In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When quotes go bad

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
I had the front and rear differential oil change out quoted when they rebuilt my transmission. Paid for everything and the dealer couldn't get to it that day upon pickup. Went back for an appointment they set up to do the fluid change in both differentials and they didn't have the gaskets. Made the appt. this week to do them. Now the guy calls me and said a big mistake has happened. He wants to just silicone the covers on ( without gaskets ) and still will lose money. I told him the truck came with gaskets and I need gaskets replaced when they bust the bolts loose. I doubt the used gasket can be used again. So his $59.95 change out that is written on the estimate for both has turned into a 52 dollar for each gasket and 55 bucks for synthetic gear oil that is required.no labor charges were even discussed. Reckon I will negotiate tomorrow ...

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a pretty simple job Gary, I would do that one myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is simple and I wanted them to do it while doing the transmission. They didn't get to it BUT I already paid for it.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $52 each for gaskets, when a suction gun can be had for less than $20?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    So, the same outfit that rebuilt the tranny is claiming they will lose money on the job if they have to eat the cost of the diff gaskets? BS. Make them honor their quote. They made money on the tranny, I am sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    $52 each for gaskets, when a suction gun can be had for less than $20?

My thoughts exactly. Fluid cost is just about the same as their quote.
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    So, the same outfit that rebuilt the tranny is claiming they will lose money on the job if they have to eat the cost of the diff gaskets? BS. Make them honor their quote. They made money on the tranny, I am sure.

Yup, they quoted, they eat it. Just make sure they do it right.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Dana 60 or 70 series gasket costs $9.00, A Ford f250/350 diff. gasket costs $14.00. What truck do you have that uses a $52 gasket????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heck yes they made money on the rebuild. Even told me afterwards I didn't need to change the oil in the differentials. I replied.. that isn't what the owner manual says.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    A Dana 60 or 70 series gasket costs $9.00, A Ford f250/350 diff. gasket costs $14.00. What truck do you have that uses a $52 gasket????

Has a 9.25 front and 11.5 rear differential. 06 3500 Dodge 4x4

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_rear-axle-gasket-set-felpro_20780438-p?searchTerm=gasket
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's crazy!! My cost is $31 and $38 for them.

Or one tube of rvt silicone at $7.00 [;)][;)]
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just have them suck the old fluid out and replace. No need to remove the cover. If it isn't leaking now, why take the chance of it leaking later?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that info on cost... he is a dealer and can get them cheaper than me..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Thanks for that info on cost... he is a dealer and can get them cheaper than me..

The super high price got me a little intrigued, so I looked around after I asked my dealer friends about it. Seems Amazon will sell you it for $38.12 from Advance auto parts, but it's 52 in their stores.
    Carpartsshop has them for 40. All are felpro brand. Just weird.[?]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Heck yes they made money on the rebuild. Even told me afterwards I didn't need to change the oil in the differentials. I replied.. that isn't what the owner manual says.

Well then, I say boo friggin' hoo to that outfit. You can bet that if the roles were reversed, and you were charged $55 for a $10 gasket, you would not hear a peep from them. I would also watch them put in the synthetic, just to make sure they don't pull the 'ol switcheroo & try to fill it with cheap dinosaur gear lube.