In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silly ATF audit..lasted all of 15 minutes if that!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,704 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
The guy shows up to introduce himself and let us know he will be back the next day to start an inspection. (I've done enough of these over the years and this was pretty normal.) He verifies our FFL# and is a bit confused because he is not showing the same number......he has an old FFL#.

When we got the LLC going we had to get a new FFL because it "renamed" the business and everything has to match. When they did the last inspection they should have caught this mess....but they aren't in this to find THEIR errors. [:D]

I just thought it was funny because the guy was so confused. I did get to hand over a bunch of boxes that were stored away in the barn.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    WERE those boxes you forgot to ship with all those guns that arrived with no original box. OH my bad [}:)] maybe they were boxes of records in the old business.I think if I had a dealer's lic I would change business name every 5 years Then I would not have to keep records in house just give to BATFE you know darn well that would never be able to find a record they store but you get hung out to dry if you misplace a record
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Silly ATF audit..lasted all of 15 minutes if that!" You should call his boss and complain that he didn't spend enough time at your place and you want a proper audit. Mention that you pay their salaries. HAHA We just had our ATF audit last week. Told us they would be here a week but finished in two days. They are pretty nice folks here.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    So that is what you do with the boxes when I buy guns from you.[:D]
    [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two weeks ago...

Two agents, four and a half days = no runs, no hits, no errors! The agents though made 4 minor mistakes which were caught in the final review.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A few years ago they showed up and did a typical inspection....found 13 errors....which the majority were nonsense. Someone didn't put the state of residence at the bottom of the form, didn't put NMN in the middle name box. A few of the errors shouldn't have counted because they found we didn't log out a gun....I have no clue how it happened because it was actually something that Jimmy bought and I remember doing the 4473 myself. That one error actually counted for three or four errors the way they handled things. A couple things were because Shelby is not a "gun" person and she wrote the wrong thing in our books.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    "Silly ATF audit..lasted all of 15 minutes if that!" You should call his boss and complain that he didn't spend enough time at your place and you want a proper audit. Mention that you pay their salaries. HAHA We just had our ATF audit last week. Told us they would be here a week but finished in two days. They are pretty nice folks here.

These guys are also all pretty decent. The guy that did our first audit has been promoted and is our region's supervisor. He is the one I talked to at the gun show. My one and ONLY issue has always been the "common sense" thing. No matter how stupid it is....you cannot expect to be able to use common sense.

We had a county police officer who bought a single shot shotgun. He got a delay. The next day he decided he wanted to buy a second single shot so he could put them in both bathrooms (I didn't ask details.) You would think you could just add that gun to the second sheet.....but NOOOooooooooo.....that is what a normal person would do and we cannot do things that way.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

These guys are also all pretty decent. The guy that did our first audit has been promoted and is our region's supervisor. He is the one I talked to at the gun show. My one and ONLY issue has always been the "common sense" thing. No matter how stupid it is....you cannot expect to be able to use common sense.

We had a county police officer who bought a single shot shotgun. He got a delay. The next day he decided he wanted to buy a second single shot so he could put them in both bathrooms (I didn't ask details.) You would think you could just add that gun to the second sheet.....but NOOOooooooooo.....that is what a normal person would do and we cannot do things that way.

(I don't keep any single-shots in my bathrooms) but there is room on the 4473 for more than one firearm -- I've had more than one come into the shop where I get transfers done in a single week, and they've used the same 4473 -- noting and dating each firearm individually on it. Are you saying this isn't proper?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

(I don't keep any single-shots in my bathrooms) but there is room on the 4473 for more than one firearm -- I've had more than one come into the shop where I get transfers done in a single week, and they've used the same 4473 -- noting and dating each firearm individually on it. Are you saying this isn't proper?

That is one of the stupid mistakes they counted as an error during that one inspection several years ago. They said you should do a new form once someone leaves the building....you cannot add to the sheet once the transaction is over. Its crazy to me....but the next agent that does an inspection will have his own ideas on this, so you cannot be "right" on anything any way.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Have some of this for air freshener on hand for next time they come.

http://www.liquidass.com/

I have some of that. I bought it to mess with guys at work. We had to go to the porta johns (in july/august) to get some fresh air. That should tell you all you need to know.