrc in .308, but my m6 is my favorit ar. The gun is just great on all fronts
  • Options
    edited November -1

I do not have a lwrc in .308, but my m6 is my favorit ar. The gun is just great on all fronts

Thats why I also like CMMG mid length med con uppers with a Troy 10" rail, good ballance and good reliability.. 10" handguards and a medium weight barrel just makes for AR rifles that handle better IMHO..

The super light car length rifles I have been building just dont have the swing to them, they arent as well ballanced for me no matter what i've tried.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thats why I also like CMMG mid length med con uppers with a Troy 10" rail, good ballance and good reliability.. 10" handguards and a medium weight barrel just makes for AR rifles that handle better IMHO..

The super light car length rifles I have been building just dont have the swing to them, they arent as well ballanced for me no matter what i've tried.

I agree about the balance of the mid length with medium weight barrels. Although, I have found that a carbine with m4 barrel and an after market piston kit like the adams arms kit has the same balanced feel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How does your AA gun shoot?

i'm going to erase my groups post, didntmeanto hijack.. sorry.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first choice would be an M1A with a Troy MCS (not Sage) stock. Compare the two side by side and you will see why.
    Second, probably the FN SCAR 17.
    3d POF is still an excellent 308.
    All 3 excellent choices in my opinion.

Last all other .308s.

BHale-I'm about to email you.

Crap. You don't have a way to email you through the forum. Email me and I will get back to you with some information that will interest you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    My first choice would be an M1A with a Troy MCS (not Sage) stock. Compare the two side by side and you will see why.

Last all other .308s.

Crap. You don't have a way to email you through the forum. Email me and I will get back to you with some information that will interest you.

my email is listed on my profile under the location
    benhale187@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How does your AA gun shoot?

i'm going to erase my groups post, didntmeanto hijack.. sorry.

great, no issues at all yet on any of the 2 AA kits I have installed on a pistol, carbine and mid length.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Last all other .308s.

my email is listed on my profile under the location
    benhale187@yahoo.com

ok thanks, email sent. I didn't check your profile, just the button on the posts.